Saturday, 2 August 2014

Mount Edward Grocery Memorial Run Recap

Within 6 days I have been to 4 provinces and raced in two of them!

Today I raced 5 miles on Prince Edward Island. I have been calling this run "The PEI 5 miler" all summer. Today, yes the day I ran it, I actually learned the correct title. Shame on me. Hashem (my sneaker guy) said he started this race approximately 15 years ago in memory of his brother and when he invited Matt and I to come run it we couldn't turn down the opportunity. Even though I felt like I was running on legs that were 'extra crispy' from training/racing, if you get my drift.

The drive over to the island was beautiful! Lola thought so too. ;)

Matt's all business...lol.

PEI!

We were staying at Hashem's place but before we went to his house we drooled over checked out his gear.

Lola gave the bed an A+.

Race Morning
The start/finish line were literally outside our window.
Unfortunately my phone wanted to focus on the screen. 

One of the volunteers gave a course description, which by the way I never know what they're talking about since I'm not from many of the towns I race in...lol. After that, Hashem started the race and we were off!

I had a goal of 38ish minutes in mind today...if my stale legs cooperated. During the warm up they felt very very heavy!

During the first mile I noticed that race day adrenaline was kicking in and I was in the 6's for most of it. I quickly switched gears knowing full well that this pace was just plain unattainable for me considering my race last Sunday and 4 day DOMS post race. Yeah. So too fast.

Oh and of course, it was HOT and HUMID as per usual. ;)  I am always amazed when someone with a baby stroller blazes by. And did I mention 'impressed?!' The guy who did today finished super fast too!

The first two miles were flat with most of it on a gravel trail. Then at mile 2-3 you experience a gradual incline that is laid out as a turn. Hashem warned us that this would be the tough part. After that it was smooth sailing for the last two miles. I was terrified to coast down the hills with the strains I'd been nursing all week, but I felt great!

Photo credit: Janet Bain :)
A lot of pushing and grunting happened, and I hit the mat at 36:48. Surprisingly a new PB at the 5 mile distance for me. Who knew? :)

Photo credit: Janet Bain :)

It wasn't easy and I looked like this as I crossed....LOL.
Photo credit: Janet Bain :)

 There I go!

Nothing left in the tank!

But boy was I psyched when I discovered that we both PR'd!!!

And even more psyched by the Rocket popsicles at the finish! :D

Some of the runners hanging out and Hashem handing out cookies!

The Callaghans ;)


Matt ran up after his stellar 30:47 run!!! and grabbed Lola and my camera. Look where little miss troublemaker was! What the heck was she doing??? LOL.

The Scene
Some runners were fancy.....

and some people broke the course record! Like this guy....hello 27:XX minutes!!!!

Hashem made sure to feed us before we left. And clearly I protested. :D

Check out some of his running memorabilia he keeps in his store:

What am I saying???? lol
 :)

We may have stopped at Cows for a post race treat. ;)

I am really glad I decided to run this race today. It was a great route, awesome organizers and terrific treats for the runners. Next year give it a go! And don't forget to stop at Hashem's for new kicks!

I hope you know how happy I am when you stop by GGR! Thanks :D

Happy Running,
Heather :)

23 comments:

  1. I LOVE how unimpressed Lola looks with the shoes. Very "these shoes aren't for me. Whatever!" haha adorable! It looks like a great small-ish local race! I love running those - they never cost an arm and a leg to enter! Congrats on the PB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was totally unimpressed! She wanted to get down and roam around but I wasn't sure where she'd go, lol. We love the small races too. There were only 60 runners on Saturday! Thanks for the congrats!

      Delete
  2. You are such an inspiration!!!!! CONGRATS on your new PB!!!!!! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a racing machine! Congrats on a PB. :) The ice cream looks yummers. Nice job to Matt, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, my legs would have to disagree today! ;) Thanks Meg :D

      Delete
  4. CONGRATS to both you and Matt on PBs!!!!! You two sure are speedy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome job to both you and Matt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have such beautiful muscles! Congratulations on both of your PRs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats!! You kicked arse girl :) I can't believe how drenched you are lol all worth it for a PB! I love that the start/finish was right outside your door. Lola is so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We had to get a plastic bag to bring home our soaked racing gear.....ew!

      Delete
  8. Two PRs in under a week -- you're killing this running thing! Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That post race treat looks very yummy! Congrats on both of your PB! I thought you were awesome completing the 5 miler in 36 minutes but then I about fell off my chair when I seen Matt did it in 30!!!!!! You two are super speedy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was yummy! And thanks for the Congrats. :D I read this comment out loud to Matt about the 'falling off a chair,' lol.

      Delete
  10. I love the smaller-ish races, I feel much better supporting them :) Way to kill your race, after such an intense race the weekend before! Lola sitting there is way too cute for words! Oh that dessert looks drool worthy!! xoxo, ganeeban

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I enjoy the smaller races too...they feel a little more relaxed to me. Lola was up to no good there I'm sure, lol.

      Delete
  11. I have a theory about racing on recently PR'd legs. It's that you'll PR AGAIN! My half PR came right after Ragnar...I think the high from a PR or a hard race just carries over! And now you've proved it again!!

    Wonderful recap! Congrats on an amazing race!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can understand having tired legs after racing twice in 6 days, but you still ended up with a PR. Congrats to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not sure if my comment was eaten by the google fairies or not - but I did say:

    Woohoo! Good job!

    That ice cream looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete