Monday, 30 December 2013

Monday Core & Strength

Keep Calm.....Monday is nearly done.  Just think: this is the last Monday of the year! Okay, what do I know. I'm still on holidays. ;)
 
The majority of yesterday afternoon was spent like this..........
 I can't wait for the next race to sport my argyle compressions in! Aren't they groovy?! You can't see it, but there was also a mug in my hand most of the day. I love coffee after a long chilly run. :)

Monday
Monday for me usually means core work along with strength exercises for my arms, chest and back. I also stretch and roll my legs out real nice painful.

Yes Lola, this is the foam roller. Now go play with your toys.

Apparently Lola ran long yesterday too and was totally exhausted......lol. {raised eyebrow}
 
After all the rolling, stretching and belly rubbing were done I dived straight into a plank.  Yep. 2:35 is when I plopped to the mat thought I was dead. Clearly there is some much needed work to be done here!

I saw this ab workout on Run Like a Girl BC's facebook page yesterday and was quite intrigued. So today I thought I'd give it a go. I literally sweat through my shirt and was completely toast at the end. Sneezing, coughing and lifting should prove to be very interesting tomorrow. Give this a shot to melt away some of that belly fat!

My ab workout was followed by some squats, shoulder presses, bicep curls chest and back exercises with my 10lb weights. There are no pics since I thought I'd save you the sight of my bulging biceps via phone pics....LOL.

Today's shake consisted of:
  • one banana
  • frozen pineapple chunks
  • ice cubes
  • frozen berry mix
  • one big scoop of strawberry whey protein powder
  • 4 tsp chia seeds
  • unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • a dash of water
Here's my Turkey soup that I made yesterday. This was very nice as my lunch this afternoon. 

As I was preparing my Year End Recap today, I realized that my legs have been very good to me this  year. Therefore, I decided to give them the day off from running. :) Be sure to check back tomorrow to read my Year in Running for GGR. Yes, I know the blogosphere will be booming with Recaps tomorrow....lol.

Thanks so much for hopping over to GGR. Have a wonderful day!

Happy Running,
Heather :)

9 comments:

  1. One of the gals in the group who is a trainer says that doing a plank for more than a minute in a half does not benefit us...it's better to mix up the type of planks for max benefit. Try downloading the 7 minute plank app on your phone...hard!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weird. Planks build stamina and strengthen your transverse abs. I do leg lifts and side planks as well before my ab workouts. Runner's World says to increase the time as your core gets stronger and to do repeats.
      I've tried the 7 min app, but was not a fan. My shins did not enjoy the jumping.

      Delete
  2. PS...I have my blog yearly recap ready to go as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've started to do planks when I wake up and before bed...hopefully I'll stay in the routine!

    Archie likes to plop down on me while I'm stretching/rolling too! Pets are the funniest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt so much stronger when I ran PEI this fall after doing 'plank a day' in August. It really strengthened my core. :)

      Lola LOVES workout on the mat time....lol.

      Delete
  4. I can't even get my yoga mat out without my labrador laying on it beside me! I have never done planks! I guess that's something I should try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know. Lola actually takes my foam roller, which is way bigger than her, and drags it onto the mat to 'play.' LOL

      You can do various types of planks to increase your core strength. I do some that Olympic Hurdler Lolo Jones recommends. :D

      Delete
  5. I just got those socks for Christmas! So cute :) dogs are just so good at interrupting aren't they? Mine started licking my face while I was doing glute exercises this morning, I think they thought I was dying haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE those socks! :)

      I definitely get quite a few face licks during my workout. I wonder if Lola thinks I'm 'hurt' or 'playing' when she does it....lol.

      Delete