Sunday, 9 March 2014

Slow and Hilly Long Run & Guest Post!

Happy Sunday Runday!

After I posted yesterday I DID foam roll, stretch, do a plank, 8 min abs AND some arm exercises with the weights! I don't know what's going on-I'm just as shocked as you are that I did all those things. LOL.

I had to text Matt my plank time. I'm pretty sure this is my longest plank to date. I know for all you 5 minute plankers this is not a big deal, but I was pretty stoked about this one. Next up: 4 minutes. Maybe. ;)

The Screen shot of my stop watch is so boring. I just had to dress it up for you. :)
 
My dinner was sort of colourful last night, lol. I knew I'd need to fuel up for my big 18 miler the next morning so I was sure to include the staples: Chicken, broccoli, bell peppers, beets and pesto pasta. 

Today you need to head over to 26.2 x 2 and check out my Guest Runner Profile on Lis' blog! Super exciting :) Thanks so much Lis! http://262x2.wordpress.com/
 
This morning I made sure I had my gels (Salted Caramel, YAY!), oatmeal with berries, coffee, water, nuun water for the road and my purple pros for the run. Prepping for a long run takes time! Putting on Compression Socks takes me a solid hour! JK. I actually mixed my nuun water last night to save time. :)
 
 
18 miles. 18 Miles. 18 MILES! The sudden realization that I hadn't ran that distance since October dawned on me as I headed out the door. {Gulp}
 
It was another completely awesome day for running. There was blue sky AND great temperatures!
 
I knew today had to be a slow and steady long run and not 'Stupid fast.' You know, where you feel the urge to beat your last time at particular distance intervals and pushing hard on tired legs. That's what I mean by Stupid fast. I do that sometimes. hehe. But today I refused to let myself fall into that trap, especially after last Sunday's 1/2 Marathon and Yesterday's Tempo run AND before next Sundays 25k Moose Run!!! So I was careful not to push the pace today. That was super easy to do with all the hills I incorporated. :S
 
I ran out into a nearby town and did a huge loop out there. It was H-I-L-L-Y! By the time I got back near my home turf, I had already run 11 miles. At 10.5 miles I took my Salted Caramel gel and it was totally awesome. :D Then at about 14 miles I had a couple of pink lemonade honey stinger chews. They are so dang good. Fatigue started to set in at around 16 miles. But, at 15.5 miles (25k) I checked my Garmin and I was bang on 2 hrs 10 min. That gives me an idea at next Sunday's expected finishing time.
 
By the time I reached my house, I had run 18.3 miles (29.28km). In two weeks I have a 20 miler---Aaaaah! :0 


 
My calf muscles were twitching a bit when I was done. No worries: Neon dots to the rescue! Plus a much longed for coffee. :)
 

 And I munched on some almonds too. :)

 
Funny thing is that when I run long, my appetite completely diminishes for a few hours. But when it kicks in---Run! I will eat anything in sight....lol.
 
Here is a breakdown of my week 6 in training: 

Week 6/12 of Boston Bound is done! And boy are we tired! ;)


Thanks for stopping by GGR. Have a wonderful day!
 
How was your run today?
Do you ever run Stupid fast? Be honest!
Do you ever lose your appetite post-long run?
What's your post-long run recovery routine?
 
Happy Running,
Heather :)
 
The Moose Run 25k is next Sunday!!!

40 comments:

  1. You are 1/2 way done your training plan....how did that happen??? Great job on the long run today....and boy...I love those dots compressions!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, how DID that happen?!?!?

      Arent' the dots snazzy? ;)

      Delete
  2. YOU ARE AWESOME!
    Before I forget, GOOD LUCK next week! I can not wait to hear all about it!
    When I was training for my second half last year, I was always comparing myself to my first training. I was trying so hard to beat every distance. It was making my life miserable. I know with my full I am just going to run the long distances to run them. I don't care what the time is as long as I am happy :)
    18 miles is awesome! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather! Definitely go for distance in the full training. Comparing yourself to your old self, or faster self can be a dangerous trap. Trust me, I know! LOL

      Delete
  3. Awesome run girl! Hills are killer - you rock! I definitely noticed today too that when I was finished my run I wasn't hungry for about 2 hour and then I WAS STARVING! Haha :) Have a lovely rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kris! My appetite came in late last night, lol.

      Delete
  4. Haha, it takes me forever just to get ready for a short run! A half hour between getting my water bottle ready, getting dressed, getting my phone and Garmin all set, and stretching.
    And it was great having you as a guest post! Hopefully you will inspire even more people than you already do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Run prep does take forever! lol.

      Thanks again for the kind words and guest post :)

      Delete
  5. You are going to be SO ready for Boston! So is little Lola. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Lola is hoping to start with the elites this year. ;) LOL. Thanks Meg!

