Sunday, 12 January 2014

Long Run, Froyo & 4/18!


I was strangely eager for today's long run. I'm pretty sure it was because the schedule 'actually' had 13 miles planned and not '10 or 11' with me doing '13 just because.' I love seeing my weekly long runs creep up in mileage and get far too excited about it.

Of course it started with the usual long run prep: Write message on white board, fill fuel bottles, stash chews/gels in my fuel belt, breakfast of champs and snap pics of my new Smart Wool socks. :) Note to self: remember to fill fuel bottles next Saturday evening and NOT Sunday morning. Mixing nuun water and opening those tricky Gatorade bottles are a nuisance and takes me far tooooo long to do it...lol.

I wore capris today!!!  It was 9 degrees Celsius when I left my house. :0  What is up with this weather???

Today I ran along the main road in the opposite direction of yesterday's run. I ventured in the same subdivision that I once got lost in during a 20 miler....lol. I have zero sense of direction. True.

At about 5.5 miles I felt hungry, which is actually my body's way of telling me to drink up. I really enjoyed my Grape nuun water on the run...mmm.

I thought I'd take a few Honey Stinger chews at 9 miles and as I was gulping them down I ran into Courteney! We ran together for almost 2 miles and chatted. I tried to convince her to go further with me, but I was unsuccessful...lol. I'm totally a solo runner, but it's surprising to me how much I love chatting the miles away with someone on a long run.
 
The Run
13.6 miles
1hr 51min
8:11 avg. pace/mile

After I was all showered up I headed over to Cherry Berry for a frozen yogurt date with Matt. What a great long-run-reward!
 
Cherry Berry left my paws cold but don't worry, it was nothing a nice Vanilla latte couldn't fix. ;)
 
Week 4/18 of my Boston Marathon training plan is complete. :D For some reason Daily Mile has rounded up my 13.6 miler to 14....just so you know.
 
 
I'm currently blogging, drinking a protein shake, doing dinner prep and smelling the awesomeness of meatballs in the oven. :D Gotta replenish those glycogen stores with a lovely pasta dinner you know. ;)


Thanks for spending some of your Sunday with GGR. :)

Happy Running,
Heather :)


23 comments:

  1. Kudos to you Heather! Its amazing how motivated you are, it reminds me of how I was two years ago when training for my second marathon, love that feeling. Hoping to get it back this year. Good luck on week 5 of your training.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Enrique! I become highly motivated when I have a goal race in mind. For me, having a race calendar is key ;)

      Delete
  2. I just love a perfect long run! I always prep my stuff the night before because otherwise I KNOW I'll forget things haha. Great run, girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This weekend I'm definitely prepping the night before. I'm always less rushed the next day when I do this, I just didn't make the time this weekend, no excuse. ;)

      Delete
  3. I absolutely love your blog!! I am a beginner runner and your post really help me get up and get moving! Thanks for your awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cara! Thanks so much :) I hope you find that hook that keeps you running. It truly is an addictive sport :D In a good way! Happy Running and thanks for checking out my blog!

      Delete
  4. Wow, you are a super speedy runner! How fun to see a friend on your run! That Never happens to me.
    My mom just bought a pair of the Smart Wool socks and wore them on her run today. She loves them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, I'm really not speedy! But thanks :)

      Smart wools are amazing for Canadian Winters! I swear by them :)

      Delete
  5. Wow, you are a super speedy runner! How fun to see a friend on your run! That Never happens to me.
    My mom just bought a pair of the Smart Wool socks and wore them on her run today. She loves them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like you had a great run! I love those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty great :) The weather was very cooperative....thank goodness!

      Delete
  7. That looks like such an amazing day! I wish I was closer to you so we could do a fun long run day together :) I need running buddies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be awesome! I doubt I could keep up with you though :)

      Delete
  8. You seriously rock! 13 miles in 1 hour and 51 mins?!?!?!?!!? Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't know about 'rock,' but I had a great run ;)

      Delete
  9. At first glance, I thought you were mixing your Nuun with your Gatorade! I love my Nuun tablets, but since I've been having such a hard time making sure I'm getting enough fuel during the day (especially for my long runs), I prefer something with more sugar and carbs to give me the energy I need. However, I've learned the hard way that Gatorade makes me sick. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no. :( I love Gatorade on my long runs. I don't know what I'd do if it made me sick! I find nuun really good for digestion though. There's not a whole lot in to cause stomach discomfort and it's really low calorie!

      Delete
  10. Nice job on the long run! I agree, the weather definitely has been crazy lately. We just got a bunch of snow on Monday and now it's up to 7C! I don't mind the warmer weather, but I really dislike the slush and ice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slush and ice suck! I hate how cold and wet it is when you accidently splash in it :(

      Delete
  11. Hi Heather! I know I haven't posted in a while or commented on your posts, I missed reading them! I just did a tiny update post about what's up with us right now; we're moving! Needless to say, I've been a liiiittle busy! I'm still loving your Instagram pics and I'm looking forward to keeping up with your continued training! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Hillary, I've missed your posts! Glad to see you are still around :)

      Delete
  12. Great to get caught up with you! This warmer weather is so awesome - definitely hoping it stays around for a while :) ps. where's that Cherry Berry? Bayer's Lake?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This warmer weather IS awesome! I love it :D

      The Cherry berry is on Larry Uteck :)

      Delete