Wednesday, 1 January 2014

The First Page of 2014

Welcome 2014!


Whether you got all fancy with the bubbly last night or just simply curled up in your PJ's on the couch, I hope you were happy doing it! Matt and I headed to one of our favourite restaurants for a lovely dinner and then cozied up in some flannel on the couch. After a tough fight to see the clock strike midnight, we hit the sack at 12:05.  We're wild! ;) 


Love 'em or hate 'em?
Personally, I don't tend to make 'Resolutions.'  I feel that I'm always striving to improve and/or reach some sort of goal that's usually Health related. So basically, I don't make them, lol.
I saw this slogan on IG and couldn't resist ;)

So what did you write on the first blank page of 2014?
I had planned my first 14k for 2014. When I walked Lola earlier in the morning I could feel that the wind was bitterly piercing....even more so than yesterday when I did my last 13k for 2013. Therefore, I layered like a pro. And overdressed. Again. I wore my Breath Thermo Mizuno tights with my wind blocking Running Room pants over top. For my core I did a tight base layer with a t-shirt over the top of it, a pop over type shirt over that AND my long-tailed Running Room jacket over top of that! My neck was protected with  a Buff since that was the part that got the most chilly yesterday. My face was coated with Vaseline ( Cocoa butter flavoured...mmm) since the frostbite risk was 'very high.' :S
When my sister asked me what I'd like for Christmas this year, I told her how much I loved the Vaseline kit she got me last year. And "how it prevents chaffing, frostbite and smells good." Her response: "Really!? Okay???? I don't even want to know about the chaffing." LOL.  It had two jars of lotion, 2 big tubs of actual Vaseline and the Vaseline lip butter that works awesome for preventing chapped lips in Winter.
 
My FIL told me about putting it on your skin when the temps are frigid and it really works! A bonus is to get the scented kind. :)  When the piercing wind was blowing in my face today, at least it smelled great!
 
There was a crazy insane head wind at certain points of the run today. That, along with my bazillion layers of clothing, made me feel like the Michelin man when I was running. :D
 
Yes, I had to 'pick' ice chunks from my head in the area where my toque was attached to my hair.  Fun times. Side note: this North Face toque is 4+ years old and keeps my head warmer than any other toque I've ever tried. Get one! 
 
I'm pretty sure after running a hilly chilly 9 miles (which is actually 14.4km....not 14, lol) my face was frozen as seen below for a good 7 minutes, LOL.
 
The Run
9 miles
1 hr 15 min
8:24 avg. pace/mile

 
I am trying to be more diligent with my protein intake so I made a cranberry, orange and banana smoothie when I got home. Even though I felt like Frosty the Snowman.  I chased it down, so to speak, with a steaming hot Just Us coffee. I figured if I drank it in my Miami mug I'd feel warmer. It didn't work. 

If you need me for the other 364 days of this  year, you can find me in these pants. I LOVE them! They're the studio pant from Lulu and are by far the most comfy pair of pants ever made in the history of the world. I want them in as many different colours as I can get!

I hope you've had a RUNderful first day of 2014 and thanks for checking in on GGR.

Happy Running,
Heather :)




14 comments:

  1. I put Vaseline on as well this afternoon. I wasn't sure how thick I was supposed to put it on. Girl...your arms look amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the arm compliment! I've made a few changes, which as you know is where you see progress ;)

      If you have a good layer you should be fine. Watch your nice clothes though. My yellow tank at the Valley has a stain from when I put it on. :S

      Delete
  2. I remembered you telling me the Vaseline trick when I was about 1/4 of the way into my run this morning. LOL oops. Next time!

    Is that Smiley Miles thing a gadget of some kind? or do you update it each day? I'd like something to log my kms on my blog...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha.....remember it next time :)

      Definitely keep track of your kms! You wouldn't believe how motivating it was for me this year and now I have a grand total for the entire year, which is pretty cool.

      Smiley Miles is a text gadget via blogger I've added. I update it after every run. The Daily Mile is an app on the iphone where I input my run and time every day. Then it adds it up for me. :) Daily Mile is new to me and I think I'm removing the Smiley Miles.

      Delete
  3. My husband and I had to set our alarm to wake up at 11:55 and catch the countdown ... how lame are we!? I had a similarly cold run today, but it was 8 hill repeats so I warmed up pretty quickly :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of doing Hill Repeats today! And quickly decided against it when I thought of the extra effort I'd have to expend...lol.

      Happy New Year!

      Delete
  4. Haha, I wanted to be in bed by 12:05 but I was kind of forced to stay out until 2. It was fun, but I have never felt older in my life! I am going to have to get scented Vaseline. I use the lip balm because you recommended it and LOVE it! You know your Vaseline! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any time I stay up past 11:30 I feel like such a risk taker, lol.

      I'm so glad you like the Vaseline! I'll keep my eyes peeled for new scents! ;)

      Delete
  5. Rocking arms in your dress lady! I had no idea that you can use Vaseline for that on your face. Will keep that tidbit in the back of my mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leigh! I workout with weights once a week but Mother Nature has been pounding us with snow, which obviously has to be shovelled....lol. That's been my training.

      Try the Vaseline on your next cold run....it really works :)

      Delete
  6. What a great way to start the year! I am fighting off this darn cold still and trying to figure out what's up with my knee popping when I straighten it...yikes! Hopefully I'll get out there this weekend! :D Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, it seems like everyone I know who has a cold can't seem to shake it. :( I drink honey and lemon hot water when I get a cold. Keep us updated in your knee!

      Delete
  7. It was so hard for me to stay up until 12. I am such a grandma. You are such a rockstar for running in negative degree temps! I become a baby if it drops below 40 and go on the treadmill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, I'm a Grandma too, lol.

      I really should have run on the TM today, but my car was at the mechanic so I had no way to get to the gym! :( It was cold!

      Delete