Friday, 7 March 2014

First Week of March Recap


Happy March Break! The week that's been anticipated pretty much since Christmas vacay ended. ;)
 
This has been a pretty tough week. Hence the no blogging. I try to keep my blog positive, but sometimes Life happens and things get real. My grandfather died this week. It was my Dad's Dad. This was sad for me for obvious reasons. Plus I kept thinking of how my Dad lost his Dad. I can't even imagine how sad he is. :(  I'm heading to NL on Tuesday to spend some time with the family since they are all there and I'm in Nova Scotia. I am hoping to post while I'm there so be sure to keep checking in. :) Matt and Lola are going to hold down the fort here. I told him he has to text me a picture of Lola every day. <3
 
:( I would never ditch the blog on purpose, trust me. I've had major guilt for not posting. But, I'm back. :)
 
Let's Recap!
 
Sunday
So, after I had a super long Epsom salt bath post-race, I foam rolled, stretched and sat on frozen peas, in other words: "iced." Then I was ambitious and thought I'd head to the grocery store, but I sort of popped a tire on the way there......whomp whomp. :(  Don't worry, it's all fixed now. :)
 
I uploaded my stats onto Garmin Connect Sunday night and quickly analyzed my splits. My fastest mile was 7:11 and the slowest mile was 8:12 (remember my mention of the hill that went on until the end of time....that was it). Average overall pace was 7:34/mile. :) 
 
Check out those hills! I know, nothing crazy but surely a kick in the butt when you're
 encountering most of them in the last 4ish miles/6.4 km.
My Sunday night looked like this as well. Someone sure wanted attention. <3

I picked up some Luna bars for work this week too. I'm really digging them. I'm not exactly certain why they are "For Women," but they sure taste yummy.

Monday
Woke up with a serious case of the DOMS in my calves and hammies. :S Today's run sure was an easy pace, although the effort felt like somewhat of a challenge on my tired legs. ;)  When I got home I did 8 min abs and some strength exercises.

 
I whipped up some brown rice with veggies when I got home. Matt and I polished this off in no time.  We can sure put it away!

Tuesday
I had a scheduled leg massage today so I knew I was in for some real good pain! (Gulp). You know you have major lactic acid build up when your masseuse says, "Oh my, does this hurt?!?!" Followed by major pain torture. She said my right calf muscle and left hamstring was 'quite tight.'
My view while I got worked on. I always look over at Muscle Guy and examine the areas of the leg she's currently probing at. :) I say that in the nicest way possible, lol. 


Tuesday evening I got  an email that made me smile. I will be eagerly checking the mail every single day now! 

Tuesday and Wednesday Runs
My legs are slowly getting back to their normal condition. On Tuesday I was scheduled to do 800s, but since I only like to do speed work once during the week and I just raced on Sunday, I switched up the schedule a bit to do Steady Runs on both days, with no intervals. :)  My body thanked me for it. There has been a lot of foam rolling going on as well. That's just how I roll. ;)

My massage on Tuesday REALLY helped my recovery! If any of you Runner Friends do not get massages on your legs, you need to start now. My masseuse even said so. :) I asked.
 
Thursday
Work and life has been so insanely busy this week that running has been my saving grace. My work has had many many meetings this week and some were focused on data I'd gathered. Therefore, I was doing much of the talking. Stressful!
 
I've discovered that Running is meditative for me. No matter what the day throws in my face, Running can kick it's butt!
 
My Thursday 8 miler felt awesome. I had the roads to myself and enjoyed every second of it. Even when the crazy big dog lunged at me barking as I ran by it's yard. Good times. ;)  
Lola gets mad props for photo bombing my foot selfie yet again!
Friday
REST day! Thank goodness. ;)
Even though everyone got 'Out of Dodge' right at the bell today to start their well-earned break, I stayed behind until after 5 to enter data and ensure that my first day back after break is good to go. Let the relaxation begin!

Thanks so much for visiting GGR. Have a beautiful day!

