Sunday, 15 September 2013

Recovery Run & Bean Burritos!

Well, it's Sunday evening already! Where does the weekend go so fast???

Tempo Tune
This is a great song for a Tempo run! Or any run for that matter. :D  I used to listen to this a few years ago. I'm pretty sure it was when I was still living in Newfoundland...........yes, that long ago!

It's 'An Honest Mistake,' by The Bravery. Check it out!

Post-Race
I was feeling quite sore in my hamstrings and calves today when I got out of bed. :(  I did expect to feel this way so I wasn't  alarmed, lol. My side obliques were also quite tender. I guess that means that I gave my run a good go yesterday!

Today I decided that I'd just run easy for the amount of time my body could safely run without injury.  I went very easy along the trail out to the lake and then turned in the other direction towards the waterfall. So many people were out enjoying the beautiful sunny weather. It sure was a nice change from all the rain we've had recently. 

The Run
7.5 easy miles
8:32 Avg. pace/mile
1 hr 4 min

And, here's Miss Lola totally exhausted....you'd think she ran with me! ;)

This afternoon Courteney messaged me to go with her to check out the fabulous dream home that you can purchase tickets on. It's very close to where we both live, so we decided to go check it out. The 1.2 Million dollar home is absolutely stunning, and which room did we get excited about? The gym.....LOL. I had to check out the elliptical!

What's for Dinner?
There was a Canadian Running Magazine in my race kit for Maritime Race weekend and it had a very tasty looking recipe in there for Bean Burritos. I have never actually had a 'Bean burrito' before, so I thought I'd give it a try. They were a hit!

Here's how to whip them up:
  • Sautee chopped onion in oil (I used EVOO) for about 5 minutes and then add in the following:
  • one cup of COOKED long grain rice
  • 2 chopped garlic cloves
  • 3 diced tomatoes
  • chopped jalapeno pepper if you like it zingy :D
  • crushed chilli pepper
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • I also added in a dash of Tex Mex seasoning
  • Oh yeah, and a can of black beans! (drained and rinsed).
  • Then warm whole grain tortillas and spoon mixture down the centre.
  • I topped mine with shredded cheddar/mozza and spinach.
  • *My pic doesn't show the ginormous amount of salsa I then topped it off with. :) 
Enjoy!

Tomorrow is September 16. Why do I tell you that you ask? Well, it's significant because I can finally throw my Boston Marathon 2014 registration in the hat and hope with all my heart that my squeaky 3:33 will get me into next year's running. I honestly think my chances are slim with the heightened interest of runners this year, but if I don't try, I'll never know! Wish me luck. :)

My Boston Medal on the left and Matt's 2011 medal is on the right. :)
What was the highlight of your weekend?
Have you ever tried Bean Burritos?

I'm so glad you came to see me!

Happy Running,
Heather :)

3 comments:

  1. I love The Bravery! Such a great band to listen to on the run.

    Your medal dwarfs Matt's! So funny!! I think I heard Boston is doing a much bigger pool this year so hopefully you'll get in!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Bravery!

      It's so weird how much bigger they made the medals this year compared to two years ago. I like hanging them side by side and telling Matt that "Mine's bigger!" LOL

      Delete
  2. So 1:38 better than BQ gets in to Boston for 2014, did you make it?

    ReplyDelete