Tuesday, 4 February 2014

Workouts, Food and Shout Out!

I hope you have had a terrific Tuesday and if you live along the east coast, I hope you have your shovels handy yet again! We have another Wednesday storm coming our way.......What is up with the Wacky Wednesday Weather?!
 
Our Sunday night dinner: Chicken Ciabatta sandwiches, roasted broccoli, sweet potato and carrots. :)
 

Okay, so I always read the Hungry Runner Girl's Blog and comment on her posts quite often. She gets hundreds of comments every day! Which means that I was stunned when I saw that she replied to one of my comments! :D Super sweet Shout out! She even told me she hopes I have a great day! :) We are now BFFs.....she just doesn't know it. ;)
Monday
My Monday afternoon began with a Physio appointment to check out this knee of mine. It was a little tight following my run on Sunday.

I was super tired on Monday, since I woke up in the middle of the night for no apparent reason and couldn't get back to sleep ...... you know, until it was time to get up. :S

I was actually thinking of grabbing a coffee on my way to Physio, but time didn't permit. When I got in there I noticed a hot beverage vending machine. I was about to plunk some change in when the secretary said, "No, they're free!" Day made!!!!  I may go to Physio every day now. :)
My Monday run is basically an easy conversational pace run where you don't push the pace, you just get out there and get those legs moving. It was a super clear crisp evening and footing was awesome. I didn't even look at my Garmin once because I didn't want to be led by the numbers, as I often tend to be, {raised eyebrow}. It was a nice surprise that my feeling good pace was 8:02/mile!

The run felt crazy good and I believe it was because I didn't put pressure on myself to hit a certain pace or beat a specific time.
Post-run, I worked my core, arms, chest and back at home in the comfort of my living room while watching Coronation Street. Okay, how sad was it tonight (Tuesday)???? I actually cried my eyes out!

Tuesday
I didn't go to Yoga tonight because I had a few things to do and I had a hard workout to complete that involved Speed---Eek! Speedwork makes me nervous and excited all at the same time. The planned duration involved a 10 minute warm up, 4 x 800m intervals with 400m recovery jogs in between, followed by a cool down. Gulp.

I thought very hard about the 'stretch of road' I'd perform my speedwork on, since I preferred not to go to the track. The tricky part was to get a 0.5 mile stretch of road with no interruptions. :S I finally decided on one that was pretty conducive to intervals.....Other than it being dark and I wasn't sure if there were black ice patches lingering in the shadows. :0 You just gotta watch out for those things!

The pace I hoped to hit them at was somewhere between my 5k and 10k pace. Here is a breakdown of the run:
 
 Not crazy fast, but it's a solid start. :) 

Heads up: When you are doing speed work, you may wonder
  • Why you are doing it?
  • if you will die!
  • if you will puke!
  • What other people driving by think you are running from?
  • What would happen if you slipped?!?!?!?!!??!!!?!?
  • And, how 800m could possibly feel so long!
But when it is done you will feel a mixture of things:
  • Relief
  • Victory
  • Lactic acid build up
  • And Jello legs. Yep. This WILL happen.
My super awesome VP and also Yoga teacher brought me a sample of Chocolate Protein Powder today. Check out this sweet blend:
If you like Reese Pieces, you will like this. You're welcome. :)
 
And here is yet another picture of my food. This dinner was actually very yummy. Roasted Chicken breasts, broccoli and brown rice with veggies. 

 While I was doing 'Speed Work,' Lola was doing 'Sleep Work.' So typical. <3
 Have a super duper spectacular night and thanks a bunch for checking out GGR!

Happy Running,
Heather :)

28 comments:

  1. You posted some yummy looking food pics! I'd love to try that chocolate protein shake! Funny you read Hungry Runner Girl, I got to meet her at the Runner's World event (although I didn't know about her blog before then)! We got our shovels out but according to our news right now we are only going to get a bit compared to other areas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You met her?! :0 That is so awesome!

      The chocolate was super good! I'd definitely recommend it.

      Delete
  2. I love HRG!! My blogging idol! haha! Great runs by the way - you are super speedy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's awesome and so motivating! Thanks Kris.....I hope I'm speedy at my next race. :D

      Delete
  3. I always wonder how 800s feel like forever. I also am always convinced I will die running them I feel so horrible. Ugh my least favorite workout by a million. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emmeline! I was very nervous to do this workout......for some weird reason. I felt super proud of myself when I was done though :)

      Delete
  4. I hate hate hate speed work! We do ours on a track and I swear I end up running an extra 50 metres at least, dodging the geese that congregate there and hiss at you as you to past.

    Hungry Runner Girl is awesome, I think I even discovered your blog by reading through her comments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hissing Geese sound scary! Be careful :0 I always hate speedwork when I'm doing it, but I am super happy when I'm finished. :D

      I <3 HRG!

      Delete
  5. Off to do some speed work at the track today...2 firsts for me so we'll see how sore my legs are tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahah! I remember getting a shout out from her and PB Fingers and I was like star struck! We are silly! Lola is so cute and chill! Let's trade doggies for a day and you take Sadie for a 13 mile run? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, totally star struck! ;) I would love to run with Sadie....seriously! Then I wouldn't be scared to go out Coyote way...lol.

      Delete
  7. I got a shout out from her once too. It was the highlight of my day. I'm such a nerd. Nice speedwork! That's so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your thoughts during/after speed work are SPOT ON!!! I feel the exact same way! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear that someone else thinks as I do! When my belly was burning as if I were about to puke, I asked myself 'What the heck am I doing THIS for????' But when I was done I was all 'I love speed work! Speed work is great!' LOL

      Delete
  9. Speed work for me starts in a couple of weeks with 800s. I've run 400s before and know how hard those are, so I might just die with 800s ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can do it! I thought the same thing and I survived. :)

      Delete
  10. omg, Corrie has been so sad the last couple nights!!
    Love following your blog, Heather. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks April! I'm super glad to find another Corrie fan :D

      Delete
  11. I found a nice cosy rink with a track to run on Wednesday.It's so tough finding a clear & non-icy path anywhere in my city too. I don't mind doing speedwork because it breaks up my routine. I love the "speed work" vs. "sleep work." So cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used the track a couple of times last year but I kept getting sore legs from the tight turns. :S Speed work would not happen here today! We have a sheet of snow and ice to run on... :(

      Delete
  12. Your protein drink sounds yummy! I really need to start using the blender again and making some tasty, healthy drinks! Nice job on your runs...hope your knee feels better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janelle! You should definitely try this shake!!! I was wishing it would never end. :D

      Delete
  13. I love HRG! :)
    Seriously girl...how do you find the motivation to run at night and in the cold? I need to come stay with you and see if your charms rub off on me! However, I must be getting use to it. Today I was subbing and after a snow day yesterday and all the lovely snow, I wasn't sure if the kiddos would be able to go outside. The school's policy is if the weather is above 20 degrees they can go outside. So we go outside and I was surprised how warm it was! It was only like 22, haha. The other teachers were like "It IS freezing." I was ready to go running! lol!!! At least Spring is almost here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is awesome!

      Come here, we'll run together!!! We've had such an intense winter this year that even super cold days are beginning to feel like the norm now. I'll probably shrivel up and roast when the summer comes! LOL

      Delete
  14. Your icy speedwork amazes me. You're way braver than I am!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think you're definition of speed work and mine are completely different lol. Although after my "speed work" session the other day my legs were so sore I could barely run today. :-(

    ReplyDelete