Wednesday, 21 August 2013

Hot and Sunny Intervals

Hey there fellow pavement pounders, ;)

I hope your day is sunny and bright like it is here in Halifax. In fact, it may have been a bit too sunny for my a.m. run. Pweph, it was a hot one!

My training plan had a 9 mile run on schedule for today. Can you believe I am in week 10/18 for the PEI marathon!? 

I also wanted to get in some fast strides today since I'm finally feeling better from my half marathon that was on Aug. 11.

My run consisted of 30 minutes easy warm up running followed by fast repeats of 400m with recovery jogs in between each interval.  I ran my entire run on the flat gravel trail, as opposed to the asphalt street where I normally run them due to the high heat.  Yes, it was 30 degrees Celsius when I was out running. :S  When I had nailed down 8 fast repeats I decided to begin my recovery jog home, (15 minutes or so).

It was little harder to go fast on the gravel, but the effort was certainly there. I was sure to take some hydration with me today, (3 bottles of citrus nuun water), to be on the safe side. 


The Run

9.5 miles total
8 x 400m fast repeats
Total running time: 1:15:37
Avg. Pace/mile 7:57



I am really enjoying hydrating with nuun. As you know, I am an avid Gatorade drinker and I do love me some lemon lime. :D  But, I decided to try out these nuun tablets since they have far less calories and sugar than the usual sports drink. The citrus flavour is more appealing to me than the berry one so far.  Funny thing: I don't enjoy the berry flavoured Gu's either..........weird. 

Recovery Shake
Today's shake was enjoyed out on the sunny hot deck with Miss Lola. :)  Here's what I threw in:
  • one banana
  • handful of ice cubes
  • one orange
  • one scoop of strawberry banana protein powder
  • frozen pineapple chunks
  • vanilla almond milk
  • Super tasty!



After my run I did an hour or so of yard work.........this lead me to my second shower of the day.  Yardwork = hard work.  Yes, I made that up myself. :D

Well, we'd like to thank you for checking in on us crazy gals, (Lola & I of course), here at GGR. ;)  Have a spectacular day!

Happy Running,
Heather :)
P.S. Lola totally thinks I'm cramping her style....such a diva!

5 comments:

  1. random question- a whole orange with peelings or just the inside?

    You've been such a trooper this summer with running in the humidity! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My bad......lol. "One PEELED orange!"

      Thanks Heidi. I think knowing how I'd feel if I didn't run, gets me out the door in this crazy humidity. :D

      Delete
  2. Looks like an awesome run! I don't know how you face the heat...you're a beast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The heat is challenging for sure.......I'm ready for Autumn running! :)

      Delete
  3. Sports betting system earn +$3,624 PROFIT last week...

    Z-Code System winning bets and forecasts for MLB, NHL, NBA & NFL!!!

    ReplyDelete