Sunday, 23 March 2014

My Longest Run Since October!

I hope it's been a RUNderful weekend for you!

Here's a peek at what I've been up to:

Friday
Friday started bright and early with some Physio. My calf muscles feel tight these days so I'm taking all precautions necessary not to get on the "I" list. The "I" word is the word we shall not speak! ;)   

Don't you love my PT's setup for icing? LOL
 Friday involved a lot of sitting! It's definitely Reporting Season. :S Whomp whomp.

I finally got to try out Habeneros for lunch. :D These were by far the best tacos I've ever had. Ever.
 Oh, and today was my usual zero running day: REST day!

Saturday
Thank you Weather Gods!!!!

My Saturday run was glorious! I did ten easy miles and I wanted to keep running all day long! Obviously I chose not to with a planned 20 miler the next day. ;) I'm just sayin' it was pretty darn amazing out!
It was so lovely out, Miss Lola decided to bask in the sun. <3

Reason #876 543 why I enjoy Running Long: Carbo Loading!!!

Sunday
Fuel and Hydration for today's long run: 2 Gu gels (Salted Caramel & Chocolate), 3 nuun water and 1 G2 Gatorade.  

A look at the streets/sidewalks for my morning run. Yep we received a little dusting snow last night. :S  Nothing too crazy, but enough to make for some slippery sections in the early parts of my run.

I have to be honest: I was quite intimidated by the distance planned for me this morning. I hadn't run 20 miles since October!!! I kept the pace reasonable in fear of flying and then dying in the last few miles. I wore my dotted Pro Compressions on the run today too for extra support and I taped my calves.

It was totally gorgeous out again today. I passed by Sam twice and I saw two other runners as well.

For fuel, I took my Salted Caramel at 10 miles and then I had my Chocolate Gu at 14.5.

The last 5 miles were definitely a test of mental strength for me. My Ipod died!!!! :(  I had to run the last quarter of my run without music and I was not happy about that. I could hear my breathing and then the pitter patter of my feet on the sidewalk. You know, hearing my feet was kind of nice after a short while. :)

The temperature had warmed up so much the snow on the sidewalks had all melted by the time I got home: Hence the mud splatter.
I'm not even sure what to say about this sweat pattern???

Running 20 miles is a humbling experience. A distinct burn appears in my legs during the final mile and all I can think about is what I'm going to drink when I get home. But when I finish the big 2-0- it's glorious!

Week 8/12 of Boston Bound is complete!
Giveaway Reminder
Remember to add your comments to my Giveaway Post for a chance to win a Half Marathon Girl tee from Runalicious! The deadline is Friday evening, March 28. A few of you have mentioned that you are unable to comment. Here's what you do if you do not have an account with the profiles offered:

1. Write your comment in the box (don't forget to include your name within the text of the comment)
2. Choose who you want to comment as
3. Pick Anonymous if you don't have an account
4. Hit Publish :)
Well, I'm off to Heat/Ice my legs now, and to eat everything in the kitchen too! ;) 

How was your weekend of Running?
Favourite on-the-run fuel? 

Happy Running,
Heather :)
Boston is in 28 days!!!

35 comments:

  1. Saturday was a great day for a run...I got out for a early afternoon run in the valley and it couldn't have been any better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Valley! We go there every now and again for lunch at Paddy's Pub. I love going to the Valley Harvest Run every October as well. :)

      Delete
  2. You looked strong out there and I was envious of all the runners I saw out there today!!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      Envious after your run?? I think you saw me right before my music died.....lol

      Delete
  3. Yay for 20 beautiful miles! I'm glad your weather is finally starting to change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel! It sure was awesome weather :)

      Delete
  4. Great job today! and thanks for the high five! I saw you a third time, you zoomed by on the main road when I was running in green wood and I saw u through the streets lol. I wouldn't be training right now for a full if it wasn't for your push! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam, your comment made me blush :) You are doing awesome with your training! I saw you a third time as well! I was on the bridge going home and you were by Fitzgeralds going up Greenwood, lol.

      Delete
  5. Girl...Those tacos are KILLING ME. I want some soooo badly now!!!!

    Great job on the long run!!

    My calves have been really killing me lately too. Stupid cross-training is to blame! I iced, compressed, and rested...seems to have helped!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Words cannot even describe how yummy they were. I'm already trying to think of a day/excuse to go there again. :)

      Thanks Ali! My calves are proving to be the thorn in my side for this training cycle. I'm thinking it's the hills I've been hitting. :S

      Delete
  6. You rock! 20 miles really scares me but it also really intrigues me! I have route already planned out so I am pretty excited about that! I will probably eat everything in site after that run!
    The sunshine is always a big plus :)
    My run today was really interesting....it will be in my weekly recap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 20 miles is a daunting distance, but also like an adventure. I always get nervously excited for a 20. :) I can't wait to read about your run!

      Delete
  7. My favorite running shirt says If found on ground please drag across finish line. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice job on the long runs this weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. SOOO I just have to ask...how exactly do you define glorious weather? Since you once said 4 degrees was nice, lol...and I love your tutorial on how to comment. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL it was about 1 degree Celsius and sun! A great day for us Nova Scotians! I had to do the tutorial! I was getting facebook comments about how people couldnt' comment :( And I didn't want to leave anyone out. :)

      Delete
  10. You are awesome! Great run :) I'm coming to visit so we can eat those tacos, k? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emmeline! We'll totally hit up Habeneros when you visit. ;)

      Delete
  11. Congrats on a strong 20, Heather! I can't believe your Ipod died. You are right- what MENTAL strength that took. I am sure it sucked but now if it ever happens again, you know you can persevere. What do the rest of your long runs look like for the last part of your Boston training?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg! I can't believe I ran 5 miles without music, lol.

      Here's my long run schedule up until the day before Boston:
      2:00, 3/1 (March 30)
      20 miles easy (April 6)
      12 miles easy (April 13)
      2 miles easy (Sunday April 20)

      :)

      Delete
    2. Wow you are no joke, Heather. You are going to TEAR up the Boston course!:)

      Delete
  12. Great job girl! I always had to have my I-pod to run but after having done 13.1 without it I am slowly becoming less dependent on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm surprised I could run that far without it! lol

      Delete
  13. Isn't Habaneros the best?! I always get the bowl with chicken. Mmmm did you know that they have a mobile bus in Bayers Lake now, down from Kent?! Yup, it's true!
    Great job on 20 miles, and I honestly cannot believe that Boston is now in the 20-days! So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's totally awesome and there's one IN Bayer's Lake?!?!?!??!!? I'm definitely going there this weekend. :D

      Delete
  14. You are awesome! I want those tacos. Great work on the 20 miles!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Baaaa, Chris and I were the other runners! It was a 29 day for us, 32 is next weekend, can't wait. It was a lovely morning for a long run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really??? Lol. I thought Chris looked familiar and possibly I saw him at the Moose Run?

      Delete
  16. Great 20! You're going to kill it at Boston!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cassie! I sure hope you're right ;)

      Delete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Girl that is awesome!!! WOW what a dream to run at Boston!!! You're going to do so great!!

    ReplyDelete