Saturday, 4 January 2014

Shovelling & a Snowy Six

The next time you see me in person you will be stunned........at my bulging biceps I've obtained from the insane amount of Shovelling us East Coasters have had to do! ;)  Totally kidding of course!

After digging out for a zillion hours yesterday I had worked up quite a sweat. I was about to go shower when I remembered that Hillary had posted a review on a bath salt she'd tried. Then I remembered my Candy Cane scented Epsom Salts I got for Christmas. :D 

I was in dire need of an Epsom Salt bath to help release the toxins from my legs. It always feels like preparing a 'bath' is such an effort to me, when in reality it is so not!

If you do not have Epsom Salt baths, you need to start. :)  You can pick up the ginormous container as seen on the right at Costco for a very decent price. And we all like to hear that. Be sure to keep a nice tall glass of water nearby, or in my case a tall glass of water and a candy cane hot chocolate that Matt delivered to me.....lol.

This photo doesn't do near justice to the actual amount of snow that was in the driveway, but I was too cold to go out and take more pics. The entire driveway was a giant snow drift! :S

Then the Snow Plough came. 

This was awesome because I was waiting patiently all day for the streets to get cleared for my run and this was annoying because all the side snow again came barrelling into our driveway, {insert whiny music tune here}.  Well I got another awesome workout again today. Matt was secretly upset because we both like shovelling and I did it before he got home!

I walked a mile early in the afternoon and tested out the streets and sidewalks. Isn't it crazy when you feel that it has warmed up when the windchill is only -16?! I made the decision during my walk to wear my Yak Trax to gain footing on my run. There were a few slippery sections since the snow was so tightly packed.  The sidewalks were done but the footing was a bit tricky.

After my walk I had a steaming hot cup of Pina Colada tea! Yes, they DO make that flavour. :0 
 
I ran in a nearby neighbourhood and did loops. It wasn't boring at all. I was just happy that after yesterdays huge Blizzard I could get out and log some miles.
 
The Run
6 miles
48:51 minutes
8:08 avg. pace/mile
In the bottom right square this was the 'best' section of sidewalk I encountered on my walk. I could have ran in normal footwear if the entire area was like this.....but alas, it was not. :(

For some strange reason I thought you'd like to see a shot of the footprint the Yak Trax leave in the snow. :) Sometimes I wonder where I come up with these things.

Post run and post super duper hot long steamy shower, I made a protein smoothie and once again followed it with a nice hot coffee.......mmm.

I am so glad you stopped by today!

Did you have to do some big time shovelling this weekend?
Do you take Epsom Salt baths?
Have you tried Yak Tracks?
 

Happy Running,
Heather :)

16 comments:

  1. No shoveling snow for this West Coast girl. I did, however, spend three hours cleaning out the boyfriend's room at his mom's house. She's been asking him to do it for years and finally we did it. Probably not nearly as hard (or as cold) as shoveling snow, but I am definitely exhausted. I cannot believe you get out and run in that! You're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in total weather envy, lol.

      I always say that cleaning should be considered a workout....especially mopping!

      LOL.....I wouldn't say amazing. I would just say that if I don't run, I turn a little crazy. JK ;)

      Delete
  2. We had about 4 inches of snow. I am taking a small break from running right now so I didn't have to run in it. But normally I do the same thing you do- find a neighborhood that is actually plowed well and run loops around there! And as for shoveling... we have not shoveled yet this year. Our neighbors always do it before we get the chance! It's really nice of them but I feel guilty. I totally plan on shoveling, but not until like 11am or noon once I'm wide awake and ready to face the cold... they just do it before I get to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have awesome neighbours! We usually don't get blasted this hard so I don't know what's going on this year. :S I think I need to purchase a TM, lol.

      Delete
  3. We got plenty of snow in Massachusetts, but my wonderful husband shoveled for me (while I tried to work from home). After he finished shoveling, I had to head into the office, only to find out that the heat had gone out overnight and it was 39 degrees in there! It was a pretty stressful day, so I wish I had some Epsom Salts (and piña colada tea!) to take a bath with. Luckily, I get to run on the treadmill at home on days like these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband actually shovelled before he left as well. Then we got coated in snow again! :S This is the most snow we've had in a very long time.

      I need to get a TM! and you need to get some of that tea :D

      Delete
  4. I've been taking more baths lately...nothing beats lighting a few candles, using yummy smelling bath stuff and reading a book for a while. Quite relaxing! I also love shoveling...not sure why!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is relaxing! Why do I always skimp and take a shower?! lol.

      It's funny because Matt shovelled the driveway before going to work but by the time I was up and on the go it was totally covered in snow again!

      Delete
  5. No snow here, just endless rain and really high wind speeds. Never done an Epsom bath but I plan to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Running in the wind sucks......I try to look at it as great resistance training ;)

      Yes, for sure try an Epsom salt bath! :)

      Delete
  6. I saw you running by after you passed my house so I had to break it to Sadie that she missed you:P God job for getting out there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heidi, I saw Sadie on my third loop around! :D I waved in case you were in the background....lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You rock girl! I am a little scared to run in the snow right now. Our neighborhood is still very icy from the previous storm. But instead of making excuses for not running I worked out in the second bedroom today! SCORE!
    PS~I secretly like to shovel too....don't tell my husband ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome job on the workout! I really want to transform our second bedroom into a mini-gym....maybe in time for next winter!

      LOL ....your secret's safe with me ;)

      Shovelling feels a little like 'cleaning up' to me. And I love to have a clean house...I'm somewhat of a weirdo! lol.

      Delete
  9. I wish I had a bathtub so I could do an Epsom salt bath. My legs NEED it. They nearly buckled today after all the squats I did, and I know a bath would help.

    I'm kind of wishing for your weather right now. Florida-girl-problem: I overslept and now it's too hot for my long run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the BEST idea: You can get a Kiddie pool! I've seen people do that for ice baths, why not Epsom Salt baths!? :D

      Oh girl, I'll send you a pic of the slushy freezing puddles I hurdled over and splashed into later. Enjoy Florida right now ;)

      Delete