Tuesday, 21 January 2014

Tune, Runs & Storm Warning



Let's start out with a Tempo tune shall we??? :)  It feels like forever since I've posted one!
 
Tempo Tune
I am stunned at my latest 'Repeat Song.' I LOVE it! I was super psyched that the artist is from PEI!! Check out Jenn Grant's "White Dove." It's da jam! ;)
 

 
Monday
After a dreaded case of 'The Mondays,' I needed comfort food. I'm just embellishing in the Monday woes. I actually had a pretty good day. This chilli certainly hit the spot. I threw every veggie I could in with my lean beef, chick peas, and kidney beans. Oh and a teeny bit of cheese, lol. ;) 
My Monday run is always super duper easy and short. I make sure to follow this routine since Sunday is my long run day where I fatigue my muscles for 2hrs +.

Tonight, I was still battling the lingering symptoms of that stubborn cold that reared it's ugly head on Friday. :S I could tell it was leaving, but at it's own pace.......and certainly not race pace. You see what I did there? ;)

I ran 4 easy miles in the drizzly rain in a nearby subdivision. My legs felt considerably good after yesterday's 14 miler. :D

Tuesday
Check out this horizon on my morning walk with Lola!


On my way to work on this blustery cold day I heard the super awesome two words on the radio: "Blizzard Warning." :D
And yes, I drove all the way to work in my toque. This made for super fabulous hat hair, which then led to the 'ponytail' at work all day...lol. Classy! ;)

Everyone operated under the sense that 'we will not be at work tomorrow' all day, (on a Tuesday)...lol. It created a super jolly feel around the entire school. :) 

I stopped by the grocery store on my way home to stock up on reinforcements in case of such storm. You know, marshmallows for my hot chocolate, salty treats for movie watching and syrup for my waffles. :) 

On my evening walk with Lola, we braved arctic temperatures once again....brrr. This wonky weather is what I am blaming for the cold that ruined my entire weekend. :S  I am feeling on the mend once again though.

And then, I headed out for my run. It was scheduled to be a super short 3 miles. But I wasn't leaving any miles out in the snow so to speak. There is a very high chance that I will be logging 0 miles tomorrow with the storm coming. So I pulled the old schedule switcheroo on my Tuesday/Wednesday runs and set out for my midweek mid-distance run of 8 big ones! Once again, I layered up like the Michelin man. ;)  I'm just viewing it as weight training.


This recovery smoothie basically had 'everything' in it. It filled two of these tall glasses! I threw in banana, ice, berries, pineapple, kale, spinach, chia seeds, protein powder and almond milk.
 
Okay, I'm off to bed now to wish for the two words that dare not be spoken out loud until the morning. ;)
 
What do you put in your recovery shakes?  
What's your favourite activity to do on a Stormy Day?
 
I'm so glad you stopped by GGR. Have a wonderful night!
 
Happy  Running,
Heather :)



33 comments:

  1. Great song recommendation! Hadn't heard it before, but it's great :)

    I've got my fingers crossed for a snow day too...but I guess I better go to bed just in case it doesn't come true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's awesome :)

      The snow day fairy DID come! :D

      Delete
  2. I eat the same smoothie for breakfast every morning. It keeps me full until well past lunch. It has berries, greek yogurt, banana, almonds, protein powder, and stevia. Your smoothies always look so delicious, though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find smoothies very filling! and delicious...lol. :)

      Delete
  3. I knew you'd be excited about today's blizzard lol! I'm not very excited about it because I want to have my baby, but I don't want to drive in 30cm of snow to the IWK! It's pretty though, I'll give it that, and Sadie loves it! Enjoy your day off drinking hot chocolate:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heidi! I am LOVING this day off :D I really hope Baby O waits until the conditions are better for driving to make his appearance. ;)

      Delete
  4. Hot chocolate and movies on a stormy day! What a beautiful red sky you had, love your morning running pics always :) hope you get your snow day today!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emmeline! I am currently enjoying reading blogs in the middle of the day and not being at work! :)

      Delete
  5. Yay....snow day today!!! I'm sad as it means our trail is gone again.

    Your shakes do look yummy....I'm always chilly when I get back from a run so I never have one...I need to change that!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trail will be back again before we know it I'm sure :)

      I'm cold too, but I make it before I run and drink it after I shower...try that!

      Delete
  6. We were off yesterday, too. This am I am enjoying a 2 hour delays w/ coffee and my kitties! Hope you had a delay, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love delays/days off with coffee and pets :D

      Delete
  7. Did you have off? I admire you for getting out to run on such blustery days! You truly are a snow warrior when it comes to running! Your chili looks amazing. I've never thought to put chick peas in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm OFF! :D

      Try it with chick peas....more protein and very yummy!

      I don't know about snow warrior, but thank you. :) If I don't run in the snow, I dont' run since I don't own a TM. Sometimes it feels super badass when you're the only runner in sight on a Wintery day. ;)

      Delete
  8. Gosh this song but a smile on my face! Love it & thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fingers crossed that you guys don't end up with too much snow! A perfect snow day would include movie watching, lounging in front of the fire or reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really hoping we don't get too much snow, but it is nasty outside! :S

      That sounds super cozy :)

      Delete
  10. Good for you for getting out there in the dark and cold for 8 miles!! I'm a bit of a wimp running at night these days as our pathways are pretty icy out.

    Can't wait to discover some great new tunes through your Tempo Tunes feature!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking out my blog!

      I'm an ice wimp as well. ;) A fall just isn't worth it!

      I'm always looking for new tunes so I'm happy you post them as well. :D

      Delete
  11. Love that you did 8 just in case your run got snowed out. You're amazing!!

    I love how fresh-faced you look! I need snow so I can bundle up and have rosy cheeks and look adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet! :) I'm glad the freezing cold masked my less than stellar skin ;) I truly do love my body, but my skin and I have a love/hate relationship, lol.

      Delete
  12. I got a snow day today. My mentality all day has been "I'll be productive tomorrow" (when it comes to my schoolwork!). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand that mentality! ;) Thanks for checking out my blog :D

      Delete
  13. Love that song! Thanks for sharing. You must be one bad-ass runner to head out in a blizzard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great song! Thanks Anita, I managed to get my run in before the big blizzard :)

      Delete
  14. I just have to ask...how cold out was it when u were running out there last night? My favorite recovery shake has protein powder, cottage cheese, pineapple, coconut, ice, coconut extract and stevia in it. Piña colada recovery shake, yum yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was probably only -10 or slightly colder. I was still getting over my cold though so I wasn't taking any chances with the cold temperatures. The wind made it feel much cooler. :S

      That sounds very awesome in your shake!

      Delete
  15. I am currently jammin' out to that song... thanks for sharing it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! I'm a believer in sharing our 'Tune Love' :)

      Delete
  16. Did you end up with a school day??!?!
    Yay for running in the cold. I have not ran this week but I have been keeping up with strength training! I am a chicken when it comes to cold weather!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey I did have a Snow day on Wednesday, but it was back to the grind today...lol. Awesome job with the strength! I am more laid back than I should be with strength, and reading this will motivate me to do it more often ;)

      Delete