Wednesday, 29 January 2014

Physio, Runs & Yoga

So far this week I have asked myself a couple of times (and it's only Wednesday), "Is this a test?" I am referring to a test of inner strength and not the physical or enduring kind involved in marathon training.

On Monday, when I plotted out my work calendar for the week, it was completely jam packed with meetings, planning and an evaluation.  I was getting overwhelmed thinking about it all and the fact that I was beginning my Boston Bound program this very same week! Not to mention that I had finally scheduled a Physio appointment for Monday evening to get some information on my bummed knee from the door bashing. :S My head was sort of spinning. But I made it through the day......and it didn't eat me alive. ;)
Physio
As you recall, I briefly mentioned some lingering pressure....not quite pain, just pressure, from my knee banging into the door. I could run my butt off and it didn't affect anything, but at night when I'd bend my knee I could definitely 'feel' that something wasn't right. I cried as I chopped vegetables on Sunday evening thinking of how 'this could be it for my running.' Matt came quickly to reassure me that it would 'be alright and I'd be training no problem for Boston.' You know how you just need to hear those words sometimes. This was one of those times.

My PT listened attentively to my million miles a minute ramblings of how it's not even a running injury, and I am starting my intense Boston schedule TODAY and I can't miss any runs, and how knee injuries seem to always end running careers, and how I am always so careful and all my friends demand to know why 'I' NEVER get injured (which totally isn't true)! " He grinned at my caffeine influenced comments and did some poking and probing. I can't be specific about what he was doing because I sat with my hands over my face the entire assessment in hopes that covering my eyes would soften the blow of hearing something "BAD." After I gave him all of my 'Self diagnoses' courtesy of Google, he gave me piece of advice #1 ever so sternly: "STOP GOOGLING!"  and then he said, "Stop worrying you'll be fine and you CAN run." :D
It's a deep bone bruise that will heal. They do take some time and I am being treated this week.

I was so happy when I left my PT's office on Monday evening. I came home and was super psyched to do my first run of the 12 week program. Training Peaks doesn't mess around! Promptly on Monday morning there was an email waiting for me in my inbox reminding me of my 3 mile pace run @ 8min/miles. My first mile was super fast, as a result of my good news....lol. Then I calmed down and tried to run more conservatively. It was a great run. :D 
Tuesday
I was the first patient to arrive at Physio on Tuesday Morning (7:05 for a 7:30 appointment). Can  you tell I'm eager to treat this knee?! LOL.

At Yoga on Tuesday our teacher revolved the practice around inner strength and it really made me aware of just how strong I can be/am. And how being more aware reminds us of the strength that we do possess. When things get tough and we are wondering if this is a test or we want to give up, we have to remember to dig into our pool of strength to overcome it. Oh yeah, and to Breathe.


Once Yoga was over and errands were run, it was time to run workout #2 from Training Peaks: HILLS! 

The route I ran was actually already somewhat 'hilly.' I had my sights set on one 650m beast for my uphill repeats though. It was the kind of hill that gives you the belly burn once you're 3/4 of the way up it. I only did one downhill repeat at pace....the others were recovery jogs, since I had to get back down to the bottom, lol. The fast downhills are not as easy as they sound! But I still finished smiling!

Wednesday
It was another snowstorm in Nova Scotia today. No, I did not get a snow day...lol, but the busses were cancelled. I was sort of worried about the long commute in less than ideal conditions, plus the fact that I had my teacher evaluation today and TWO after school meetings! :0  I just told myself that I can get through this day and everything will work out. I had also decided that no matter how the day went, work or weather wise, I would get my run in.  That's determination stubbornness for you! ;)

Here's a view of the street conditions for my run. Yep....totally snow covered and footing felt similar to running on beach sand, minus the palm trees and warm sun, lol.

I logged a slower snowy 3.25 miles at 8:17 avg. pace/mile. It was super difficult to hit targeted pace, but my program explains that for Northern runners, we have to accommodate our training to conditions and to go by effort when traction is not so perfect. A solid push-off this evening did not exist....lol.

A hearty snow run deserves some hearty tacos as a post-run dinner I believe! :)

I hope your week has been off to a great start and remember to dig deep when things get crazy. ;) Thanks again for stopping by GGR!

