Sunday, 5 January 2014

Sunday Run, Lunch, Shake & Tacos!

Well it's been a RUNderful Christmas Holiday for this GGR and it's back to work tomorrow. I have tried very hard to post as frequently as possible on my break and I hope you've enjoyed my posts. :) I have been really happy discovering new Running/Fitness blogs and catching up on reading some of my frequent sites. I think I could use a few more days of break, you know, just to make sure I'm well rested. ;)

Today started out later than normal since I decided to sleep late and enjoy the last day before work resumes. I still made my oatmeal with berries and coffee before I headed out to run. My oats are not mixed with water here obviously....lol....but don't those berries look yummy?!


Yes, we have now started this.......................  can you guess what's in 106 days???

Okay, back to today's run. My schedule gave me a 10 miler today.  Can you believe this was the last run for week 3/18 today?!  After yesterday's 6 mile snow run with yaks on, my legs were kind of sore today....mostly my quads. Therefore, I took the pace easy. 

The temperature was super warm this morning....well 'warm' for us Canadians in January after just leaving a cold snap where the mercury dropped to -29!!!! My street was still snow covered so I thought I'd need my foot grippers again today. Wrong. I ran literally 1/4 of a mile when I thought...."bad idea" since I could see that my street was basically the only one with snow on it. This was good since I'd have a better run and bad since I was wearing spikes that I didn't want to snap off. So, I looped around and ditched the yaks in my car ....where I hit pause on my Garmin.
After I resumed running I noticed that when I passed a mile marker where my Garmin should have 'beeped' at me, it didn't. I forgot to hit start again. :( I knew I had covered 1/2 a mile so that was okay, calculations wise.  My anal tendencies decided that there was no way I was stopping my run at 9.5 miles. I would indeed run until the Garmin struck 10.00. And I did. :) 

I ran in a my usual neighbourhood loop for the first 5 miles and then along the main road for the remainder. My last two miles were the fastest. I love when that happens. :) Then, my legs were toast!

The Run
10.5 miles in total
1hr 28 min
8:22 avg. pace/mile



I quickly showered and headed to our favourite diner to Meet Matt for lunch.
 I was very Rungry!

When I got home after running a bazillion errands and de-Christmasizing the house, I realized that I didn't make a protein shake post-run. :0  So, as I did dinner prep I double fisted with hydration: Water and Shake!
 This shake has:
  • banana, ice, orange, cranberries, spinach, chia seeds, protein powder and Silk Vanilla Almond milk. :D
I was prepping........Tacos! After reading Emmeline's post yesterday I had a massive craving for tacos. mmm.

I will leave  you with a profound thought provoking question (My high school Literature teacher used to use that phrase, lol):

Race PR's, do they expire? Matt and I had this conversation over lunch today and we had some different opinions on it than a friend of ours. For example: How long can you say "I'm a 3 hr marathoner,"???? (Clearly just an example...lol).  I'd love to hear your thoughts. :) *edited to add example

Thanks again for stopping by GGR. Have a wonderful evening!

Happy Running,
Heather :)

14 comments:

  1. Yum, your tacos look good ( as does your club sandwich). I think i'm hungry!
    If I am understanding your question right, I think once a PR, always a PR! Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I agree. PRs have no expiration :)

      Delete
  2. I don't think a PR ever goes away. You can always say you're a 3-hour marathoner if you ran a 3-hour marathon! :-D Your runs always impress me. I would have done exactly the same thing with my watch. I have anal tendencies also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much :) I think being anal with numbers is a Runner thing ;)

      Delete
  3. RUNGRY!!! I love it!!! PRs... I am not sure when they expire! I don't think they *ever* expire but there is a point where you're going to have to add the tagline, "But that was 20 years ago." !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the idea of 'tagline' to refer to PRs from 'a while ago.' :)

      Delete
  4. TACOS! Yay! They look so yummy :) Actually, so does your shake and now I want one. I have that issue with my PRs where my 10k PR was 4.5 years ago and I feel like I can't claim it because I'm not nearly that fast right now (though I'm working on it!). Usually I give an approximation or tell someone it's really old so I don't feel self-conscious but I'm not as anal about my other PRs (probably because they're not as fast haha).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were very tasty! Thanks for the idea :) I think PRs are forever and I do like the idea of mentioning that it was from 'X number of years ago.' :)

      Delete
  5. It was a great day for a run yesterday...I'm just sorry that the group went earlier and didn't get to enjoy the warmer temps like the afternoon gave us.

    Oh yum...tacos and the Esquire in the same weekend....lucky you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The temps were awesome yesterday!

      It was a celebratory weekend :)

      Delete
  6. Yay for running!!!!
    I don't think PRs expire. It is something you did at that time and that is something to always be proud of!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree....PRs are like a badge of honour to 'wear' proudly :)

      Delete
  7. Do you taste the spinach at all in the smoothie? I'm always so scared to add it...

    I go back to work Tuesday and the kids come back Wednesday. I have an easy week planned (stupid standardized testing, actually, which kills me because I want to start my favorite unit this week) but I know I won't be able to post as many blog entries or find new blogs this week. Too busy! It's been nice to have some downtime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not taste the spinach or Kale. The key is to add something with a bold taste to 'mask' it. I use Raspberries, Oranges, Cranberries and/or pineapples. I like to add some peanut butter/almond butter if I'm just using pineapple with the spinach and banana. It tastes great!

      Wouldn't it be lovely if we could just blog, run and get paid :D haha

      Delete