Thursday, 2 January 2014

My Coldest Run this Winter!

In case you are feeling the pressures of all the 'Resolutions' in the air, I thought you could use a little giggle. ;)


Today is cold. Like seriously cold here in Nova Scotia.  Here's what I heard the radio announcer say as I rolled over in bed this morning: "Good morning. It looks like we're in the middle of a deep freeze here in Nova Scotia...." Every thing else sounded like 'blah blah blah,' as I immediately tried to figure out how he put 'Good' in the same sentence as 'deep freeze' that didn't involve ice-cream cake!?!?! 
 
It was so cold, we resorted to this.............
 Yep, Lola was not too impressed by the dreaded red jacket. I think she feels the same way I do about animals wearing clothes. ;)

She decided she'd forgive me after a lengthy belly rub. <3

I know that Thanksgiving has come and gone, but today I am thankful for 'Short Run Day.' Boy oh boy! My nose literally stuck together before I was 1/2 a mile into my run. :0  I honestly considered turning around and going home to hit the TM at the gym when the piercing headwind blew into my face. Then I remembered that my car was getting repaired.....no gym. :( 
 
A lot of mental coaching and self-talk got me through the first mile. After mile 1 was over I hit up the side streets where there wasn't as much of a breeze. It felt much better. By then there was already ice forming on my top lip and around my neck Buff!!! 
When I reviewed my laps post-run I was stunned to see a sub 8 min/mile avg. pace! :0  It gives me hope to see progress on runs when I am not wearing a gazillion layers of clothing, {raised eyebrow}.
 
The Run
4.06 miles
32 min
7:55 avg. pace/mile 
 
Yes, I had a protein shake when I finally emerged from the world's longest shower.....lol. It made my hands freeze but tasted so lovely. :) 
 
When I was downstairs getting ready post-shower, I turned to my favourite app, Songza, where I planned on listening to my 'Holiday Tunes' playlist.  "Uh oh! Where's my little green Christmas tree?!" :(  Yes I'm one of those people who listens to Christmas music for the entire 12 days of Christmas....lol. Looks like they got rid of it until next year. {sigh}
 

As I was about to pout about it I received an e-mail............like literally at that very moment!

 Ooh chickie cha! It's now official and my name is on the 2014 Entry List!!!!! FINALLY :D

Last night's dinner: I went a little veggie/seafood crazy....lol. I really wanted Kale Chips so I made a batch to go along with all the other veggies I roasted to go along with our Salmon. Then I really wanted Shrimp.....sooooo, we also had large shrimp to dip in seafood sauce. There was also some brown rice to go along with it all.  :D



Apparently a ginormous blizzard is headed our way tonight.....what a glorious waste of a Snow day. Didn't anyone e-mail Mother Nature to tell her school resumes on MONDAY?! 

What do you do to stay warm on super chilly days?
Do you use Songza?
Seafood: a fan or no?

I always love when you visit GGR. :) Have a beautiful afternoon.

Happy Running,
Heather :) 

17 comments:

  1. I just finished a 10 mile run literally right before the snow started to fall here! I wasn't cold on my run, but silly me stood outside and talked to my neighbor for 10 minutes ( which made me cold). I immediately went inside and headed for the shower. Even though I had the water set to the hottest setting, I really couldn't tell if the water was hot or cold cus my body was so numb! I should complain though because our weather is no where near -19!

    Congrats on the Boston news! That is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so envious of your 10 miler! I've often chatted with neighbours and suddenly realized how cold I was doing it...lol.

      Thanks for the congrats :)

      Delete
  2. I can't get over how cold it is there! I feel the same about dogs in clothes but my younger pup has really thin fur and shakes like crazy in anything under 20 Fahrenheit so we sadly had to get her a sweater for the really cold days.

    Congrats on Boston, so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emmeline!
      I say the pet comment jokingly.....lol. I realize it's necessary to keep them warm, like today for instance....brr! Lola hates getting dressed up and it's a chore to catch her and get her coat on her as she tends to run and hide! :)

      Delete
  3. I wanted to run today... but it's -25, with a windchill of -34. I didn't even want to go to the bus stop! You are SUPER dedicated to run today! I maybe would have run in the temps you have, but not in this!
    School started for Little Fox today, and because of our wind chill, they didn't let them play outside, thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it was super cold! -29 might have to be where I draw the line after today's run. The wind actually felt like it was cutting my skin at one point....bRRR!

      Little fox is in school already? We go back on Monday and I am sooooo not ready! LOL

      Delete
  4. Wow girl, way to go on that ridiculously cold run! Sounds terrible :D Fortunately where I live, we never get cold days like that. However, tomorrow the high is in the low 30s (F) with a crazy wind chill, so it's gonna be definitely be out of my comfort zone. I stay warm on my runs with my white pullover (can't remember the brand) and I'm sure to wear my fleece headband (I LOVE that thing). I've never used Songza, but I am definitely going to check it out now! As for seafood, I live on the coast, literally right next to the beach so liking seafood is a prerequisite I guess, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hillary! It was super duper frigid today....BRR! I am totally envious of your temperatures right now, even though I complain when I'm hot in the Summer, lol.

      Ha....I'm from a fishing town in Newfoundland as well so I understand the Coast living thing. Nova Scotia, where I'm currently living, is also well known for Seafood.

      Delete
    2. I can never make up my mind about how I want the weather...I complain when it's too hot and when it's too cold...ha!

      Delete
  5. That is seriously hardcore to run in that kind of freezing temperature! I think the fast pace was in part due to desperation to get it over with! I can't imagine running in cold weather that could freeze my nose shut haha!

    Seriously, great work sticking it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ali! I'm serious though, if I had access to my car it may very well have been a TM day!

      I agree Ali: Brisk Temperatures = Brisk strides. ;)

      Delete
  6. You are CRAZY!!! That is all.

    (but seriously, good for you getting out there in this miserably cold weather!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL.....thanks Janet! ;)

      I honestly did want to do the TM today....but no transportation. :S

      Delete
  7. Wow! You really are super woman! I can't imagine even stepping outside in negative temperatures, let alone running in it. It was 57 degrees and sunny today on my run. I ran in a tank top and capris. I will never again complain about it being cold. Good job!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, certainly not super woman, but thank you! ;) It was unbearably cold and I probably wouldn't choose to run in that temp again. I long for the days of capri running! lol.

      Delete
  8. Look at that pup! So cute!!! My ears are always the first to freeZe off! Neeeeeeed warm weather!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Lola certainly thinks she's cute, lol.

      My face and neck always are the things that freeze first on me. I have a mask, but I feel like a 'bank robber' when I wear it! LOL

      Delete