Wednesday, 2 April 2014

Maintenance versus Mileage

Please tell me what you have been up to for the past few days!!! I've missed you guys :)

Good news: Reports go home tomorrow! So I can tick that off my list of things to be stressed about, lol.

Reporting has not interfered one bit with my running this week. Here's why:

After my 15 mile long run on Saturday, I called up my sneaker guy/part-time coach ;) to order new runners and to run chat. Long story short, we decided that I'd head into an early taper. My body was seriously telling me it was ready to scale down the mileage, like NOW. And I needed to listen.


We came up with a plan so that I would still run my last long run this Sunday but my weekday mileage is decreased. I'm happy with what we came up with. I'm also happy because today (Wednesday) I received these cool kicks in the mail:

Hashem said, "Only the best for Boston!" And I love how the blue/orange accents are this year's Boston colours. :D 

On Monday I received some other awesome mail as well:

I'm pretty sure I'm buying every single thing for women in the Adidas catalogue. ;)
In case you didn't hear, Sunday (the day when I was supposed to run long, but scheduled it to Saturday due to crappy weather forecast) was a really nasty weather day. We had an ice storm that lasted the entire day. Oh yeah, and it was super windy along with it to the point that my power flickered. This was alarming enough for me to run around and make sure to charge all my tech gadgets, just in case. ;)  

Since I had time to spare, I made myself a hearty breakfast and settled in to catch up on Coronation Street. :D


Later, Lola and I played with her toys until things got out of hand.....lol.

How did Hermie get up there Lola????
Just because I'm heading into my Taper doesn't mean I can't work out, although it is recommended that you ease off on the lifting a bit. I pumped some iron and worked my abs until they were rock hard....sort of. I also foam rolled daily over the past three days and as I type these very words I realize that I didn't roll today! :0

There has also been some beet root juice drinking going on. And for your pleasure: 
This was too cute/corny not to share! LOL
I have also committed to frequent Physio visits and massage from here on in until Boston. My PT definitely now believes with all his heart that I am craaaazy. Yep. He told me himself.

I tried to rationalize my 97 questions and fast talking by explaining that I hadn't run in 3 days and I was really really worried that the tension in my tendons would turn into something BIGGER and scarier. :0 After assuring me that I'd 'be fine,' he actually tried to convince me that if I wanted to, I could rest from now until Boston (We're not even going to accept that as logical thinking) and I'd STILL run the marathon with a performance I'd be pleased with. LOL LOL LOL LOL. I can't even imagine all the crazy taper thoughts I'd get going in my head if I did that! 

Don't worry. I am listening to my body. And my PT. And my masseuse. And Hashem. :)

I finally ran!
Getting new running shoes makes me so much more excited to get my butt out the door for a run. I couldn't wait to try out my new Kayano 20s!

Lola is perplexed as to why someone has four pairs of running shoes in the main entrance. All at once.

Because I hadn't run since SATURDAY and today is WEDNESDAY(!!!), I decided I wouldn't go crazy with pace tonight on my run, I would go by feel instead. It really felt so good to be out and running again. The pace felt like it was an easy effort which tells me the rest was a great thing. 10 miles sure went by quickly. :)
I'm now totally exhausted from the run and am going to hit the sack!  Thanks so much for stopping by GGR. Have a wonderful day!

Happy Running,
Heather :)
19 Days until Boston!!!

23 comments:

  1. I have got to sneak a peak at the Adidas book! LOL And the picture of Lola's toy made me giggle out loud. I can't believe it's taper time already...CRAZY!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL......Lola's toys end up in the strangest places!

      Delete
  2. Great run! You must have been going crazy not running ? I find when I go a few days I get moody I need the indorphines :) I love the new sneakers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lola is too cute!!! I'm getting so excited for you! I saw the adidas stuff earlier this year and thought it was super cute! I really like the orange color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting so excited to! I'm just trying very hard to stay healthy!!! And Lola knows she's cute, lol. She uses it to get her way ;)

      Delete
  4. I so understand your worry about getting injured and little things turning into big things! I'm just ready for this small pain on the side of my foot to erupt into something bigger!! BOSTON IS MAKING US CRAZY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy your taper and don't go "crazy" with your thoughts! You are going to rock Boston girl!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like the early taper was a smart idea! Lola is so cute, my pup gets her toys stuck in the weirdest places too because she plays so furiously!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how good I feel after taking a few days off. I'm just hoping these niggles disappear completely before race day.

      Lola is always up to something with her toys. Because she's so small, she often needs assistance to get them after she's thrown them into strange places. lol.

      Delete
  7. You are seriously so amazing about listening to your body. I need to take a few hints from you. My body is tired. I can't wake up in the morning!

    I love the new shoes and congratulations on reports being done!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel! And congrats on Subbing!!!

      If I don't listen to my body, it gets really really cranky. :S

      Delete
  8. Woohoo! You are going to do so well in Boston. The hay is in the barn. Rest up and before you know it, race day will be here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like that: "The Hay is in the Barn." It sounds like we're up to something, lol.

      Delete
  9. You are going to rock Boston (and your taper haha!)!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I really hope you are right!

      Delete
  10. lmao when doctors tell us we can rest for WEEKS and still run our race, I wonder if they're just that stupid, or if they think we're just that gullible. What runner is going to do that?! That said, I'm glad you've figured out a good taper.

    I haven't run this week. My body was trashed after this weekend of travel, and I've just been too tired. I've done T25, but I need to get my shoes on this weekend and run!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes some good R and R is very much needed. I just don't think I could last 20 something days without running before Boston! Seriously?! I have never done a T25 workout.......what are they like?

      Delete
  11. You're smart to listen to your body and the professionals...even if it's driving you crazy. But you'll get to Boston rested, healthy, and ready to rock it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've always believed in training smart not training hard. Listening to what your body needs (training smart) will always be more beneficial than keeping the mileage up (training hard). Good luck with your tapering and your race!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck! I am running boston too, for the first time and have been obsessing about a taper sched too! I am finally not injured and don't want to mess anything up, these final couple of weeks are killer for the mental side of it. It's so hard to have faith in the training but I'm learning. Sounds like you are doing really well!

    ReplyDelete