Sunday, 29 March 2015

Cliff Matthews Memorial Run at the Moose 25k Run

Today was the annual Cow Bay Moose Run 25km. This year it was in memory of an infamous Running Coach in these parts named Cliff Matthews who passed away in Kenya this past week while training some runners from Nova Scotia for the Boston Marathon.

If you are a runner in Nova Scotia, you definitely have heard the name Cliff Matthews a time or two, and hey maybe even trained with him. I did not train with him but met him through Matt after their trip to Boston in 2011 and he has given me tidbits of advice here and there. He even cheered me on during those last tough 5k at the Valley Harvest Marathon. And when you are told "Your form looked strong and efficient" from Cliff, you brag about it all the way home to Matt, lol.

So today's run was all about Cliff and the start had some emotional stories for sure to offer great running motivation.
Photo courtesy of Tim Chessnutt

First off, I should tell  you that the run was a major question for Matt and I this morning since we got totally slammed with MORE SNOW last night, womp womp. But, we headed over after Matt checked out the roads early this morning. Luckily the plow trucks had done a pristine job in Cow Bay so we only actually ran on snow for a mile or two...maybe not even 2. There was a lot of melt which meant very wet feet though, lol.

Sort of sunny hey? ;)

The sun was out in full blaze and by 3 miles in I was hot hot hot! For some reason I tend to generate a lot of heat when I run. I ran with my gloves in my hand for a few more miles and then they were just annoying me so I had to stash them. I'm not going to tell you exactly where I put them, but lets just say my A cups were looking more like Bs at the finish, lol. ;)

The route did not get any easier this year than last year and I can say that for certain!

Man, them hills! But I was once again in awe of the spectacular scenery with the glistening ocean, beach waves, snow on trees and large windmills. It was gorgeous!

Realising that I had started too fast...not crazy fast, just a bit faster than I had planned, I eased back a bit after running with Luke for nearly 4 miles.
FYI Luke is going to rock his Spring Marathon!

I was a bit more gentle on the hills this year as well since I struggled with Achilles issues after this particular run last year right before Boston.

At 8ish miles I had a Salted Caramel Gu and I walked through each water station.

My effort was hard today to maintain MP, but somehow I did it. Whether I can hold that average pace for another ten miles remains a question since a lot of my runs have been indoors. You can tell where I encountered a few hills. ;)

I am very proud of my run today and it was more about the experience and dedication to Cliff and you could really pick up on that vibe from all the runners.

It was a great day!

The Stats:

And of course, Lola says 'hi.' <3

Thanks for stopping by the GGR blog and live life to the fullest. :)

Happy Running,
Heather :)

8 comments:

  1. Strong run, Heather! Looks like you need to kick Lola off that chair so you can take a load off. Nevermind. I know you are like me and would never kick something so beautiful off the furniture!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Lola in her little sofa! Congrat's on the run today...those hills would scare me off big time!! Great job to you and Matt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am amazed that not only can you hold that pace, but in SNOW no less! You continue to be such an inspiration to me. I think running in the snow looks fun, but racing in the snow is a different story haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that was some serious elevation! Good training for Boston though I guess. Congrats on your finish and your great pace throughout!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You go girl! Sorry to hear about your local running loss, he sounds like he was an awesome part of your local running community. You smashed your race, even though you took it 'easy'! I'm getting excited for you and all the other Boston runners! xoxo, ganeeban

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa!! Those hills! That weather! You are so awesome for running strong in this race!

    JUST LOOK AT LOLA! I love her sitting on couch cuddling with her little friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome race! In the snow?!!?!! You never cease to amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that was some serious hillls! Great finish time :) I am awed you did that in snowy conditions.

    ReplyDelete