Thursday, 16 January 2014

What I've Been Up To This Week

Well Hi there! What do you know, I didn't drop off the face of the blogosphere. :D

I was going to do a Three Word Thursday post, but I figure I owe you guys many more words than that since I haven't posted since Sunday!

Monday
I found wonderful Satsuma Mandarins when I was out shopping this weekend. They make for excellent work snacks.

After work on Monday, I headed out for an 'easy' run and it started out that way with my pace flirting in the mid 8s. Then a guy popped out of nowhere with his dog and I was about to pass him (we were going in the same direction).  I noticed he was picking up the pace, or in other words 'wasn't going to let a chick pass him.' ;)  Clearly I wasn't going to give up......I can be so stubborn sometimes. Long story short and some 0.5 of a mile later, my Garmin clocked a low 7 mile.  Waaaay to fast for my Monday shake out run. The rest of the run went much more slowly, but I kept checking my shoulder for 'that guy with the dog.' hehe.
 Tuesday
Check out this early morning cotton candy sunrise!

Yep. This happened on Tuesday! I finally completed and mailed my free entry to the Johnny Miles Running Weekend and selected.............drumroll...........................the Marathon! I'm totally hoping for much cooler temperatures and to return to the old course route this year.  That's two full marathons added to my 2014 running calendar!

If you recall, Tuesday is my Yoga day + easy short run day. :)  I was completely impressed when I was able to do the dancer and not fall flat on my face. So was my instructor! LOL. And then, to top it off, she called us superstars when we could put ourselves into the full Bow pose. I could feel every muscle in my body for those few breaths. Pweph!

Tuesday's dinner: Roasted chicken breasts, broccoli & carrots with baked sweet potato.
Wednesday
Seriously, this is what Lola does when I'm stumbling out of bed early in the morning. With such a cuddly bed buddy it's no wonder my snooze button and I have such a close relationship, ;)

Super late start to my midweek 7 miler today! We had a staff meeting after work and then I sat in rush hour traffic for much longer than I had planned or wished to. :S Either way, I got my run in and felt awesome! Even if I missed the entire episode of Coronation Street.
Oh and the best part.....lol...after I was all done running and then dinner, I had oodles of reading to do for my professional development day the next morning that I didn't finish until well after 11 p.m. :0 

Thursday
My favourite part of PD days: Lunch with Thai food! :D Cashew Chicken gets me every time.  And I can never get enough of these fancy carrots.......really, how cool are they?!

 
It was a very mild rainy short run this evening. I am really working hard this training cycle to not run every run with 'guts all out' as I tend to do. I am working on taking my 'easy scheduled runs' easy so that I do not over train or burn out. I'm workin' on it.
 


Tomorrow is my Rest Day. I have two pretty big runs on schedule for the weekend. Let's hope we get some great running weather! ;)

Lastly, Adidas recently released the 2014 Boston Jacket in Orange Zest. It is getting very mixed reviews from runners everywhere. Some of the comments are jaw dropping. You can read about it here. Personally, I think it's awesome and I cannot wait to wear it on my back this April. Earning a Boston Jacket is gift of health and fitness. I feel privileged and proud to wear my unicorn gear and this April, you can find me in orange zest! :D

Photo from the Adidas site

What do you think of this year's jacket?
Thai food-love it or hate it?
Favourite Yoga pose?

Thanks for paying me a visit and stay dry!

Happy Running,
Heather :)

28 comments:

  1. very interesting reading your blog Heather. and I also love the boston jackets,,only wish I had half the energy you got,to earn one of those jackets.LOL.im sure it will look great on you..Love mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting on my blog mom! I love when people write me :)

      I'm very excited to get my second Boston jacket....I'll let you try it on this summer ;)

      Delete
  2. Thai food... LOVE IT! Probably my favorite food on the planet. Also, I am trying this year to run slower on some days, but it is SO hard to slow myself down. I wanted to do a nice, easy pace today, then I looked down at my Garmin and was running in the very low 7's. I couldn't believe it. I concentrated very hard on slowing down after that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh me too! LOVE it :D

      It's hard to run easy on days where you just want to 'go'! I've learned the hard way at times that every run cannot be 'hard' effort. We'll work on it :D

      Delete
  3. Dang, you speedy runner you! Your writing is really nice :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leigh! My grammar could use some work for sure...lol.

