Wednesday, 11 January 2017

Patriot's Day!!! An Advanced Screening :)

As soon as Michelle from Maritime Race Weekend announced a contest to win tickets to see an advanced screening of Patriot's Day starring Mark Wahlberg I knew I had to enter and by some divine intervention get to see the movie about the Boston Marathon Bombings and following Manhunt! I just had to.
Thanks Wikipedia for the image!

On Saturday, I received notification that I in fact WAS GOING! YAY!!!! Thanks Michelle!

Sam and I had made a deal during the contest that if either had won, we would reciprocate the invite...therefore, she was my date lol.

We loaded up on coffee, popcorn and jelly beans and we were good to go!

But not before a Selfie attempt with our friend Nick. :)

The theatre was packed! Probably as populated as the start line of a marathon. ;)

I wasn't sure what to expect. I mean, this movie was hoping to capture some really big moments in history for everyone! You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who didn't know of someone involved in the Boston Marathon Bombings on April 15th, 2013. 

Having Mark Wahlberg on cast was certainly a big draw for me-I love ALL his movies! I am certainly not a film critic but I thought he did an excellent job playing the role. Some of his lines made the whole theatre chuckle, while at the same time relaying a serious personality of an officer on a mission.

There was quite a bit of actual footage in the film which was really intriguing to me since at the time of the marathon bombings and aftermath, I didn't watch much of the media footage. I can't say for sure I was in shock but I really didn't want to relive the devastation when I got back home to Nova Scotia. It was really upsetting.

I was overly excited at the beginning when they showed the runners and the start line in Hopkinton! What is it about runners and the allure of the Boston Marathon?!

Following the interest and excitement of the actual running happening in the movie when the two explosions happened it quickly focused my attention back onto the horrific events of that day. I felt emotional when the blasts went off and the smoke quickly filled the air. Vivid details of that day on Boylston came flashing back to me. I still sometimes have to say to myself "I was there!" It still seems surreal. We really got a closer look at the search for the bombers and the lives affected. The manhunt was intense for me! I whispered to Sam a few times about the nerves and intensity.

Without sharing all the details of the film with you I will give you two pieces of advice:
1. Bring tissues and 2. Don't forget to wear waterproof mascara!

Go see Patriot's Day and Enjoy!!! Thanks again to Michelle for the awesome opportunity!



Happy Running,
Heather :)

2 comments:

  1. I have seen almost every documentary of the Boston Marathon on this day and watched a similar movie that was on HBO so I haven't decided if I will go see this or not. As you know, my sister was right there at the finish line when the bombings happened so not sure she'll want to see it all played out again on the big screen. But then again, like you she avoided all news and Media days after the race so maybe she will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just watched Patriot's Day last night! It was hard to watch -- and I wasn't even still around the finish line like you were. It was so well done, though.

    ReplyDelete