Sunday, 1 September 2013

Shine On & Sunday Long Run

Wow, a blogging award! Yes, that's right. Nominated by my BFF Courteney from Runner Girl.  It's the Shine On Award!!! Head on over to Runner Girl and check out her site!

It's awesome to get an award for something I love to do. Thank you! :) 

Here are the rules for the Shine On Award:

1.  Visit and thank the blogger who nominated you -check!
2.  Acknowledge that blogger on your blog and a link back –check!
3.  Share 7 random interesting things about yourself -check!
  • I am the oldest of three girls in my family, no brothers.
  • I have 2 tattoos......lol.
  • This is my natural hair colour. :0
  • I'm a worry wart!
  • My right calf muscle is significantly larger than my left. :S
  • I'm a home body, and I like it. :)
  • I'm very cranky when I'm tired or hungry.......just ask Matt. ;)
4. Nominate up to 15 bloggers for Shine On Award, provide a link to their blogs in your post, and notify them on their blogs. – take a peek below and I'll be working on notifying my nominees. :) -check!

Okay, I only read a select number of blogs and they've already been nominated, but here they are:

Swift Fox
Idle Hide
The Misadventures of a Darwinian Fail
Hit the Ground Running
Cross Training
Colene, In Training

 5.  Copy and paste the award somewhere on your blog.-check!

Sunday Long Run
I fuelled up on Saturday night with this dinner of BBQ chicken, roasted vegetables and fettuccine with basil pesto.  Scrumptious and filling!

The weather was forecasting downpours of rain so I made sure I was out the door as early as possible!  I couldn't sleep very well last night due to the humidity, so I didn't get up until seven. I ate breakfast, walked Lola, did a few other things and was out the door before 8:30. 

My first ten miles were very rolling with hills.  My legs were not super fresh since I pounded out 12 miles on the road yesterday.  Luckily I wasn't going for speed today! ;) 

I have a suggestion for Sunday morning breakfast cookers: If you are cooking bacon, ham, sausage or any other breakfast meat, set up a sample table out on the curb, please! Those smells drive me insane.

At 13 miles I wanted to go home...lol.  I was so tired.....more mentally I think.  I fuelled up on the run with a Vanilla Orange Roctane Gu and a Chocolate Gu.  I also gobbled up a package of those Sunkist real fruit gummies too.  My liquids for hydrating on the run were Citrus nuun water and blue Gatorade.  You'll be happy to know I took enough fluids with me today and did not run out. :)
The Run
20 miles
2 hrs 56 minutes
8:48 pace/mile

When I returned home, this is what was waiting for me in the entrance! :D Matt leaves me Gatorade when I have a long run and he is at the office.  I literally chugged it down in less than a minute......the whole bottle. 
 
In my recovery shake today I put all of the same ingredients as yesterday with the addition of Chia Seeds. I was using Chia seeds as a part of my diet in the Spring of 2012 when I ran my fastest marathon ever (3:32).  So, I am trying my best to make my running performance peak for me and am hoping these Chia seeds will aid in keeping my body hydrated along with many other benefits. 
Recovery
This afternoon I elevated, compressed and drank a protein smoothie! I also watched some movies and napped with Lola. :D I am prepared to hate my stairs tomorrow. ;)

Thanks for checking out GGR and have a happy Labour Day tomorrow!

Happy Running,
Heather :)

8 comments:

  1. chia seeds are so amazing for you, and I actually really like the texture of them.
    I was thinking of you today doing your 20 miler- great job!
    Thanks for the nomination!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Your blog has motivated me on many occasions!

      I like the chia seeds as well. They're also good stirred into yogurt. :)

      This 20 miler killed me and my legs...lol. I'm hoping my next one is better ;)

      Delete
  2. Breakfast smells get me every time as well! You've nominated some blogs that I have yet to follow...I'll have to check them out!

    Great job on the 20 miler!!! Rest today if possible!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, head on over and check them out!

      Thanks........I'm planning on working out and was going for a bike ride, but my tires are flat again! LOL.

      Delete
  3. I tried posting a reply...but I think it got lost.

    Breakfast smells get me every time as well!

    You've nominated some blogs that I don't follow...I will have to check them out for sure!

    Great job on the 20 miler...try and rest a bit today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha....I laughed when I read this one!

      Here it is!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the nom!! I'm going to complete my response post sometime this week :o) You are so inspiring and totally deserve this award!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ali! I do love your blog as well :D

      Delete