Wednesday, 12 February 2014

Comfort & Hills

"Oops, Where've I been?!" {Sing to the tune of this song.................} 
There is something purely awesome about this song playing on Songza. :D
 
Our Sunday Night dinner creation: Taco Soup! I apologize for the display and how it's not all beautiful and chef-like, but we were RUNgry!!!! 

Monday
Road Conditions for my easy 4 mile run on Monday looked mostly like this..............
 and a few segments were like this...................

My plan was to do a 'Comfortable' run that wasn't gut-busting and also that wasn't all 'la la la I love to run,' feeling. You know, somewhere in the middle.

Post-run, Training Peaks insisted that I perform a series of lunges.....oh the joys! ;) I have never been a huge lunge fan but if it promises to help me prep for Boston, I'm in.  I used my dumb bells in each hand as I descended into lunge position. Embarrassingly enough, I lost count of my reps so I have no idea how many I did....lol.

I followed my lunges with my ab workout. After that I did some strength training with my arms. I always like to follow a workout with flexing my arms at Matt saying, "Check out my pipes!" LOL.....his comment on Monday: "Gee, you've got Man muscles!" Whatever that means, I'll take it!

I'm jumping back on the protein shake post-run wagon again. I get too lazy post-run to blend up some fruit and protein. Really I do. So now I'm making myself do it, especially with all the harder runs I'm doing.
Tuesday
Today's special: Hill Repeats! 4 of them.  {One is recommended to be run down to condition the muscles for the hills of Boston}. Yeah, as if you can ready yourself for THAT! LOL. I speak from experience and one bloody blistered toe brought on by before mentioned hills.

Side note: Legs super sore from all the lunging! (is that even a word?).

My workout was 4 x hill repeats (1 down). The hill I used last week was my victim, ;)  It's 650m. This run was super duper chilly! It was tough, but I got it done.
I apologize that all my IG friends have seen two of these photos already. I guess I need to get more creative, lol. :D

Have a spectacular day and thanks again for poppin' by GGR!

Happy Running,
Heather :)

24 comments:

  1. I love that song! That song was my jam in elementary/high school! Whoo hoo!
    I love hills. Something about conquering a hill makes me feel like a badass ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I love that song too! It's one of my feel good songs I listen to while I'm getting ready ;)

      I get weirdly excited when I have a hill workout, lol.

      Delete
  2. I HATE lunges. Today was leg day and I always save them until the very last set. They make me want to lay on the ground forever. But hey--- they make your behind look good in jeans! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Point taken-I think I'll wear jeans tomorrow ;)

      I always feel like I'm doing them wrong and I feel silly ....lol.

      Delete
  3. I always hated squats and lunges. I have no idea why, I'd rather do harder exercises than even easy body weight versions of those! I actually have to run a major downhill no matter which loop I take from my house because the whole first 4 miles are gradual uphill. I've learned to find it fun and my legs really are getting stronger :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely hated them as well! Hopefully I'll learn to love them :)

      We also live on a hill. It isn't steep but it's long. I love running down it, but coming up...not so much.

      Delete
  4. You are awesome for running on those road conditions! That would have me headed for the dreadmill! I would sooooo take "man muscles" as a compliment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL.....I was thinking of the 'man muscles' comment again today. I think he meant it in a good way. ;)

      Delete
  5. I love that word - RUNgry!! It applies to me very often ;) Awesome runs!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's super weird: After a long run it takes a few hours for my RUNger to kick in ;) But when it does, look out! Everything in the pantry is fair game.....lol.

      Delete
  6. I need to get back on the post-workout protein shake bandwagon...my body will thank me for it. Your workout notes are really helpful for me to prepare me for the Heartbreak Hill half in June!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That 1/2 sounds so cool. I wish I could do it!

      Delete
  7. You are a beast in tackling James (I'm assuming that was your hill of choice). I cannot wait to follow you on the day of the race to see how all this hard work is going to pay off..BIG TIME!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Courteney!

      It actually was not James this time, lol. I found another that mimics the elevation of the hills at Boston.

      Delete
  8. That soup looks AMAZING. I think having man muscles is a huge compliment! I can't wait for my muscles to stand out and be that strong! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ali, I got it from the HRG. :D

      I'm always nervous I'll get too big and slow down in running when I work out. But I think with distance running, that is a non-issue, lol.

      Delete
  9. You are going to rock Boston! Also, your taco soup looks delicious... and now I want tacos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God Erin, I hope you're right....Boston is a beast!

      I always crave tacos once I know someone else has had them, so weird, lol!

      Delete
  10. Was the hill James by any chance?! lol. I remember good ole' James.
    We saw you last night, I think you saw Kenny and Sadie in the window...someone has to keep neighbourhood watch, right?! ;)
    You're going to kill the Boston hills, I just know it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey it's actually not James. James was a little shorter than I wanted so I hit up another 'close' hill. ;) I saw and waved to Kenny and Sadie too :) I love seeing you guys when I run by!

      Delete
  11. Nice job doing your least-favorite exercise! I need to copy you and do a post-run shake or something... refueling properly is my biggest weakness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cassie! I got out of the 'effective refuelling post-run' for a while, but I feel so much better when I recover right.

      Delete
  12. I love that song. In fact I just went to grooveshark & it's not playing as I type this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, lol......it also reminds me of the Christmas movie ELF. :D

      Delete