Tuesday, 7 January 2014

Back to School & Wild Weather

I have successfully completed two full days of work post-Christmas vacation! :) And I have only wanted to sneak into the staff room to nap a handful of times. ;) 
 
Monday
Monday morning had me so focused on not forgetting anything, getting Lola's walk in and leaving on time to avoid traffic that I forgot to eat breakfast! How does that happen?! I didn't even realize it either until I drove by a Tim Horton's....lol. Quick stop for a French Toast bagel-----Best Bagel I've ever had, for real! It was so good I called to tell Matt all about it and then he went and got one. He thoroughly agreed with my Bagel Review. :)  





It felt like I was swirling in a whirl wind after work on Monday with the back to work business into full effect. Never fear: it was nothing a short run couldn't fix.

I hope you are noticing the slight temperature differential in the past few days and Monday:  We literally went from being into the -mid twenties to +10.......so bizzare! :0  I was overheating on my rainy windy run.

My legs felt pretty good but I kept the pace easy as I ran a nearby subdivision.

The Run
4.25 miles
33:58 min
8:00 avg. pace/mile
Recovery Shake
Tonight's mix consisted of: Banana, ice, whey protein powder, orange, raspberries, blueberries, cranberries, Vanilla almond milk, chia seeds, spinach and Kale. I REALLY enjoyed the raspberries! 

In case you're wondering: No you cannot taste the spinach or kale, lol.


Tuesday
I have no idea why people say 'texting antics' are finding their way into the classroom???? LOL. ;) You see what I did there? One of my students made words using magnet letters and this was one of them.....

After all the kids left for the day I took total advantage of my VP's after school Yoga Class. :)  Let's face it: if it were left up to me to pack a gym bag, drive to a destination and attend a Yoga class, it would not happen. I have zero excuses when it is happening 'steps' away from my classroom.

We did many unwinding stretches and poses in the practice today. I am very happy I decided to go. I could really feel the stretch in Pigeon pose! I guess someone had tight hammies and hips. ;)

After Lola's walk in the super duper freezing -21 degree wind chill, I set out for my run. I have not traded in my teaching hat to become a meteorologist, but this "Polar Vortex" is seriously starting to become an issue...lol. FYI: I heard on the radio that 'Polar Vortex' is currently trending. I wonder if it will beat out 2013's 'Selfie/Twerking'??? LOL. Twerking is kind of fun to say, I am just too embarrassed to let anyone hear me say it out loud! {Sorry Miley}

The Run
5 icy windy miles
42:52 min
8:22 avg. pace/mile

While running in my 'ninja' mask,  I also picked up a few Compost bins that had toppled over onto the streets from the blasting arctic winds. Just in case you read about a masked lady in the paper tomorrow picking up peoples recycling receptacles.....haha....it was me.
The Balaclava kept my head/face toasty warm tonight. In fact, I tend to get a little too warm wearing this. But overall, this was certainly not my coldest run. :)  However it was definitely my most 'slippery!'  Black ice everywhere!!! I used careful footing and stuck to streets that had some snow cover. I had much better strides on the snow than the glossy pavement.

Let's hope for better conditions tomorrow. :D

Thanks for checking in on GGR and have a lovely evening.

What is the weather like where you are right now???

Happy Running,
Heather :)

16 comments:

  1. The weather in PA is nuts! We actually had off school today because of the cold! Apparently our heating systems couldn't take it. It was -22 with the wind chill. Luckily, today was a rest day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, really?! I love when Rest days land on not-so-great weather days :D

      Delete
  2. I'm in PA too! I will agree it is cold! Hope you get back into the groove of work. Going back after such a long break is always hard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Going back after an extended break IS hard. I'm totally exhausted and it's only Wednesday...lol

      Delete
  3. It's been rainy and very windy but not cold at all, around 40 F. What kind of yoga classes do you take?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our Yoga is the Traditional Yoga. I have really found it to be helping my running muscles. :)

      Delete
  4. Pigeon pose gets me every time, too! It's like a perfect hammy stretch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and boy did my hammies need a good stretch! lol

      Delete
  5. I can't even imagine running in conditions like that! So scary and cold! Good job on the run. I never would think to put cranberries in my smoothie, but I really like that idea. They are so super good for you.

    That word your student wrote had me laughing out loud. The things children do. That's why I love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try the Cranberries...they're super refreshing!

      My students are always coming up with things that make me grin. They are 6 and 7 years old ....which makes it even funnier! ;)

      Delete
  6. The weather has been fluctuating here too...-18 on Sunday to +3 today. I don't mind it but hopefully the nice weather could stick around a little longer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hear ya! When I was running tonight I had a quick flashback of my summer runs in shorts and a tank top :0 It was so easy to just go run then and not have to load on all my Winter stuff...lol.

      Delete
  7. Do you find it hard to breath through the face mask? I'm scared I'd feel claustraphobic in it. Pigeon pose is a great one for the ITB as well and my osteo suggested I do a modification of it up against a wall to loosen my periformis.

    You are hard core for running last night outside...I just don't know how you get yourself out the door sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't find the breathing hard at all. If anything the breath keeps me warm. :) Mine is not too tight. The top of the head is tight but it's quite loose around the jaw and neck.

      I always feel so much better and fresher after Yoga. I'm usually to lazy to stretch on my own merit, so Yoga kind of forces me to do it. :)

      Getting out the door is as easy as thinking how much I'll regret 'not' going ;)

      Delete
  8. If there were yoga near my school, I'd totally go. Welcome back to work! I've only been back a day and I'm already exhausted haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, you too! It's been very hard....I'm completely zonked and I have two more full days to go :0 Yesterday morning I told Matt that I couldn't wait to sleep in on the weekend, LOL.

      I am loving having the Yoga at school! I can't believe how much it helps me wind down after the day is done. :)

      Delete