Thursday, 17 July 2014

Easy Run & 800s

Well, I did it. I made it through my week of workouts and can take a much deserved Rest day tomorrow! Or in other words, hang out with this lady all day. :)


A few people asked me how long my running skirt is so I took a snap shot just for you guys, or should I say gals. :) I wore it for my easy run on Wednesday. 

For my 5 miler I ran the trail and it was rainy and drizzly again (maybe 4 days straight now)....not complaining since the sun would have made it unbearable. But I did hear rumors that we are supposed to see the sun tomorrow (Friday), fingers crossed.  


On my run I was thinking about the Valley Harvest Marathon and remembering the last time I ran the full marathon there. It was only my second marathon ever on that beast of a course and the temperature spiked to ................


Yep! Isn't that hilarious that it hit 26.2 degrees Celsius on Marathon day? Coincidence, I think not! ;)

That run was so hot I got severe heat cramps in my legs and was very dehydrated. I watched two ambulances zoom by and many runners call it a day at the halfway point. This was on Canadian Thanksgiving Weekend people! We are so not accustomed to those temps during that time of year. With all the drop outs I was able to snag 3rd female though...lol.


It is super hard to find an elevation profile of the Valley Harvest marathon! I finally found one on someone's Training Peaks account, lol. Excuse the poor quality!

I also watched the youtube video of the route as well. Then I was totally psyched to do the run! LOL. Does that happen to you when you do Race Research??? 

I finally settled down and made dinner. I needed some good fuel for Thursday's Yasso Repeat session. :S


And I never do a run without coffee first...come on, that's just craziness.

I was so excited to do today's workout. I had my route all planned, nuun water ready, tunes on and off I went.

My warm up was 2 miles and since they are constructing a sidewalk along the main road...that's of course for ME, lol, I had to take a quick detour into the trail. Where the trail exits to the main road was my plan to get back on the road. Clearly my exit route was still in the construction zone since I ended up in a huge gravel pile...lol. After a few raised eyebrows from 3 construction workers with jack hammers, I was on my way.

5 x 800 m with recovery jogs in between was the plan.
Insta Repost!
I stashed my nuun water in the sign box by the church.  I figured no dogs would pee on it there. ;)

I basically ran back and forth along the same stretch until I clocked off all 5. I totally didn't think my route through: Tim Hortons's donuts and coffee smells aaaaamazing when you're out there sweating up a storm. 

My straightaway wasn't completely flat even though it looks to be. There's a small teeny tiny incline that kicked my butt on the third and fifth repeat.

I ran 2.5 miles to cool down at the end for a daily log of 8 miles. You know, it's not that fun to run home on wet noodle legs. Not fun at all.

Sometimes you just need to sit on wet steps in the rain when you're finished a vomit inducing workout.


Clearly, next time I will aim to get the intervals somewhat close to each other...lol.

Don't forget! You can check out Girl Goes Running on Facebook now :D

That's all for today. Thanks for visiting GGR and have a wonderful day!

Running skirts: Yay or Nay? 
Are you a fan of repeats??? 
What's your next race?! The Tely 10 (miles) is next up on my race radar....it's conveniently in 10 days...lol.

Happy Running,
Heather :)

24 comments:

  1. I'll never understand how people DON'T run without coffee before their runs? Ludicrous, I tell ya ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my lulu skirt but I find it hot on really warm days. I have never done repeats...but you sure did kick butt on yours! Great job. You definitely deserve a rest day!!

    Loved that you had your slippers on in your skirt selfie!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My slippers and I are one. :) My skirt is super duper slight material....like if it's windy, I"m nervous to wear it, lol, so it doesn't get hot. You should try repeats, they're a great workout.

      Delete
  3. I have never tried a running skirt...I don't know if I would like it to be honest!!! Looks like you had a great run despite the rain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I'd race in a skirt, but they are pretty fun sometimes.

      Delete
  4. Please send some of that rain our way! We are in a major drought and need water in a bad way! The skirt is adorable. Just like you. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm sorry to hear that! I would gladly send some rain your way. As it looks today though, the sun is out. We need to dry out!

      And you are so sweet!

      Delete
  5. I do not like running skirts. Not my thing

    Yes - I do like repeats but tend to stop at around 5-6 of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the skirts Rebecca. I thought I'd try it for fun, but I don't see myself running long or racing in it.

      Delete
  6. Absolute YES for running skirts! My next race is a 10 miler too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! I only do one ten mile race a year so I'm hoping the weather cooperates this year. Good luck to you!

      Delete
  7. No skirts for me but you do look cute in it! Repeats are wonderful/horrible!!!! Nice job getting them done. I need someone to motivate me to do more purposeful training with my running....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg! I agree about the wonderful/horrible comment. You seem to be training hard....any races this fall?

      Delete
    2. My training doesn't have a direction...probably because I am not training for anything right now. I feel stuck. My IT band is making my knee feel weak and then I feel like I can't push it. And my ego is like, if I can't PR, what is the point in training for a race? Which is stupid. I don't race a lot. I never have. 1 or 2 a year at the most. But maybe I need to start thinking about it just to have a FOCUS, you know?

      Delete
    3. Ha, I totally get it! My IT band has been acting a little wonky as well these past couple of days. It is super frustrating because it does not allow me to run fast.... and of course I think like you do: if I can't PR, what is the point? Lol

      Delete
  8. That coffee mug!!!! I love it!

    I never even thought to look on youtube for a video of a race route. I am definitely going to scour the internet for a video of the portland marathon course now! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Matt gave me it for Christmas :)

      You should definitely youtube your marathon! I do it all the time. You'd be surprised what videos you can find. :)

      Delete
  9. Great workouts. I'm so waiting for a drizzly day to hit the trails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard! The drizzle sure is better than the sun for sure!

      Delete
  10. Great job on the repeats! I haven't been doing speed work for quite awhile now, I need it. Absolute yes to running skirts, my Lululemon is my fave :) That course is crazy! It makes me nervous thinking about it lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      I find speedwork hard to get back into. You know it's going to hurt, but it feels so good when you're done. :)

      Delete
  11. YAY to running skirts! I'm a new believer! haha

    I did repeats for the first time this week and was sooo bored. I think I need to figure out a better path instead of a loop/track.

    I should do more race research...it sounds like it's very motivating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have the cutest running skirt I've seen!

      I can't believe you were bored doing repeats!!! I get so exhausted and have to focus hard on not puking!

      Definitely research your races! I always do it and you'd never believe the stuff you can find on the web. ;)

      Delete