Saturday, 8 February 2014

Snow & New Kicks!

This super duper low key weekend has been highly anticipated. Welcome Weekend!

Wednesday
So my usual homeward bound commute from work takes me about 40 minutes on a typical day. Not on Wednesday. :S We had a snow storm move into the city mid afternoon which led to a stand still on the bridge.  Just lovely...lol. After an hour and a half of slow crawling, I made it home.

Waiting for me were these glorious kicks! The new Asics Kayano 20 Lite Show in Glacier Mint. Notice the complimentary pair of socks Hashem always throws in. :D These shoes have awesome reflectivity which is great since 4/6 runs a week are happening after sunset.

Even though it was a blizzard outside, I decided I'd still get my 4 miler in. EVEN if it involved a slow snowy shuffle. ;)
Basically, my eyes were frozen shut by the time I arrived home. If you look closely you can see the frost and snow on my eye area.

Thursday
No snow storm today, but some super tricky footing in areas. The sidewalks were comparable to a skating rink so I hit up the side streets instead for my 7 mile Tempo Run.

I was cautious with my stride and therefore wasn't exactly able to hit my pace of 8 min/miles ...... but I think I'd prefer to be 6 sec slower per mile on the run than have a major fall. So, I'll take it!

Friday
Rest day. No running happened today.....just as planned. :)  I'm being such a good listener for this training cycle, lol. Not sneaking in any miles what so ever!

We made a super awesome dinner tonight of salmon, roasted sweet potato, broccoli and snap peas. We were so excited to eat it that there are no pics. :( Sorry.

Saturday
Finally, my first daylight run in the new kicks!

 Today was a planned pace run. With a sunny sky and clear sidewalks I was good to go!
 
I headed out to the post office along the main road here for a total of 7 miles. I was pleased with the pace, even though I knew I had not hydrated properly yesterday which left me with tree-trunk legs. Let's just say I am currently making up for it in order to prep for my 14 miler tomorrow! 
 
 Post run, I had a great lunch. Lola decided she'd beg for most of my eggs, {raised eyebrow}.

 
I had a few people inquire about my use of Beet root juice on one of my last posts. So, here's the link to a post I did in October just before the PEI marathon if you are interested. Long story short, it's used by endurance athletes because of it's performance enhancing effects. Enjoy!
 
I love when you pop over to GGR! Have a beautiful day :)
 
What are your weekend plans?
Have you ever tried Beet root Juice?
 
Happy Running,
Heather

21 comments:

  1. Love the new kicks....how are they feeling??
    Weekend plans are nothing spectacular...running and grooming for the boy.

    I have never taken beet juice...I'm going to leave that for you speedsters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They feel great!

      LOL..you should try it sometime! It's really not that bad. :D

      Delete
  2. I'm loving your shoes! Where do you order from that you get free socks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I order them from a man in Charlottetown, PEI and he mails them the next day! It's pretty convenient since I dont' have to leave my house. :) He sells only asics, but always gives a complimentary pair of socks. :D

      Delete
  3. Love the shoes! You are always so inspiring. I always want to go outside and run when I read about your snowy runs. I will probably still stick to my long run on the 'mill tomorrow because it's supposed to be a storm, but you inspire me to go outside more often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) You are so sweet! If it makes you feel any better my hydration bottles froze today...lol. I hope you had a great run!

      Delete
  4. I have never tried beet root juice! Pink pee... hehehe! I can't wait to get outside and run!! But until then, I shall run vicariously through you... which is easy because we are having the same weather right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, pink pee. LOL. I was slightly horrified the first time this happened to say the least! Feel better Meg!

      Delete
  5. You are so much braver than I to run in the dark, ice, and snow. I'm a giant klutz anyway, so adding those things just seems like begging for injury for me. :) I've never tried beet root juice. I've never seen it in any stores around here. I've done tart cherry, which is also supposed to be super good for post-run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might need to try the tart cherry juice. I just buy my beet root juice at the grocery store now. They didn't have it in the fall when I was training and I had to get it from a health food store. The idea is that you drink it before your run (2-3 hours) and it's supposed to boost your endurance performance. ??? We'll see!

      Delete
  6. Ahhhh I would NOT want to be stuck on that bridge for too long, I'm NOT a bridge person at all, which is kind of ironic since I went to college on an island where was most easily accessible by going over a bridge that was over a mile long...
    Have u ever tried beet juice by just draining juice out of a container full of beets? Because I could just do that right now, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This bridge is exactly a mile long as well! :) You can actually feel it move on stormy days....not for me! LOL.

      It tastes just like the juice straight from the container. I love beets, but drinking the juice is challenging on the best of days for me!

      Delete
  7. Those shoes are so pretty! I drank beet juice when I was marathon training as well but I had such a hard time getting it down, I just don't like the taste. Obviously I did it anyway because I'm weird like that when it comes to running but not about to go there right now since I'm just running half marathons this spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do really like my new shoes. :) Notice the shot glass in the picture. I couldn't drink it straight out in a glass like normal either...lol.

      Delete
  8. I have shoe envy! Love the color. I am going to check out beetroot juice this week. I will let you know how it goes. I know that bridge! I was in Halfiax last summer. I was thinking I wanted to run over it but I never got the chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I always have shoe envy....I think it's a runner thing ;) Yes, that bridge is exactly one mile long....which is pretty neat. Try the beet juice and let me know what you think!

      Delete
  9. You are rocking your training girl! I love the name of your shoes - glacier mint! That is awesomeeeeee! Have a great 14 miler today!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohh, I love those reflective mint green Kayanos! I have to keep those in mind the next time I need to replace my shoes! Sounds like you had a great week of training!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love those shoes! You are a dedicated runner for getting out there in the snow storm :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love those shoes!! I can't believe all the snow you're still getting. But I guess it makes more sense in February than the alternative!

    ReplyDelete