Saturday, 9 January 2016

6 Things Saturday!

Happy Saturday!

Now that I'm back to work Saturday is without a doubt my favourite day of the week, for sure. ;) Lola and I got to enjoy a nice little sleep in until 8:30 today!!! Matt is not much of a fan for sleeping in, lol.

I thought that for today I'd do a Saturday 6 instead of the Friday 5 that I originally intended but I got totally immersed into Project Pack up Christmas that took place at the Callaghan residence last night.

1. Now you see it, now you don't. :( I was sad to pack the Christmas tree away this year. Normally I'm eager to get the house back into some state of normalcy and tidiness, but I really grew to to enjoy the lights during the evening.


2. Training has begun! Currently I'm following Hal Higdon's Advanced 1 Marathon Training Plan, but on January 25the 12 week Boston Bound plan also by Hal Higdon comes into effect. They have very similar structures so it won't be much of a change really. I have already started praying to the snow Gods to be kind to us this winter. 

One last photo with the Christmas Lights. 
Hill training is a part of the training that comes along with Boston prep. This past Thursday I had 4 x hill repeats on the plan. I stuck close to home and used the nearest daunting hill with a 2mi warm up, 4x hill with a good cool down for a total of 7 miles. I don't like to be too aggressive on the hill because my calves and Achilles have gotten cranky with me in the past when I have.


I'm also back on a very strict "Friday is REST day" plan. I almost considered running after work yesterday, almost. I ran into Marg at the grocery store and she asked, "I thought Friday was a rest day?" LOL...I think that we were meant to see each other yesterday to remind me about that. I hadn't taken a day off running since Dec. 4 so I was long overdue. I want to train and recover PROPERLY for my body.

3. Nutrition! Now that the holly jolly chocolate & cheese eating season has come to a close, it's time to get back on track with quality foods for quality performance. ;)
Tilapia, purple potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots and broccoli.
 Oatmeal and Banana for breakfast!

And of course, some essentials. :)
I'm pretty sure this was my third trip to the grocery store this week!
So I have a little grapefruit story for you:
I take a grapefruit with me to school every day and this past week one of my students asked me what I was eating because I was eating in the class with them. When I replied, "It's a grapefruit!" Several of them gave me wide eyes and had no idea what it was. My super sweet and awesome EPA who works with a student in my class took it upon herself to buy a few grapefruits for the class to taste test the very next day. LOL...after a 10-1 countdown she got them to all take a taste at the same time. I'm pretty sure I can count on one hand the students who gave it a thumbs up...lol.

4. Tunes! For some reason I've been listening to very mellow music on the run these days. One of my favourites I've recently re added to my running play list is this one:
I caught myself singing this out loud in the photocopy room on Thursday when I thought I was ALONE. Nope, a coworker was behind the tall bookcase chopping paper and heard me...LOL. I was super embarrassed!
 Another current fave of mine is this one:

I'm obsessed with Poema's "Forget you in LA."


 5. 100 days until the Boston Marathon!!! You know a marathon is pretty darn great when the WORLD starts counting down and making a big deal of a 100 day countdown.
I celebrated with my 7 mile run. :)
6. Running accessories! So today I took Lola to get her face trimmed since her fur was totally covering her eyes. On the way home I stopped to get her a little treat and noticed a cute little gift shop near by where I found this:
This super cute gold running bangle on the right. I LOVE it! 
Lola says, "Adios folks." :)

 Thanks for checkin' in!!!

What are  you training for currently? 
Are you a grapefruit fan? 
What's your current favourite tune?

Happy Running,
Heather :)

11 comments:

  1. I do not like grapefruits. I do like oranges but I don't eat them much. I actually don't eat a whole lot of fruit anymore, but I'm trying to get back into nanners. Wait, does wine count? Because then I have fruit every night!

    That is a really cute bracelet, in fact I like all the bracelets you have on! I can't tell if there are two or a bunch.

    I feel relieved that the Christmas decorations are away but it is much more homey with them up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I think wine totally counts. These are actually all separate bracelets except for the colored ones. There's three of them there but they have many different strings.

      Delete
  2. My mom used to eat grapefruit all the time when I was growing up and I could never get used to the tartness of it.

    I love that little gift store.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't had a grapefruit in a while, but now it sounds really good! Good luck with the Boston training!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look like you are totally on track with the nutrition! I am still struggling a bit, I need to get back on it.
    It sad when all the sparkle comes down.
    Hills are very tough on the calf muscles, it took me quite awhile to rebuild and feel strong after my injury...sadly, right now I am battling a new one, so I think the March race I had planned will be a no go.
    I love your song choices :) keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some days are a nutritional struggle for me too!

      Delete
  5. Awww, that grapefruit story!!! I like mine with sugar - it's hard to find a naturally sweet grapefruit, but I DO love how tart they are. I think it's an acquired taste haha. I bet you saw some funny puckered faces when they tasted it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were some interesting ones that's for sure!

      Delete
  6. Endurance House Oceanside is your one-stop-shop running shoes & accessories store in the Oceanside area. Endurance House has running shoes, running gear,walking shoes & more!

    Running Accessories for men Oceanside
    running gear for men Oceanside

    ReplyDelete