Tuesday, 13 January 2015

Training Mode & Randomness

Boston training is in full swing! My Sunday long runs are slowly creeping up in mileage and I actually get excited to charge my gadgets, mix my nuun, stash my GUs and lace my shoes. ;) See what I did there? Lol.  I get even more psyched to pencil the digits of my run stats into my training log post run. :) #trainingmode

Sunday's long run was 14 miles. I said goodbye to the crushed gravel trail after our last snowfall. :( {and the violin plays, sniff sniff}. Now it's time to get creative in mapping out my run routes. 

I ran sidewalks up to the Coke Plant and then linked onto the awesomely groomed paved trail!!!! :D I was delighted to see that it was being maintained. 4 miles on the sidewalk + 3 miles on the paved tail and home for a total of 14 long slow miles. I have to tell you about the mega head winds that persisted ALL the way home! It was so strong that it felt like my cheeks were flapping in the wind and at times, it felt as though I were running backwards. :S Good resistance training? 

Salty sidewalks.......the evidence is on the calves. ;) 

I warmed up post-run with a Starbucks date post-run with Sam.


And I found this super cool new cup for work which was a whopping 50% off!!! Matt has claimed my other tall cup for his shakes...(raised eyebrow). 

I'm going to take the day after my long runs off from running completely and focus on core/upper body strength. That being said, Monday was a workout in my living room with none other than 'Demon Dog Lola.' LOL...only because her eyes are glowing to be clear. She is far from a demon and is my furry BFF. <3
"Drop and give me twenty! Twenty treats that is Mommy." ;)
 Here's my workout area:
As a side note: Matt and I call that little foam dog house "Lola's Condo." When she's in there chillin', we say she's in her Condo...lol. 
 Post workout dinner: Quinoa with veggies and roasted chicken breast. :D

Snowy sky on Tuesday afternoon.
Clearly still playing with the new camera. :) Looks like I found a place I can do a photography course after all! 
 I couldn't stop playing this song on repeat for my 5 mile run tonight. It's "Honey," by Magic Man. So awesome.

Five chilly miles at 8:18 pace.


Post run Matt and I enjoyed this awesome BBQ Chicken Recipe that the Hungry Runner Girl recommended...mmm!

Lastly I'll leave you with a photo of my hometown in Newfoundland: 
Yes, this is where I grew up and I totally stole this photo from my Mom's facebook...lol. 
I hope you have a wonderful evening and thanks so much for stopping by GGR. :)

Happy Running,
Heather :)

22 comments:

  1. Oh my...so much to comment on!!! I want to know your workout routine! Do you do the same one or do you mix it up? Second...both of those meals look super yummy. And finally...that is a gorgeous shot of your home town!!! There doesn't look to be much snow though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pretty much stick to the basics with tri's, bi's, shoulders, back and abs. :D Nothing fancy.

      Gaultois is actually covered in snow!

      Delete
  2. I'm getting excited just reading about Boston training lol. I always enjoy seeing those big numbers in the training log, it makes you feel really good one you start going double digit. Town looks awesome with all the snow, great pic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Richard! I get so excited when I get emails or see facebook posts from the BAA!!!

      Delete
  3. Woah, Lola!

    Our cats had a cat condo but they sort of grew out of it. :)

    Yay for Boston training! I won't be there this year so I will have to live vicariously through you. So many great memories of that race though.

    I have to tell you a sad story. You know those Boston posters we got for free at the expos last year with our names on them? Well I never opened mine and kept it in the storage area in our basement where we keep a lot of things we don't use all the time. Well this weekend, Paul told me he accidentally gave it to his brother for Christmas. You see, Paul ordered some posters for his brother and put them down in the storage room. When he wrapped them up, he accidentally took my Boston one instead of a Jimmy Hendrix one that was the same color blue. So his brother wasn't AT Christmas so I didn't see him open the present. I guess he opened it a couple days ago and tested Paul... "did you mean to give me a boston marathon poster?" Oops. so now it is opened and wrinkled because, well, he didn't take super nice care of it in the time it took to get it back to me. I am really really really bummed!!!!!!!! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH no! Oddly enough, when I went to pick up my poster they had them in two separate tubs labelled A-K and L-Z. Because my name is Lee-Callaghan they gave me one from the 'C' bin but it was actually in the other bin I guess because my name is no where on it! :(

      Delete
    2. That sucks! :( I guess we were not meant to have posters.

      Delete
  4. Wow, your hometown looks so beautiful!

    Nice work keeping up the training through 14 windy, snowy miles. I know what you mean about long run prep, I really look forward to it myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love hearing about your runs and Boston training - totally going to live vicariously through you :) I need to get a better space for my workout stuff; treadmill in one room, foam roller in another and weights / dvd workouts in another room. Happy training!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG Lola! Drop and give me 20 treats! Cecil would like to second that idea, but his New Year's Resolution is to cut back on the treats so he can't ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lola should totally have the same Resolution!

      Delete
  7. Your hometown is so cute and pretty, I'm guessing you know everyone there? :)
    Nice solid week of runs and workouts, you're of course going to kill Boston this year. You make me proud, girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Heidi! :)
      Yep, I know every single person from home...lol.

      Delete
  8. Lola is so cute! All those food pics are making me hungry. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your workout area is so cute!! I need to make myself a nice spot like that.

    OMG that picture of Newfoundland. GORGEOUS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ali! My living room has workout gear hidden in many corners...lol.

      Delete
  10. those pics are awesome! especially the one of Newfoundland! very very cool. Glad to see (read) that training is starting off great! I hope it continues :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did you know that you can shorten your long links with Shortest and get money for every visitor to your short links.

    ReplyDelete