Happy Running,
Heather :)

25 comments:

  1. So glad to hear that everything will be okay with your knee! And yuck to another snow storm...spring is coming soon right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leigh! Bring on Spring already :D

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad it's "just a deep bone injury" lol. I know you were worried that it might be your IT band, so a deep bone injury is much better than that!
    P.S. Either we all read the same blogs or everyone is just coincidentally eating tacos this week (which to me is like, the Mexican form of pizza). Nom, nom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know. I'll take a bone bruise any day over an ITB injury. I think I subconsciously craved tacos after seeing them on the blogs. ;)

      Delete
  3. Yay! So excited that your knee will heal and that Boston is on!!! I cannot wait to live vicariously through you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have a feeling you will be at Boston some day too with your speedy shoes! ;)

      Delete
  4. So glad your knee is okay!! I love that your training plan is so specific to prepping for Boston, I have a feeling you're going to do great things in April!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emmeline! There's nothing more scary in Running than thinking, and then hearing, that you have an injury. :S I'm glad it's able to heal and that I can RUN! :D

      Delete
  5. Hey there! Happy your knee is on the mend! I am so tired of the snow. I'm starting my program shortly too and there's fast paces involved but this ice & snow makes it near impossible to hit. Oh well :) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Crystal! Yeah, I'm totally ready for the snow to hit the road. :S Come on Spring!

      Delete
  6. I'm also dealing with some anxiety due to a nagging pain that won't go away, and I'm wondering how it will affect my running longer term. I have confidence yours will go away soon because you're a smart athlete. And thank God for physiotherapists!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you are so right. Thank goodness for PT's!!! I hope you nagging pain levels off and doesn't cause you any grief. Definitely keep an eye on it, especially with your marathon training. :)

      Delete
  7. Yay I am so relieved for you! No, not ideal, but not the worst thing ever ! You are gonna be fine and flying at Boston. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Megan! I really hope to be flying @ Boston ;) Maybe give the Kenyans a run for their money, haha!

      Delete
  8. See....Matt and I were right....you are good to go and train for Boston just as planned! YAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. After working myself so hard before Christmas I'm constantly scared I'm going to injure myself again. This morning my chest felt odd and occasionally my sternum will make a 'popping' noise and then it'll ache for the rest of the day which I find pretty disconcerting!

    I'm so excited for you and doing Boston! London is my absolute dream as I live by the start line :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Daisy,
      I hope you get good results with your sternum. Injuries are nothing to mess with. The London marathon would be so cool. You should definitely do it someday. :)

      Delete
  10. I loved this post! I'm glad to hear that you only have a bruise...thank goodness! I love that you have a specific training plan for Boston! I also LOVE that it said "you will not succeed unless you run hills!" I LOVE running hills!! Runner's World is doing a 1/2 in Boston in June and Heartbreak Hill is part of it! I think I am going to partake! How cool would it be to run a 1/2 in Boston? So cool!!!!!
    Okay...really I loved this post. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I also love it's comment about 'hills.' I can attest that it is true! Those hills ate me alive last year at Boston. I'm hoping this year to be ready for them. ;) The Heartbreak 1/2 sounds so awesome. I wish I lived nearby and could do it.

      Delete
  11. I just found your blog (thanks to Rachel from Life or Something Like It); I'm glad I did! Your training week looks great -- nice job hitting that snowy run! You've inspired me to suck it up and get out there today...in a couple of hours, when the sun will at least be out (I hope)! I look forward to following your training!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Cassie! I'll have to stop by your page as well :) I love finding new bloggers! I dream of the days when we had sun on the run...lol.

      Delete
  12. I'm glad it's just a deep bone bruise! How does someone get that?! I think I had one on my foot from my shoes once, but the leg seems a random place to get one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's weirdly under my knee cap. :S I bashed my knee against my steel door one morning in an attempt to swiftly put the trash out in my pajamas and bango!

      Delete
  13. You’re one tough woman! Despite your knee condition, you are still active and ready to conquer the world! That’s the spirit one should have at all times. I hope you’re feeling better after your appointments with your physio. Stay strong!

    Vanessa Adams @ Chiropractic Wellness and Rehabilitation

    ReplyDelete