      I think speed is all relative and there are days where I feel like I'm Cheetah fast but my Garmin quickly humbles me with turtle numbers. It depends on the day for sure. But thanks :D

      Delete
  4. I can totally relate to not wanting to get out of bed because of a cuddly puppy! I like the orange jacket although I could see where others would have mixed feelings because it's not the traditional colors. I love those compression capris! Did they have those in last year's colors? I'd love to get my sister a pair of those since she ran Boston last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cuddly puppies are super hard to leave...lol. :)

      I agree, some people really got their back up with orange. I was honestly expecting black.....I don't really know why, but I was pleasantly surprised with orange. I know people who ordered it and said it was 'hideous' online but 'awesome' in real life. The DID have compression capris last year, but the style was somewhat different. I am buying EVERYTHING this year, lol.

      Delete
  5. I can totally relate to not wanting to get out of bed because of a cuddly puppy! I like the orange jacket although I could see where others would have mixed feelings because it's not the traditional colors. I love those compression capris! Did they have those in last year's colors? I'd love to get my sister a pair of those since she ran Boston last year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never tried Thai food and people at work rave about it....looks like I need to add it to my list of things to try. I can't wait to see you wearing the new Boston jacket....I think you need a pair of those tights this year as well!!!

    I'm lucky that Indy doesn't lay in bed like that....there is no way I'd be getting up for work if he looked like that!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must try it! :D

      I am going to buy everything that Visa permits this year, lol.....that way I don't come home with the 'I wish I bought.....' attitude.

      Lola is one lazy pup!

      Delete
  7. I like the jacket! But I also love orange so don't mind me. And Thai is a favorite of mine :) so good. A place near my old house made the best pad see euw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the Thai place near your house immediately increases your property value ;) I like orange as well, so maybe that's why I'm loving the new style. :D

      Delete
  8. If i had the chance to have a boston jacket, i wouldnt care what colour it is. I think they are going for something different this year... after what happened last year, i think they are going for something more celebratory, and it‘s like the beginning if a new era. Boston reborn. That being said, i like the blue ones, but only because blue and yellow is my favorite colour combo (that was also our gymnastics team colours!)

    That dinner looks delicious... i‘m going to add sweet potatoes to my shopping list! It‘s something i never think about.

    Great runs this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you, they could have designed it in camouflage and I'd be happy....lol. I did read their intent was a more positive celebratory one this year. I do love my blue and yellow though. It's the traditional Boston colour combo as with the lanyards on the medals. I'm happy either way :D

      Sweet potatoes are super easy to make in may ways, much like regular potatoes and they are very good for you too. :)

      Great runs to you as well!

      Delete
  9. I don't mind the orange. I like that it will be distinctly different from the one I have from 2009, which is mostly blue with some yellow accents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the 2009 jacket (I do not own one). That was the first year I started running and I immediately said I wanted one of those jackets one day :) I'm digging the orange too. It's Boston, I'd love any colour!

      Delete
  10. You are rocking it girl! Way to go!!!!! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the outfit!! I can see you wearing it. Your meals look so yummy!! It encourages me to cook :)

      Delete
    2. Me too! Thanks Janice...lol....I try my best to make a variety of things, but as it turns out, we're pretty consistent with our food choices!

      Delete
  11. I think I like the new Boston jacket-it's a nice change!
    Ok, so I know our next date...thai food. I just read that Courteney has never tried it?! It's my favourite! Cashew chicken is an excellent choice:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely Thai food! I'm always up for that!!!

      I like the new look as well. :D

      Delete
  12. I think the jacket is awesome, but I'm a sucker for colors like that!

    I love that you "raced" the guy with the dog. Hilarious! He deserved to get chicked considering he tried to pick up the pace and outdo you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL....thanks! I need that Cait Chock shirt that says, "you have just been chicked" on the back! ;)

      I'm also a vibrant diva when it comes to running gear.......I'm super excited to go and buy everything at the Boston Marathon this year! :D

      Delete
  13. I have a hard time getting out of bed in the morning for the same reason...cuddly puppies! I don't mind the orange jackets, but I hope they eventually bring back the blue. That's the color I fell in love with, and that's the color jacket I want to earn. Although I wouldn't mind eventually earning both colored jackets. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cuddly puppies are totally hard to leave! :)

      I look forward to seeing the colour choice they choose each year. Orange surprised me, but I like anything. The traditional Blue and Yellow will return I'm sure. It's also the first colour I fell in love with during my first year of running (2009). Maybe we'll run it together soon :D

      Delete
  14. Did you know you can shorten your long links with Shortest and get cash for every click on your short links.

    ReplyDelete