      Delete
  6. Ha ha I love your dog pictures. Good work on that long run. I think it's finally warming up across the country! You're going to rock Boston!! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Crystal....Lola loves getting her picture taken. It's usually followed by a treat, lol.

      Delete
  7. 18 freaking miles! you rock! I knew today was your lonnnggg run so when I was out on my run this morning I kept the eyes out thinking I would probably see you at some point lapping the neighborhood. I am never hungry right after a long run like a 1/2. but I eat anyways because I feel as if I earned it haha . you reminded me I NEED salted caramel GU, its my fav :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, thanks Sam! I think because I ran most of it in Hubley is why we didn't run into each other. Definitely get the GU. Bruce said it goes quickly!!!

      Delete
  8. great job Heather!! you'll be more than ready....looking forward to a run with you this week!! What's on your schedule for Thursday?? Be prepared for a hilly route...there's no escaping it here in Paradise :)
    With regards to eating...I'm the same way after a long run. The next day I can eat everything in sight...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Janice! I'm so excited to run in Paradise. :D I have anywhere from 8-9 miles planned. Bring on the hills. ;)

      Delete
  9. My goodness! You are so amazing! I can't even fathom 18 miles. And you did it "slowly." I am totally the same with eating. Nothing sounds appetizing after a long time until around 2 hours after. Then I will run over anything in sight to get to food. Good luck next weekend on your race! You're going to rock it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel! I honestly think you could easily rock a full....interested??? ;)

      Delete
  10. Congrats on the tough 18! I won't be running that far again until June...getting back into marathon shape is going to be brutal. Good luck next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cassie! Now if only I had your speed!!! ;)

      Delete
  11. I am so freaking hungry after a run. But back when I played soccer, I wasn't hungry for 6ish hours after a game, so weird. I definitely am known to run my training runs too fast, I have to calculate the proper pace beforehand and make myself stick to it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Making myself stick to it is the hard part for sure. I just kept telling myself that I get other opportunities throughout the week to run fast and that made me feel better. :)

      Delete
  12. Congrats on an amazing 18 miler, your pace was awesome!! I had a step back week but this week I start hitting the mileage hard again, ending with a 19 miler on Sunday. I am NEVER hungry after a long run, I always have to force myself to drink something right after my run to replenish my body.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Good luck on your 19!!! That's huge :) My husband has 19 this Sunday as well.

      Delete
  13. Wow, great job on your 18 miler! I love the salted caramel GU...so yummy!
    This past weekend my post-long run routine included a hot chocolate, purple pro compression socks, an easy 30 min recovery spin and a little foam rolling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leana! Salted Carmel is their best seller the Running Room guy said :0 hot chocolate is so awesome post long-run. I love the Purple Compressions! They are my favourite pair.

      Delete
  14. Great job on your long run!! Very awesome, and love those cute neon dot socks! I am also rarely if ever hungry after a long run or marathon. But after a few hours, the appetite always comes back:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! My appetite tends to come back with a vengeance...lol

      Delete
  15. That's an impressive plank...and an impressive run!! I guess you weren't going to mediocre this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ali! My planks never feel awesome since I see so many 4-5 minute ones on IG...lol. But I was pretty happy with it.

      Delete
  16. Nice job on the run! My stomach usually feels a little off after a long run, but then I get HUNGRY! Or hangry as my husband lovingly refers to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yup, last summer I was always trying to beat my previous times each time I ran my 10K route!

    I don't do gels and GU but I think I want to try that salted caramel, I hear it's delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so easy to fall into that trap! lol. I'm totally guilty. :S

      You definitely should try salted caramel. I'm pretty sure I could eat it even when I'm not running!!!

      Delete
  18. Yup, last summer I was always trying to beat my previous times each time I ran my 10K route!

    I don't do gels and GU but I think I want to try that salted caramel, I hear it's delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice run! Looks like you had a solid training week and are officially half way there, woohoo! That salted caramel GU looks ah-mazing! I completely relate to the lack of appetite right after a long run but when it kicks in I'm usually a hangery bear! I've started forcing myself into eating a good meal immediately after my LSD! Love the neon dots Pro Compression socks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lindsay! It's been a busy training week for sure. I'm looking forward to a scale back this week. Try the salted caramel---it will change your life. ;)

      Delete
  20. very nice week and great pace...the canuck bloggers are rocking their training plans!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Right on - you're inspiring! Any advice to a new runner on a good brand of compression socks?

    ReplyDelete
  22. That salted caramel GU sounds very good... I haven't seen them here yet. After my longer runs I am never hungry and always have to force something in me for recovery. My go to is always chocolate milk and more recently soy or almond chocolate milk. :) Oh yeah, I love my compression socks too! As for pushing myself too fast sometimes? I used to, not as much anymore because I am so scared to get injured. I think my new take on training has helped me with this. Great job on your run!

    ReplyDelete