Sunday, 17 August 2014

Navy 10k Recap!

Happy Sunday RUNday!

Today is usually my long run day (which I love!) but I switched things up a bit this morning by running in the Navy 10k! My first ten km race in 2 years!!!!

I went into this morning's race not knowing what to expect. My PR is a shocking 44:02/MRW 2012 (shocking to me, and perhaps you, lol). I can't come close to that in any training runs so I knew that was a far cry from what I should expect to run today. The last time I ran the Navy 10k course in 2012 I did 46:21 so today I made my goal 46 humble minutes. I thought this was much more realistic than going in with the "I'm totally smashing some serious PR's today!" and then winding up on the 'Injured List' for the remainder of this marathon training cycle. Yeah, no fun.

Anyway, here we go:

Last night's pre-race meal:
Breaking all of my own rules regarding pre-race fuel we went for nachos. Nachos?! Yes, nachos. :D 

This morning I picked up the girls and we headed downtown to the start area. We totally crept up on some random guys' steps to set up the phone on auto timer....lol.

 He had the BEST gardening around! I regret not taking photos of his plants!

Sam and Melissa both scored mad PR's today!!!!!!!!!!!!

Many runners love the Navy 10k for it's 'flat route.' Well here's my opinion on the matter:
SpongeBob knows what's up!
The course is relatively flat with a nice downhill to cash in on some speed with, but there are also a few annoying inclines that just get your belly burning. It's also a two loop course, which is great since you can see your 5k time as you go into the second loop. 

Ready, Set, Go!

We headed off and I was cautious not to bust out of the gate and get sucked into the adrenaline rush from the 5k runners. Sometimes I do that, oops. 

The weather was completely perfect for today's run (Perfect for August) and this made me happy. 

With a narrow start and hundreds of runners, both from 10 & 5k, the start was somewhat bottle-necked but thinned out quickly.

I was feeling surprisingly good considering all the miles I've been logging and that I'm over halfway through my marathon training. I still felt like I was holding back ever so slightly because I didn't want to run all guts out since this is not my A race right now. I flirted with the early-mid 7 paces for the first bit and slowed slightly when there was the tiniest little 'hill' (word used loosely here). 
 Special thanks to Courteney for snapping this shot! and a few others. :D

Tim Chesnutt attends many races in the area and gets these wicked shots as well! I like to call this one, "Crazy hair, don't care." ;)
 My 5k time was showing 22:14 as I ran by. Of course I wondered if I went out too fast, duhh. ;)

I could begin to feel my legs weakening around 8km and just started my mental countdown. There's a sweet short downhill as you coast to the finish. I have to say, I was a fan. :D 

Another Tim shot:

I could hear Courteney here, but I couldn't see her...lol.

Going in for the kill! ;)
I hit the clock at 45:09 gun time with official time 45:00. I don't know how I got such an exact time, but it's real I promise, lol.

Going to races is super fun for me, especially the finish. You get to see friends finish, if they didn't finish faster than you obviously....lol. And you get to have great running chats with runners who you usually only see at races. I guess I sort of enjoy the post-race food and coffee too, sort of. ;)

Garmin stats and obviously greek yogurt and chia seeds, lol.

The 10k is a distance I have not had a ton of experience with and to be honest, I don't quite know how to train for it. Even though I find the distance to be tough the race is 'over with' quickly. Weird. 

I'm very happy with my run this morning. I like to do a race or two during marathon training to keep me sharp and gauge my fitness. I'd say 'mission accomplished.'

Random side note!
I am very excited about this: 

My orchid that I've had for 2ish years is finally blooming again!!! For the longest time it just sat there with the big green leaves and then recently this long weird thing started growing up through the orchid mix. I feel like a proud plant Mama. :D
Don't worry: when this baby finally opens I'll flood my blog, Instagram and facebook with pics. :D You're welcome! ;)

*** I hope you have entered your brilliant original caption for the Runalicious Giveaway! The winner will be announced tomorrow!!!! 

Thanks for checking in on GGR on this beautiful Sunday RUNday creeping my blog to see how I did in the 10k! ;) Totally joking!!!! LOL. Have a wonderful evening. :)

What are your thoughts on the 10k distance??????????
Did you run the Navy 10k? 
Tell me something totally random!

Happy Running,
Heather :) 

25 comments:

  1. YYYYAAAAYYY Well Done!!

    Yeah - I feel the same way about 10K's not sure if I can effectively race them yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't think I'll ever figure that race out.

      Delete
  2. I think the 10k will be my favorite distance (once I check the 1/2 off my bucket list). I find it challenges me just enough. I love the shots where you are completely airborne! So cool!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know me, fly to the finish, lol. Just kidding! Thanks for the pics!

      Delete
  3. You always have the cutest race pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always look so strong and amazing in your race photos! I love them! Today is usually Sunday Runday for me too, but I raced a half marathon yesterday and my body is just not feeling it today. I feel so lost!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats!! I ran past the finish line on my long run this morning - looked like a fun race!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all of your race pictures! Have you done a post yet on how to take good ones? I would trust your tips because you always have a good mix of happy/fun/hardcore :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha not yet! But I bet I could make it a funny one! lol. Thanks Kristina!

      Delete
  7. Congrats! You look so strong in all of your race pics. I have never raced the 10k distance. In fact, I have only ever run one 5k!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg! I wonder how you'd like the 10k?!

      Delete
  8. wow that's a great 10km time! you look so strong and fast in your pics! I love running 10km races, they are long enough to feel like you running and short enough to not interrupt your whole weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You inspire me all the time! 45 minutes to do 6 miles? You rock Heather! Congrats on another great race!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice race and re-cap! Duh, I had to come back and creep to see how you did! ;) I haven't done a 10K in awhile, anywhere from 8 months to a year! Does a 9K count?! Something really random - did you know what Ritz has a bacon flavored cracker now? Haha, I didn't until about an hour ago!! xoxo, ganeeban

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I've never done a 9k! I don't know how I'd feel about bacon Ritz! Are they good?

      Delete
  11. Congrats on a solid race! I can't wait to see how well you do in your marathon, since you're running so well on tired legs! I almost never do tune-up races because I live in the middle of nowhere so races are always an event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cassie! I'm hoping the marathon will go just perfectly...lol. Yeah as if that ever happens! ;)

      Delete
  12. Fabulous race!! I wish I looked half as killer as you in my running pics!

    ReplyDelete