Thursday, 23 January 2014

Mid Week Snow Day, Soup & Run

I'm recommending that every week have a Snow day on Wednesdays. :) I really LOVE how tomorrow is Friday and the week was broken into manageable chunks.

Remember how I smashed my knee into my door while putting out the trash last Friday? Well, about that. It's still kind of sore so Lola thought she'd help me ice it......and then steal my ice cube as a refreshing snack under the coffee table. Trickster she is.


Aaaaand, Wednesday brought wonderful news of great joy!
This picture is of super low quality because the whirling snow drifts were making it impossible for my phone to focus, lol. So I apologize. It got real bad after I took this picture and I truly was hoping the power would not go out! It didn't. :)
 
I've been adding more nuts to my diet this past little while and was getting kind of tired of almonds. Pistachios were a nice way to mix it up. 

 Lola and I decided to pump some iron to pass the time. Most of Lola's happened in her head. While she slept. Right by my feet. After every set I was super careful lowering my weights to the floor so I didn't clunk her with one of the 10lb 'ers! She stayed there for a super long time while I worked out.
I worked my core. And I mean literally crunched until I couldn't crunch anymore. There's a sequence of 8 different ab workouts that Matt taught me way back when we were dating.......lol. One of our dates was a gym workout! Talk about being brave and letting him see me sweaty and without makeup!!!

The benefits of adding strength to my marathon training resonates with me. Although I do not always have the motivation to do it. I'd much rather log an extra mile than pick up a dumbbell. True story. I had absolutely no excuse on Wednesday since I couldn't see down my street.

I worked my shoulders, triceps, biceps, back and chest. I also did some squats and am super sore today. No worries....it's the good kind of sore.

There was also some soup made on my Snow Day. :)  It felt like the perfect day to make a nice warm tasty soup. I really enjoy this one:

It's super easy. All I do is add the pureed mixture to some chicken broth on the stove and simmer until it's the right consistency for you. Give it a go and enjoy!
 
For dinner, I had a craving for tortellini & pesto. mmm. This has to be one of my favourite things to eat! It was a really nice pairing with my soup. :)
 
Of course there was also some hot chocolate on the go during my blizzard. :D It went very well with the blog reading and movie watching I was doing.
Thursday
After the whole city was dug out, I had to return to work. Several schools remained closed for the day. But not mine. :(
 
To comfort myself on the drive to work, I met up with a nice 'Tall Blonde' For Breakfast. ;)  This just so happens to be my favourite coffee blend from Starbucks.
 
Yesterday's storm sure was nasty. The roads were cleared today along with the sidewalks, but frigid temperatures proved to be a beast on my run tonight when paired with the snow coverage that remained. The ploughs had tightly pressed the snow down onto the pavement/sidewalks and that coupled with the freezing windchill made for some tricky footing on sections of my run. Therefore, the pace was conservative. 
This weekend Lola will be heading to the groomer for a much needed haircut. I can't wait to actually see her eyes! Along with that I plan on not doing a whole lot else....lol. Livin' on the wild side. My long run is also not that long this week since it scaled down the mileage. It does that every third week to let your body recover right. Then Monday begins my Boston Bound schedule on Training Peaks! I'm praying for a healthy body by then so that I can train properly. ((fingers crossed))
 
I love when you come visit me! Have a beautiful day :)
 
Favourite Starbucks drink: GO!
Any soup recipes to share with me?
Did you get a blast of Winter this week?
 
Happy Running,
Heather

24 comments:

  1. Favorite Starbucks drink: White Chocolate Raspberry latte (a guilt-free beverage reserved for long days); I have an AWESOME Gouda soup recipe that is not very heart healthy; got a little snow on Tuesday night, but not enough for school (or work) to be cancelled. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried that one! :0 Sounds super awesome!

      Delete
  2. YAY for snow days when you don't have to go to work! I use to love them, but I hated making them up over vacations!

    My dog Loves ice cubes too. She runs out to the kitchen as soon as she hears the ice maker!
    I don't go to Starbucks because I don't drink coffee but I have bought vanilla frappes before at the store and enjoy those.
    We did get some snow but nothing like your Blizzard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like, I can send you some of our blizzard?? ;) LOL

      I've never had a frappe.....it sounds like it might be something delicious!

      Delete
  3. YAY for snow days when you don't have to go to work! I use to love them, but I hated making them up over vacations!

    My dog Loves ice cubes too. She runs out to the kitchen as soon as she hears the ice maker!
    I don't go to Starbucks because I don't drink coffee but I have bought vanilla frappes before at the store and enjoy those.
    We did get some snow but nothing like your Blizzard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tortellini and pesto is one of my favorites! My husband loves it with halved cherry tomatoes and chopped salami or prosciutto in it which I made him when we were first dating a million years ago.

    I'm so boring at Starbucks, just a flavored latte :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like it would taste very good all mixed together....I just may have to try it. Yeah, I 'm usually a skinny vanilla latte kind of girl too. But for coffee....tall blonde does the trick :)

      Delete
  5. Lola certainly adds to your workouts!!! I'm not a coffee drinker so my favorite Starbucks drink is their smoothie. LOL

    It took me over an hour last night just to clear the end of my driveway and one of the snow drifts. My back deck still isn't clear...just a small path for Indy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do have great smoothies. I had many of them when we visited Miami! I'm telling you, all of this snow clearing will whip us into great shape! ;)

      Delete
  6. I am not a fun starbucks orderer.. I get a vanilla roobios tea or iced coffee unsweetened and nothing added but a little cinnamon on top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've enjoyed their vanilla rooibos before. I think I should order that one more often :)

      Delete
  7. What a productive snow day! Gosh your soup looks good! I make a lot of my soups in my Vitamix now. I like to make taco soup (sans the beef) and tofu/ginger soup. Tasty! I don't go to Starbucks. I am more of a black coffee type of gal. I love pistachios too! I like cashews but they don't stay in my house very long ... one handful here, one handful there. Suddenly there's none left for cooking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL....it's easy to be that productive when you can't leave the house! I like cashews too.....Usually I add them to stir fry. :)

      Delete
  8. Thankfully we did not get snow this week! The temps are freezing though. I don't even want to leave my house!!!
    Looks like you had a great snow day!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Goodness! I cannot even fathom walking out of my house in negative temps, let alone RUNNING in them. You are so amazing. I always think it would be fun to order coffee, but then I realize that I'm super boring and just get plain old coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL......you'd do it if it was your only option. ;) You do get very used to it as well. I don't understand how people can run in insane heat! :0

      Delete
  10. We did have a blast of snow! Tuesday was a snow day, which I thoroughly enjoyed!! I love the pics of your little Lola :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks....she loves being the blog star! I LOVE snow days sooooo much :D

      Delete
  11. What type of Garmin do you have? I am in the market for a new one. Mine is the more simple version and the battery won't last long enough for a slowpoke like me to do a full marathon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Garmin is the 110. It lasts for a full marathon and then some!

      Delete
  12. I had Monday off for MLK day, and yet this week seemed SO LONG. I could've used a snow day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why does that happen? Those four day weeks feel longer than five sometimes....lol.

      Delete
  13. Trying to find the Ultimate Dating Site? Create an account to find your perfect match.

    ReplyDelete