Thursday, 20 March 2014

Spring, Spring, A Glorious Thing!

It's here! It's finally here! I certainly hope Mother Nature got the e-mail about the change of seasons. ;)

As I was running around Cow Bay last Sunday for the Moose Run I couldn't help but notice that the ground and the shoulder of the road were actually visible now with the snow nearly being gone. :D This makes me super happy!


Monday
Post Moose Run I had some soreness and tightness brought on by none other than the monstrous hills along the route. I therefore decided to take a lower body REST day with NO RUNNING.  I did however pump some iron to work my arms, chest and back. ;)  The blue tights guy from 8 minute abs and I hung out for a while too. :)

Dinner: Pizza, broccoli and chicken. I'm pretty plain Jane with the pizza. I use a multigrain crust, tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese. I think I could eat 10 slices.

Tuesday
I had my post-race massage today. My masseuse worked on my calves like there was no tomorrow.  When I got home I headed out for 5 easy pace miles. Speed and hills are taking a back seat this week as I allow my body to recover properly. 


Wednesday
I had my Physio appointment today. My PT treated my lower calf tightness since I'm not taking any chances at this point with the Boston Marathon a month away!!! The free lattes are still an indulgence of mine when I go there. :) 

 My PT taught me how to tape my lower legs to apply some positive pressure for support while I run. This is proving to be very helpful!

On my way home, I stopped into the Country Market to get bananas. I was completely minding my own business when all of a sudden the cashier offered me a complimentary slice of pizza they were sampling! I was baffled, and of course oh so grateful. :D







So when I came home I had to play "Where's Lola? hehe. I'm not 100% sure who she thinks will try to take her toys while I'm gone, but she sure keeps them safe. <3

With proper pizza fuel, I was able to enjoy a fabulous run of 8 miles. It felt great but I still didn't want to push it since my legs are probably not completely recovered from the race. It's totally awesome to get some daylight now on my evening runs, even if I do finish in the dark. :)

Post-run I made a smoothie that was so thick, I ate it with a spoon! Who does that?!?! LOL.
Thursday
We had training today for work and one thing I love about going to my Professional Development sessions are the little treats our Facilitator puts out for us. :) 




Today we went to a nice restaurant for lunch where I had a calzone and salad...mmm! I realize it looks pretty dull, but the inside was  a total flavour explosion!!!

On the way home I had to pick up a few more things at the grocery store. Random note: We go through so many bananas that it's quite ridiculous.

Welcome Spring! And welcome showers. :S I obviously prefer rain to snow, but sideways rain? Really????!!!
I ran 8 miles tonight. In the rain. And the crazy wind. It was tough.

For my entire run out the wind was in my face and it felt like I was running backwards at points. Not to mention my clothes were completely soaking wet. I kept telling myself that if I can get this run done, Boston will be cake.....sort of. I prayed hard for a tail wind on the way home. Funny how I didn't notice the tail wind though. How does that always happen?
Tomorrow is my rest day. I am at the stage of my training cycle now where I look forward to the rest day.  I'm glad I've grown as a Runner in that respect. In the past I've stubbornly ran on Rest days thinking more is better and not allowing proper recovery for my weekend long runs. No more junk miles. I promise!

I hope you are having a stellar week so far! I'm in the middle of Report card writing, whomp whomp. But it's okay: I'll get it done! My big twenty miler on Sunday will help me run off any excess stress I've accumulated this week. ;)

Thanks a bunch for paying me a visit!

Happy Running,
Heather :)
Boston is in 31 days!!!

23 comments:

  1. Good for you for hitting the streets in the wind and rain, I definitely would have jumped on the treadmill! Good luck report card writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I owned a TM I definitely would have hit it up!

      Delete
  2. I'm a treadmill girl in the rain so you are tougher than me! I love my rest days but I definitely feel like I'm in the minority on that. Good luck with your grading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emmeline! I'm not that tough....I just don't own a TM ;)

      Delete
  3. Good luck on your 20 miler! You will rock it! :) I hate running in the rain if it is cold or windy. I'll do it, but I definitely don't like it! I guess anything is better than the treadmill, right? LOLA LOOKS LIKE A PRINCESS!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg! It's certainly better than the TM! Lola IS a princess...lol

      Delete
  4. You are just too impressive! It was very stormy last night with that wind, rain as well as cold and you pulled out 12.8km, wow, great job girl! Yet another example of why you are headed to Boston, that is the difference between those that talk a good game and the few that actually get it done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! You are so sweet :) Sometimes I'd probably stay home and run on the TM if I had one. So my lack of a TM makes me look bad ass. I'll take it...lol. ;)

      Delete
  5. Ugh, you are so lucky to be rid of the snow ... we are still surrounded by it here in Fredericton. I will console myself with that fact that you get much more rain in the spring :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I spoke too soon: it snowed here today and I hear that Wednesday we're getting a BIG one! :S

      Delete
  6. The boston countdown is in full force now!! Wow....before you know it your long runs will be done!!! What PT and masseuse do you go to? This week has sucked for me training wise as I didn't run to rest the IT band..which also meant my mind didn't want to do anything else. Boo to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Less than 30 days!!! My PT is the guy I've went to since 09. He's cool! Boo to your cranky IT band :(

      Delete
  7. You are always so impressive! I absolutely would have gone on the treadmill. I don't do weather very well. California girl problems. :-D Also, the only way to eat smoothies is with a spoon. When I had smoothies every morning, I would put them in the freezer while I got ready so it was more like ice cream. I need to make a smoothie again soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm blushing Rachel.... :)

      Haha, I don't know why it came out so thick this time. LOL. Clearly I wasn't paying attentino!

      Delete
  8. I'm interested to learn about taping legs!

    I'm so jealous of your still-cold weather. It's so hot here already, my runs have sucked on break.

    I loooove spring! Best weather ever, and Easter candy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm soooo jealous of your too hot weather! It's all relative I guess, lol. For taping I use two pieces of sports tape and wrap from the back around to the front just slightly tighter than compression socks. I do it right above the achilles on the lower calf. It really helps.

      I'm buying a stash of Easter candy and hiding them until after the marathon!

      Delete
  9. Your posts always make me a) hungry and b) want to dog nap Lola! Ha ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same when I read other blogs with food on them! lol.

      Delete
  10. Augggh that is such a cute pic of Lola! I don't mind running in the rain, as long as it's not cold rain, but it sounds like it's still pretty chilly up there! I don't know how you do it! I would be tm'ing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh nights like that I wish I had a TM trust me!

      Delete
  11. You rock it girlfriend. I love that you are taking it easy! Injuries are no joke and you have BIG plans :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather! Got to listen to that body. :D

      Delete
  12. I'm totally with you on learning to value the rest days. Looks like a solid week of training. Good luck on that 20 (if you didn't already do it).

    ReplyDelete