Tuesday, 15 April 2014

Ahhh, that feels better & Boston Prep!

Guess what: I can finally breathe through my nose again!!! After taking my magical nasal spray last night, I actually got a really good night's sleep. :) 
{Source}
I tried to explain to my students today (who are 5-7 years old) that I will be running in the BOSTON MARATHON  on Monday!!! After a few blank stares and glazed eyes one little girl said super calmly, "Will you win Ms. Callaghan?"  (sigh), LOL.

Getting Ready for Boston!
Typing that line just made me smile...like real big. :D 

So when I was sick yesterday, I found myself feeling quite unproductive. :S I decided that if I just put a couple of things into a suitcase I'd feel better.   

 It worked!

In the above photo, you can see my new handy dandy iPhone carrier belt. I don't actually think that's the fancy name for it, but that's what I named it. I know what you're thinking: "There's no way an iPhone can fit into that little pocket!" Yep. That's what I thought too. But it flexes out to fit it just snug. After last year's race, I decided that next year I'd definitely run with my phone. Not just for safety reasons either: think of all the cool shots I can take in the Athlete's Village and in the finishing chute!!!

Don't forget that you can track me on Marathon Monday using the BAA's Athlete Tracker. I'm in Wave 2 with a start time of 10:25 a.m. Boston time, 11:25 Nova Scotia time and 11:55 Newfoundland time. Here's my bib number. #17520!!!! Just go to The Boston Marathon Site and plug in my digits and then hit track runner. I think a little green + sign pops up or something. You can also sign up for the AT & T auto text messaging service if  you're a die hard GGR fan. ;)  This will allow you to receive text alerts after I cross each distance marker along the course. Oh yeah, that's pretty darn cool!


You know you have awesome friends when they lend you their socks (just in case) AND they feed  you when you go to pick them up! Thanks Heidi! FYI: this fancy bread was A-mazing!!!!

Yep....these pants are my throw-a-ways to keep me warm in the Athlete's Village before start time. I painted my nails purple last year for a race and then forgot the cap was off. Oops!

I know my sneaks are pretty new, but I had to keep up the tradition:
 My Runner Passport!
 Some fuel for the run:
 And of course:

I'm sure no matter where you were today you were reminded that it was the one year anniversary of the Boston Marathon Bombings. I experienced so many feelings on Monday, April 15, 2013 that I never thought I'd have in my life. I am so grateful to be returning to Boston to run the race they way it was meant to be run.

There are several things I'm looking forward to this year. I'm super duper excited to finally get to meet Hal Higdon in person! Myself along with the 74 other runners featured in the Boston Bombings Book 4:09:43 by Hal Higdon are invited to a dinner gathering with him on the Saturday evening before the race. Psyched!!!

Kara Goucher said she will be at the expo so I'm totally hoping to have an opportunity to meet her all crazed-fan-like.

Matt's running the Boston 5k on Saturday as a tune up for his upcoming Marathon this May! Wish him luck!!!

Okay, I'm off to bed now. Thanks so much for popping by for a visit this evening! I'm really hoping to get another post in before I leave on Friday.  Hoping!

Happy Running,
Heather :) 
Boston is in 6 days!!!

33 comments:

  1. This all made me smile! I did not know you were featured in a book! That is awesome you get to meet Hal. :) I am going to the Expo on Sunday so not sure if I will see anyone. I love Kara, I think she is so cool. Love the purple nail polish pants!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, yes you should check it out! I was sent a copy of it in draft format that was autographed---that was pretty cool! You'll probably see many cool people on Sunday....that's when I saw Ryan hall last year!

      Delete
    2. Oh hey did you see that we can bring a yoga mat or a towel to Athletes' Village? There was an info graphic to click on in an email I got today. I am happy because I was worried about where to sit and stuff...

      Delete
    3. Oh that's great news last year I sat on freezing cold wet grass-fun times ;)

      Delete
  2. I'll bet you feel AMAZING and sooo stoked right now!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This are feeling pretty REAL right now :) and I'm super stoked!

      Delete
  3. Glad you are feeling better! I think it's funny what kids say about races! When I ran my race at WDW the kids asked if I won. I don't think they realize their is a gazillion other people running and that it's not like P.E class! I Love what you did with your shoes! I will be stealing that idea! We'll be tracking you for sure! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally steal the idea....I stole it from an IG friend last year ;) thanks for the good luck wishes!!!!

      Delete
  4. YAY FUN!!!!

    My friend is running Boston for the 4th time on Monday. She ran last year too - I'm glad she is going again this year! We tracked her at work and made announcements through out the day (we are teachers too). We even had a board in the gym with her splits. Even though the later afternoon was not the greatest (I was the first to find out about the bombings and yeah..not a great afternoon) - but I am still looking forward to Boston Marathon Monday where I cheer on everyone running and have the live stream up for everyone to watch. GOOD LUCK!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Rebecca! That is do exciting when you know your coworkers are cheering you on from afar! :)

      Delete
  5. You're in Hal Higdon's book?!?! So cool! I'm excited to hear all about Boston (and maybe live vicariously through you a little since I'm not running it this year).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It was a super exciting experience to be a part of :)

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad you're feeling better! I can't wait to read all about it and live vicariously through you. I also can't wait to hear about your gathering with Hal Higdon! I need to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this post. I can tell the excitement is really building! Can't wait to "follow you"! Does the text message service cost anything?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erin! I'm pretty sure you can download the app for free and track for free via the baa.org site. I do believe that the text alerts do cost something though

      Delete
  8. Love this! I'm totally going to stalk you race morning ;) You'll have to post tons of insta photos from the expo, k? :-D

    ReplyDelete
  9. glad you liked the croissant, they are so so good! I'm so excited for you to run Boston and please, please please try to meet Kara and tell her I say Hi (hahaha) We'll be cheering you on from Timberlea:) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That croissant was very awesome!!! I need to buy one as soon as I get back. I will definitely say hi to your BFF kara for you ;)

      Delete
  10. Sounds like you're going to have a great time in Boston! I have a Spibelt, too, and I can fit so much inside that little pouch - my phone, gels, etc. It's great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tina! Yes isn't that pouch great?!?! :)

      Delete
  11. All the best in Boston, Heather! (I haven't had time lately to read blogs but I wanted to stop by to wish you well!) I know it's going to be emotional for everyone! Run strong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Crystal! I can't even tell you how far behind in blog reading I have fallen LOL. once this marathon is done I will surely catch up ;)

      Delete
  12. OK, I'm going to buy Hal Higdon's book, if not just for the fact that you're in it! So cool! He was a smartie including you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay that's great! You are so sweet and kind :)

      Delete
  13. This was a fun post!! It is ALMOST HERE! So exciting! You are going to win it!!!!! :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your confidence Heather...I sure am nervous! :)

      Delete
  14. It's been so inspiring to read about your training these past few months. I'll be thinking of you on Monday!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. There is a chance you are qualified for a complimentary Apple iPhone 7.

    ReplyDelete