Monday, 28 October 2013

Great Mail, Taco Soup and Group Run

You'd better be having a RUNderful day! I told you that was my new favourite word. :)

Look what came in the mail today!!!
I was super delighted to pull a package out of my mail box today that was for ME! Don't you just love when you receive packages....like real ones, not bills and stuff. ;)

Lola was all over that but I quickly dashed those puppy dog hopes .... "Sorry Lola, this one's for Mommy!" :D

In case you're wondering why I look like I've seen a ghost in the above picture, it's because Hal Higdon, yes THE Hal Higdon, requested my permission to use pieces of my Boston Story from Girl Goes Running! In his captivating story of the journey of 75 Boston Marathoners, myself included, he takes you from pre-start {at the Athlete's Village} to the moments after 4:09:43, the clock time of the Bombings. Check it out. It's awesome!

Yes, here's my name, IN PRINT! :D Okay, I think I've got all the excitement out of my system now. ;)
Soooo Cool!
Taco Soup
So I finally got around to making the Hungry Runner Girl's Taco Soup, or in her words Fall in a bowl. It WAS as awesome as I imagined and therefore I demand you try it! ;) 

Here's what you need:
1 lb. extra lean ground beef (I am sure you could do ground turkey or no meat at all if you wanted)
1 large onion-chopped
280oz. can crushed or chopped tomatoes
1 15-oz can tomato sauce
1 15-oz can corn, undrained
1 15-oz. can kidney beans, undrained {I didn't have any but used black beans}
2 14-oz. cans pinto beans, undrained
1 envelope hidden valley ranch dressing mix
1 envelope dry taco seasoning (2 Tbsp)

Here's what you do:
1.  Brown beef and onion in skillet.
2.  Put all ingredients in slow cooker and cook on low for 4-6 hours
3.  Garnish individual servings with tortilla chips and shredded cheese, green onions and sour cream.
Easy Peesy Lemon Squeezy!

This will certainly warm you up on a chilly Fall day. :) You're welcome!
Group Run
After work today I met up with Courteney to go for a run with our new neighbourhood running group I mentioned to you on Saturday.
 
Pre-run fuel: candy corn + white chocolate chips = the fuel of champions! ;)
 

Court and I ran to the meet up area for 0.5 of a mile and the group run was 2.4 miles in total.  Then obviously we ran home, lol, for another 0.5. 

The Run
3.4 miles total
8:09 Avg. pace/mile
 ??? Total minutes :(

We ran in a nearby subdivision in groups. There were probably 10 runners or so there! Way to go for getting your exhausted from work butts out the door and onto the roads! I always feel better after decompressing the work day on the pavement. :)

Check out these fast ladies post-run.....in the rain. Tough or what? ;)  Many people had left by the time we snapped this shot....next time!
 

Thanks so much for checking out GGR. I hope your week is off to a beautiful start.

Happy Running,
Heather :)
Lucky 7 Relay is in 19 days!

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for including me as fast...but alas I am not. I have determined if I can't be fast...at least I can help others...LOL Also thanks for running over and back with me...the back part was easier...LOL You rock girl!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did awesome running tonight! Wasn't that nice downhill on the way home sweet? ;) I love your initiative in getting others out there....look how many people you've brought together!

      Delete
  2. Mmm, I may have to make this soup!
    I was running tonight after work, it was the perfect weather. I would not have been in your fast group though, my pace keeps on dropping;) Still felt awesome though! Of course it was followed by a walk with Sadie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely try that soup! I love piling tortilla chips on there. :D
    It was awesome weather for running. Unfortunately the rain cut into our 'chat post-run' time. :S Oh well, we just got wet that's all....lol.
    If I ever get pregnant, LOL, please remind me of how dedicated you were during your pregnancy with working out! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never get tired of reading the stories of the Boston Marathon. There were so many courageous heroes who stepped up to help, and the running spirit refused to be broken!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know what you mean. It feels like it was yesterday. I was helped by complete strangers for cell phones, car rides and consoling. We're (runners) a tough crew!

      Delete
  5. What!!!! That's amazing! I love that it was mailed from him. Definitely a keepsake, for sure! Can't wait to pick it up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes. I held on the envelope with dear life! I had some pretty awesome bedside reading last night too. :)

      Delete
  6. That's pretty neat that you were in his book! How did you get to be part of that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm slightly excited. ;) After the Boston Marathon Hal Higdon called out via facebook for runners who were a part of the Marathon, and for any "Bloggers Out there???" That was my cue. I sent my blog link, along with many other runners and then he requested permission to use GGR in his book. Obviously permission was granted ;)

      Delete