Wednesday, 9 October 2013

Songs, Strength, Runs and Soup!

Can you believe it's already Wednesday!?  I'm truly amazed at how fast time goes by during the school year. 

Don't you just love my owl?! I think he's pretty great. I like to call him Hooty!  :D

Tempo Tunes
I have two new songs for you to add to your running playlist. They are pretty sweet running songs.

1. First off, if you own a radio, TV, computer or smart phone you know that Arcade Fire has recently released the title track from their new album!  It is totally awesome.........check out "Reflektor," by Arcade Fire. Heads up: This song is over 7 and a half minutes.

 
2. Next up is the never disappointing Metric with their new song, "Breathing Underwater." Love love love!
Let's do this day by day...........

Monday
As a part of taking the "magical taper" seriously, I decided that I would not run today no matter how badly I wanted to.  No running at all. Like I mean 'Zip.' 

Therefore, I plunged right into a strength workout with eight sets of 30 reps ab series and multiple exercises for my arms/chest/shoulders/back. There was also some foam rolling happening...which if I may say, was the most painful experience in life ever in the history of time. (Legs tight???)  Lola supervised the whole thing. 

Tuesday
I headed out for a 4 mile Tempo run around six thirty and by the time I got home at approximately 7:01 it was completely dark outside! :(  I am not happy about this, but I guess it just means that the reflective vest and I will become ever so good buddies. :) 

The Run
4 miles
30:00 minutes (EXACTLY!  I've never seen that happen on my garmin, lol)
7:30 Avg. Pace/mile

I came home and planked for 2 minutes. Then I plopped to the floor.

Wednesday
Tonight I headed out for a steady 6 miler. I felt pretty good and the air was very crisp. I even thought that I should have maybe worn gloves.  Too bad I didn't think of this before I left the house. :S

It was okay though since I warmed up after 1.5 miles pretty good.

The Run
6 miles
45:51 minutes
7:38 Avg. Pace/mile












Soup
I've been secretly happy that the weather is cool now. That makes for great soup making temperatures!
 
Tonight I roasted big chunky vegetables in EVOO. The veggies included:
  • 1/2 of a red pepper
  • 2 carrots
  • 1 pint of grape tomatoes
  • 1 sweet potato
  • 4 cloves of garlic
  • 1/4 of a sweet onion
I sprinkled the vegetables with salt, pepper and oregano. Then I roasted them for about 35-40 minutes.  When I removed them from the oven I allowed them to cool a bit before letting the food processor puree it's little butt off. The one thing I love about the food processor is that you don't need to meticulously chop everything perfectly.  :) 
 
Then, Voila---Yummy Fall soup!


Merci for keeping the virtual waves of communication going with GGR! ;)

Happy Running,
Heather :)
The PEI Marathon is in 10 days!!!!

2 comments:

  1. You've reminded me that I need to get back into planking daily. Building back up to 2 minutes is going to stink, but now that I'm running again I know I need it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know what you mean. Building up to planking for 2 min+ is super hard. My whole body vibrates! LOL

      Delete