Sunday, 8 February 2015

Sunday RUNday, Oh What Fun Day! ;)

If you read my post yesterday you will remember that today I had 14 miles to tackle. I know 14 (22.4km) is not such a huge distance, but the current street conditions sure make it feel like a challenge.

Let's check out my long run fuel...
Chicken breast, sweet potato and vegetable rice. 
 Long Run Prep: gadgets, GUs, nuun, headband & fuel belt.

No way, not today. Sorry Yak Trax. ;)

Time to layer up like a pro.
Plus of course, headband, sunglasses, jacket and mittens.
 "Mommy, I'm sitting right here. Snap my pic too so I can get a treat!"

Oh joy! Another long run in -20! This is already starting out to be a great day! ;) LOL ----> Sarcasm

The itty bitty sections of sidewalk I did encounter were like this ... so hmm, yeah.

It was so cold my iPhone totally froze and then apparently was super confused!
iPhone, if I cooled you down any more than you were, we'd be seeing penguins. 
After chugging along for slightly more than 2 hours on snow covered streets with craptraction....my new word, I was frozen like a popsicle and ready to call it a day. But boy, did I ever feel proud to say I survived this long run, (virtual fist pump).
Like, I can't even get a solid smile in.....lol.


All of my nuun mixing for nothing. :( I couldn't get a good swig the entire run. #winterrunningproblems

yep, all 4 frozen.
I did manage to eat a nearly solidified GU though :S
I always take extra, you know, just in case. ;)
Sam and I had planned a cookie & coffee date post workouts today and man was I looking forward to a hot coffee!

One of these days I'm going to sneak this super cute mug into my purse. Think she'll notice??? LOL. JK

The rest of the afternoon was snuggles with Lola and some Boom Chicka Pop. This stuff is great!

How was your Sunday RUNday???
Does it take you forever to warm up post freezing long run?
Are you battling crazy winter runs right now or super warm heat??? Be honest Florida peeps! LOL

Happy Running,
Heather :)

27 comments:

  1. Gosh I hear you! I only got in 16K today and my hose (on my hydro pack) died within 10 minutes. So annoyed - no water! Fortunately another runner had some extra water that she didn't mind sharing. (And it froze later too!) Other than that my run was good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a rock star for doing all that in the cold. When I did my 22 miles in December it was cold and snowy and my honey stinger waffles were frozen. They were like peanut brittle! I really need to learn how to convert celsius degrees to what we use here in the states!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I just checked and -20 celsius = -4 F :)

      Delete
  3. Wow, good for you! That's perseverance!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, good for you! That's perseverance!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are such a badass being out there in all that snow and cold! It always takes me pretty much all day to get warm after cold long runs, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness Cassie, I'm far from badass. But thanks. :)

      Delete
  6. It was in the 60s when I ran this morning :) I am sending warm virtual hugs from the Sunshine state. I hope things warm up soon so that you don't have to spend too long defrosting after your Sunday long runs :)
    My run was a struggle this morning. I only did 6 miles :( but I'm trying not to dwell on it too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll accept any warm virtual hugs that come my way. :D

      Delete
  7. Oh man - at least your -20C was just the windchill. Around here it has been -20C temperature with -30 or colder for windchill :-( It is going to be a high of -5C on Tuesday and I am actually excited for my run at lunch with the run club! It is going to feel so warm! My sidewalks will look like that until March.

    No running for me today - I can't run on weekends for another 2 more weeks until the husband finishes his stupid work stuff that has had him working every weekend since the beginning of January. Unfortunately I draw the winter running line at pushing a 35lb toddler in the chariot ;-)

    Amazing job on the run today!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, I'd curl up in a ball and call it a day if it were -30!!!

      Delete
  8. Dang that is a lot of snow! We still have some on the ground but it is totally gone from roads and sidewalks. I'm sure we will get more before spring, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really wishing it was spring already!

      Delete
  9. OMG! I had nooooooo idea that the iPhone could get that weather warning from the cold. I'm used to seeing it because it has overheated during the summer!

    I think I can hear your teeth chattering through the picture lol! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, the iPhone had enough! lol. I'm pretty sure my teeth are still chattering...lol.

      Delete
  10. I can't even imagine running in that. I struggled through 25 mph wind, but that snow looks horrendous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agh, wind sucks too though. I feel like it's 10 000x the effort on a windy day.

      Delete
  11. you are a freaking CHAMP. I've been getting my ass kicked by winter running and it's nice to see someone destroying it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, thanks Carmy! This Winter is trying real hard to kick my butt, dont' be fooled. ;)

      Delete
  12. Erm, 14 miles still feels like a HUGE distance to me!! Especially in the snow. Great work!

    I love your owl mug!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ali! It is a big distance but I feel bad complaining about it when I see others pounding out 18, 19 and 20 milers like NBD...lol.

      Delete
  13. Every time I whimper about it raining, I'll remember your posts like these. Geez, you are a trooper. I had 12 on Sunday and when it started pouring at mile 6, I just ran back to my car and went home, I didn't try for more. I think I'd only be a sprint/summer runner if I lived where you did. At least you had coffee and cookies to look forward too :) xoxo, ganeeban

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cookies and coffee certainly served as a great motivator when I was out there. ;)

      Delete
  14. Oh my goodness, your Nuun froze, that's bad. It has been really cold here too, and snowy, it does get old.
    Do you not like the yaxtracks?

    ReplyDelete
  15. There's a chance you're eligible to get a Apple iPhone 7.

    ReplyDelete