Have you tried Luna bars?
Any plans for March Break?
What is Running for you?

Happy Running,
Heather :)

The Moose Run 25k is in 9 days!!!

34 comments:

  1. So sorry about your grandfather. One of my best friend's grandaddy dies this week too. We just had the funeral and of course that is always a sad time. Prayers for your family.

    I love the chocolate peppermint Luna bars! Your leg massage sounds fabulous. My IT band is still tight and i've been thinking about getting a massage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much :)

      Those Luna bars are great!

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather. :-( I will be praying for your family.
    And you always are super positive in your posts - I need to take a lesson from you! Running is super therapeutic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about your grandfather :( I did miss your posts though! I definitely felt like that after my Hypo Half as well - they are tough runs!! I just booked a massage and I can't wait! Awesome runs getting back into it after the race!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Heather..... welcome back. I am very sorry about your grandfather.

    I haven't tried Luna bars. They look tasty though! Still trying to find your beet juice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Crystal :)

      They are so tasty! I usually get my Beet root juice at the local grocery store (Sobeys or Super store) in the 'Healthy Section.' But first I found it at the Health food store.

      Delete
  5. Hey :) again so sorry about your grsndfather. Sometimes life sucks :( Luna bars sound good. R they like a energy/granola bar ? Sorta like clif ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam! Those bars are so good. They are just like an energy bar. :)

      Delete
  6. Aw, sweetie, I'm so sorry about your grandfather :( if you need anything, let me know...I can send cookies! I'm going to try to convince Joe that I need to take your advice on leg massages ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emmeline. :) I'm always down for cookies ;)

      Totally get that leg massage...You'll love it!

      Delete
  7. I am sorry to hear about your grandfather but hope that you do get to relax when you go home! The sunsets have been amazing this week and your picture captured it well. I have my first ever leg massage this week....I'm excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Courteney :) I can't wait to hear how your massage went!

      Delete
  8. Sorry about your Grampa:( I'm so happy you get to go to NFLD and spend some time with the family. I walked by your house this am, but it didn't look like anyone was up. Haha, it's so funny how we're open with the house creeping:P Less than 7 weeks to go?! Holy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heidi :)

      The funny thing was I was up at 5 for some odd reason, couldn't sleep so I did laundry!!! Matt left after that and I fell back to sleep! LOL

      Delete
  9. I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather. I completely agree though that running is meditative - it's so nice just to get out and let your mind have some time away from all the craziness and distractions!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heather, I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather. That is a really tough thing to deal with. I hope you enjoy the time with your family, and I bet you will all have lots of good stories to share with each other.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great pace, Heather! Your posts make me soooo excited to get well and RUN! I am so sorry to hear about your grandfather. Hang in there, girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg! I'm so excited you are on the mend :D

      Delete
  12. I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather. I am sending you happy thoughts. Running really is my therapy. I have realized that I enjoy running so much because my brain turns off and I don't have to talk to anyone or worry about anything. I can't believe that Boston is in 7 weeks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel :)

      I know, 7 weeks is just crazy!

      Delete
  13. Very sorry to hear about you and your family's loss. Take care... Great job on your training this week. Boston... so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sorry to hear about your loss. I had the same thoughts when my Dad's dad died. I can't imagine losing my dad. :(

    Thanks for the tip on the leg massage. I think I need to get some lined up! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much :)
      Definitely get that massage ;)

      Delete
  15. I'm so sorry for your loss, Heather. There aren't adequate words for comfort, but I'll be thinking of you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So sorry for your loss. Great training this week though, I hope you have some nice therapeutic runs. So exciting about Boston!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so so sorry for your loss. Grandparents are so special. I'm sending you lots of comfort and peaceful thoughts your way.

    When I was teaching I would always stay late on Friday's and the day before vacation to make sure everything was all set for when we came back! It made me feel relaxed!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Did you know you can create short urls with Shortest and get dollars from every click on your short urls.

    ReplyDelete