Friday, 14 March 2014

March Break in Newfoundland!

Happy March Break!

Here's a bit of what I've been up to since I've landed in St. John's, NL.

First off the must-haves for a flight: New Runner's World (now read cover to cover), sneakers to carry on and laptop.

Some pugs were happy to see me! Meet Doug and Lily. :)

I was very grateful for my sister's treadmill when I woke up to snow, no sidewalks and high winds. Yep. 5 very warm miles while watching Sex and the City. 

Dad and I grabbed a bite to eat on our excursions on the town post-run. I used to eat this all the time in my University days....lol.
So after lunch, when Dad and I were crossing the street, he was warning me to "Watch my step," since there was so much snow, ice and slush with NO sidewalk to be seen (covered in snow/ice). His sentence wasn't even finished when I was staring straight out at my feet as my body flew parallel to the ground into the air and then into the messy dirty puddle. Embarrassing!!!! The embarrassment was amplified when dad decided that he must take a napkin from his pocket and wipe my coat in front of everyone at the intersection. Yep. That happened! Two thoughts occurred immediately to me: 1) Did anyone see me?!?!?! and 2) Does anything feel INJURED???

I'm amazed at how I did all of this without dropping my coffee or phone! That takes some mad skills people. ;)

*Update on my fall: nothing got seriously hurt, but the right side of my butt is sporting a solid bruise, lol.

Thursday
My PB toast was very appealing to some pugs.

Since I didn't mind the TM run as much as I thought I would on Wednesday, I popped in the next shows of Sex and the City and ran my 5 miles on the treadmill again today. :) It was raining from the heavens this morning! I weighed a whopping 1lb less post-run from the sweat loss!!! I've never weighed myself before and after a run before, but since my sister owns a set of scales I thought I'd try it. I'd love to see what would happen after a good 20 miler! :0 After lunch I was right back at my usual weight....lol.

My afternoon snack nearly set off the fire alarms....oops! Dad chucked it outside on the deck since it was smoking so badly! LOL.

Since afternoon snack was an epic fail, Dinner had to step up it's game! Say hello to Cajun chicken nachos and awesome Chicken Parm. MMMMMM!

And of course, my sisters and I had to have a mini-photo shoot...lol. 

 Bib & Wave assignment for Boston!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's amazing to me with a faster BQ I get a bib number that's nearly 3000 spots 'slower,' :0 I do understand why though. The field has approximately 36000 participants this year compared to last year's 24+000!!!! Holy smokerinos!
Thanks Trudy for the new addiction: Breaking Bad. It's probably not a great idea to stay up until 2 a.m. completely enthralled in it. :S It's just so good though!  I think Doug has an opinion about it as well, lol. 


Friday
I don't know what could have prompted THIS note waiting for me this morning, lol. Doesn't everyone smokify the house when popping smart pop?!?! ;)


We headed over to an all you can eat Stir fry buffet for lunch. Super duper awesome!

Trudy is working on her photography skills. JK. ;)


Today is my rest day for running. I'll return to Halifax early tomorrow morning and head out for an easy run before Sunday's Moose Run 25k. I honestly plan on pacing myself for this race. 25k is not a joke distance and requires smart recovery in order for me to continue on with my quality training runs in the plan. Therefore I'm aiming for somewhere between 2:00-2:15 on Sunday. I will not push the pace, I will not push the pace, I will not....." You get the drift.

I hope you've had a spectacular week so far and thanks so much for visiting GGR!

Breaking Bad: Are you a fan?
Do you have a food that reminds you of your University days?
What do you watch/listen to on the treadmill?

Happy Running,
Heather :)
The Moose Run 25k is in two days!

23 comments:

  1. Makes me feel better about my fall a few days ago :) j/k bright side we have matching bum bruise's LOL. im glad your not hurt. All that food looks amazing. I am so excited for the moose run this weekend eek 25k.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Red Fox watches breaking bad, but I never got into it. He started watching it after I went to bed, so I'd never be able to catch up!

    I went to Acadia, so the scots skins from joe's food emporium is the one "meal" that screams University for me. I loved them, and I can only imagine how much fat, calories, and sodium was in them!

    We got a super snow storm here. The snowbanks are taller than I am again! it's days like yesterday (snowing, super windy) that make me wish I had a treadmill!!

    I'm glad your wipeout didn't result in any injuries! "am I hurt" would have been my first thought too! When I planted trees one summer, I HATED it, and every time I fell, I thought "am I hurt? PLEASE be hurt" LOL

    I hope you have a great run a the moose run!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Erin!

      That sounds so yummy! There were many days this winter where I wish I had a TM. :S

      Delete
  3. Why is popcorn truly so difficult to pop properly?!?! Mine always burns, too.

    Aah, spring break...a much needed reprieve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, I could not believe the smoke! LOL. It surely was a reminder why I don't make popcorn often!

      Delete
  4. Sex and the City is a great thing to run to!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved your NL recap. So nice that you get to be home for a bit! Looks like delicious food and some good runs:) I got the ok from my Dr. so I'm going to try a short run tomorrow, nothing crazy to get back into it:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm probably more excited for your return to running than you are.....weird hey? LOL

      Delete
  6. It looks like you are having a great time! I love SATC! One of my favorite shows. I don't like the first two season as much as the others so whenever I re-watch I start with season 3!! You and your sisters are gorgeous!!!!
    GOOD LUCK ON SUNDAY!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather! You are so sweet :)

      That is an awesome show!

      Delete
  7. Sorry about the fall. Ice is the worst. But I'm glad you're not hurt aside from the bruise! Also, I think it's fascinating to weigh myself before and after a run. Not sure why. I do it in the summer on purpose, though, so I can make sure I rehydrate enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I think I had it coming, talking and texting....lol. According to my dad that was the reason anyway. I was amazed that five miles could make me weigh one pound less post-run!!!

      Delete
  8. It was great seeing you :) Can't wait till the summer...hopefully you'll be here sometime in July ;) Have a safe flight back tomorrow! Best of luck on your race on Sunday ;) Talk to you soon. Carla xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carla! Great seeing you too. Thanks so much for the awesome cake :D xo

      Delete
  9. Haha yes I am a fan of Breaking Bad and I think I watched all the episodes in like the course of two weeks. I started watching it about a month before the last episode aired so I had to get caught up pretty quickly so I could watch everything! Ok it probably took me more than two weeks to watch but I can assure you there were many late, LATE nights because it was so addicting! I love the look on the pug's face while you're watching it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That show is like crack! I'm hooked already, lol.

      Delete
  10. Sex and the City is my favorite thing to run to. I always just zone out and some how, before I know it, I've been running forever. Good luck on your race! You are definitely not going to push it. You are the most disciplined runner ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, I couldn't believe how quickly the TM run went when I watched it! If only I had discovered this sooner...lol.

      Delete
  11. Pepperoni rolls and chicken Caesar pitas=university :) I love running to shows that are funny, personally. Friends is a go-to but lots of comedies or even reality shows. For some reason, I can't focus on dramas on the treadmill.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pepperoni rolls sound amazing! I really LOVE Friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like you had a great time visiting your family! Glad to hear you didn't hurt anything in the fall too :)

    ReplyDelete