Sunday, 13 October 2013

Weekend Runs & Cheering at The Valley Harvest!

Okay, how beautiful has it been this Thanksgiving Weekend here in Nova Scotia?! I really hope it's just like this wherever you are and next weekend on Prince Edward Island.  :) ((fingers crossed))

Giving Thanks
I am always appreciative and thankful for what I have, but I don't think I think about it as often as I could, or should. My Health, being right up there with Family and Friends, I am always grateful for.  I sometimes see a man in my neighbourhood in his wheelchair taking his dog out for a walk.  He always looks so happy and usually when I see him I'm exhausted on my run and wishing for it to be over.  Then I stop and think for a second about how serious and intense I feel in that moment and how I should just enjoy being able to lace up and run.

I promised myself and my husband that I would appreciate the little things, as well as the big things, when I made it home, unharmed, following the Boston Marathon this year.  And even with a life-changing experience like the bombings, you sometimes get caught up in the rigours of day to day life and forget to notice the little things. So for the little things, I am also Thankful. :)

And how could I not be thankful for THIS face? <3
Saturday
Who doesn't love Saturdays!?!?  I started off the day with a nice 4 mile scheduled run that somehow turned into 4.4 miles. Math is clearly not my strong side! Just kidding: This happened because I wanted to see the beautiful lake on my run, which led me to run 0.4 miles over schedule.

The Run
a crisp and clear 4.4 miles on the trail
34:32 minutes
7:51 Avg. pace/mile


Post-run I headed over to the Organic Market to stock up on Beet Juice. :0  Followed by a trip to the Running Room to get my supply of Gu for the Marathon.
I found the 'Beet It' brand at another Market and couldn't help but notice this label that would have prevented my last week freak-out regarding pink urine! LOL.  Let's be honest. You now totally want to try Beet Juice just to have pink urine too. Don't you? ;)
 
 
 
Hello! Salted Caramel Gu???? :D  Day Made!!!

And what would Saturday be without a latte?  Just another thing to be thankful for. :)
Sunday
So it's Valley Harvest day!  I've run this race since 2009 faithfully, except for this year. Reason being that the PEI Marathon is in 7 days!!! Yes, that soon.  Last year I ran the 10k as a tune up race for the upcoming Moncton Marathon and I've also done the half there twice as well as the full marathon 1 time.  It is always beautiful and well-organized.

Today I got to go and cheer on runners and see the whole experience from the spectator side. Even though I had no stress of toeing the start line, the race buzz pre-start was enough to give me the butterflies. 

Yes, the 50k is on my bucket list. ;) Someday. 
Both Courteney and Christie rocked their 5ks and many others I know totally smashed PB's. It was optimal weather for running today.

The finish of the Valley Harvest is super cool since you get to run 3/4 of a lap around the Acadia University track.  Talk about glory lap! ;)



 
I was totally exhausted, and chilled, when I got home. Oh yeah, I had to do my own run for the day after all that cheering. :S 
 
I headed out the door after lunch for my 8 miler.  I thought I'd be cold so I layered up and wore gloves. The gloves came off 3 miles in and the long sleeve came off at 4.5 miles. I love how I won't even stop to peel off a layer, even if it means nearly face planting myself on the sidewalk by the Coke Plant. FYI: running while trying to remove a shirt is super dangerous.  Do not try it at home! ;) 
 


If you haven't tried the nuun tablets in your on-the-run water yet, try the Cherry Limeade. It's totally awesome and my favourite thus far. :) 
 
The Run
8.26 miles
1 hr 4 min
7:48 Avg. pace/mile
 
I hope you've had an excellent Thanksgiving weekend and aren't too sleepy from all the Tryptophan. ;) 
 
What are you thankful for?
Are you having Turkey this weekend?
Did you run at the Valley?
 
Happy Running,
Heather :)

10 comments:

  1. I was wondering if you were running or not. PEI is next weekend!! That came so fast.
    We had a delicious dinner at Kenny's place today. I really wanted to do the 5k at the VHM, but apparently they sold out this year?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe PEI is coming up so soon! EEK :0

      We're having our dinner today. :) I can't believe they sold out this year. Matt's dad wanted to run it as well, but couldn't get in. Next year you can take your little one :)

      Delete
  2. We are thankful for you too Mommy! From Matt & Lola

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for coming with today and cheering. I'm thankful for (1) My Health (2) My friends and family ... including 4 legs (3) being able to run as I couldn't run this time last year...and finally (4) my job....I don't always like it but it could be far worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, our 4-legged friends are certainly family <3 You have a big family, ;)

      Thanks for putting in the 'job' one.....some days I need to reminders about this one. :)

      Delete
  4. Haha I definitely remember calling my mom in a panic, completely convinced I was dying, after having beets for dinner one night, so I can relate to wishing they came with a warning!!

    So hard to believe PEI is only one week away! You must be so excited :) I really need to try nuun tablets at some point, but just haven't got around to it yet.

    I had yummy yummy turkey on Friday and Sunday, and I'm just waiting to make some turkey paninis for lunch! I'm so thankful for the presence and health of my family and friends, my kitties :), and...my foam roller!! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL that beet story is hilarious!

      I am super psyched for PEI.....and nervous at the same time! :)

      Delete
  5. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I have to wait another month though! Maybe I should celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving too, so I can have two of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it! You can never get enough pumpkin pie. ;)

      Delete