Monday, 23 December 2013

Strength, Recovery Run & A Recipe You Must Try!

Happy Tibb's Eve!

I really hope you're having an amazing holiday so far! I am truly amazed at how I continue to find little things I've yet to complete before Christmas day. Truly amazed people. But it will all get done and on Wednesday I'll sit back and wonder what I was in such a rush for since Christmas is a time to enjoy with family and friends.

Strength
Monday's are usually a day of strength training/cross training for me along with a super short/easy run. Today I was super determined to melt away some fat. And this being the holiday season made the fat melting that much more difficult.....lol. Do not keep chocolates in your line of vision when working out......do not.

I started out with the following workouts:
  • foam rolling
  • yoga poses (table top, downward dog, plank, cobra and child's pose) x3
  • Stretches (figure 4, quad stretch, calf extensions and back stretches)
  • plank
Then I did my series of 8 ab workouts that truly burn your core! I did sets of 30 and gave my back a real good stretch after that. :)

Lastly I used my 10 lb dumbbells for some:
  • bicep curls
  • front shoulder lifts
  • over head shoulder raises
  • a few variations of chest & back exercises and
  • sumo squats
As seen above, Lola never misses a workout{raised eyebrow} or Lunch for that matter....lol.
Then I went to sleep for a zillion hours.  Just kidding! After my workout I had to race it to the grocery store. Do you know that I waited until TODAY to get my turkey?! LOL. Surprisingly there weren't that many people at the store :0

After the shopping, I raced home to put the food away and headed straight to the post office to pick up my Christmas presents from my sister Carla!!! :D And on the way home I had to drop off my car to my mechanic. 

I am such a multi-tasker! Here's why: I dressed strategically in my running gear so that I could run home from the mechanic (1 mile), drop off package super quick and head out to finish my run. :D Yes, I looked like I stole the package as I ran up the street with it under one arm.  FYI: it is quite challenging to run with only one arm doing the pumping. Try it and see!
The Run
3.36 easy miles
27 minutes
8:12 avg. pace/mile

I quickly showered following my run and was ready just in time for my teaching partner's visit. We snacked on some fancy cheese and crackers and divvied up some LOBSTER from a student! Yes we are that awesome. ;) 

I am completely amazed with the most yummy purple potato recipe I found online. It tastes and looks awesome! Give it a try:
 
Michael Anthony’s Fork-Crushed Purple Majesty Potatoes
Adapted from
New York Magazine
Serves 4
1 pound Purple Majesty or other purple potatoes, washed
4 small shallots, minced
2 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice
6 tablespoons good extra-virgin olive oil
Fleur de sel to taste ( I used sea salt)
White pepper to taste ( I used black.....lol)
2 tablespoons parsley, chopped


In a large pot, cook potatoes with skins on in heavily salted boiling water until tender, approximately 15-20 minutes. Remove potatoes from pot, and peel them while still warm. Place potatoes in a large bowl and, using a fork, gently smash them, maintaining a fairly chunky consistency. Fold in minced shallots, lemon juice, olive oil, fleur de sel, and white pepper. Finish with parsley.

Have a wonderful evening and thanks so much for stopping by!

Happy Running,
Heather :)

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad I'm not the only person who uses 10 lb weights. Is Tibb's Eve the day before Christmas Eve? Is that a Canadian thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahah....I used to use the 12s but since I stopped the frequent gym visits I've downgraded to the 10s! But it's all good. Apparently runners benefit more from high rep low weight type of exercises as opposed to the heavy lifting. ;)

      Tibb's Eve is a tradition that originated in Newfoundland (where I'm originally from) where it was considered the first day of Advent that it was okay to have a drink. The tradition was to wait until Christmas day to drink, but Tibb's Eve started as a way to move that date closer....lol.

      Delete
  2. Those potatoes are gorgeous! I'll definitely have to try that one out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly try them! My husband said they didn't 'look' appetizing, but tasted awesome. :D

      Delete