Sunday, 18 August 2013

Tunes, Ice Cream & Running

I hope you are having a beautiful Sunday Run Day wherever you may be. :)

Tempo Tunes
Let's get this post started with some great music. You must run to this song! I am really digging Serena Ryder's,  "What I wouldn't do." 

Have you heard it? And don't you love it!?
Since I haven't posted since {cough} Wednesday, I will recap my past 4 days of running & rest. :)
 
Thursday
Today I was doing a pace run of 4-5 miles.  I wasn't sure if I'd do 5 or stop at 4...lol.  I ran out to the lake and came back.  It was  a great sunny breezy day.  At 4.5 miles I got a weird niggle behind my right knee. It felt like the same tendon pain that I was experiencing before the Boston Marathon.....which I kept on the down lo so that you didn't think I was setting the excuse stage in case I ran poorly. ;)  Therefore, the run was cut short at 4.5 miles with a nice cool down walk of 0.5 miles home. 
 
The Run
4.5 miles
36:15 minutes
8:01 pace/mile
 
Friday
Oh yes, Friday. The Rest day. I actually took this day completely off from working out. Matt and I headed to one of our favourite places to eat.  It's in Wolfville, Nova Scotia. Check out this pulled pork sandwich:
 A meal like this is great motivation for my .................

Saturday Run
This was an easy pace in the trail.  Another great warm and sunny day to nail down a ten miler.  I think taking a rest day on Friday helped the tendon pain dissipate. I had no pain on the run today. :D

The Run
10 easy miles
1 hr 25 min
8:35 pace/mile
Recovery Shake
Today's shake consisted of

  • one banana
  • a handful of ice cubes
  • one scoop of whey protein powder
  • 1/2 cup of mixed blueberries, strawberries and blackberries
  • 1/4 cup of almond milk
  • a splash of water

After my run I went grocery shopping.  Don't go shopping for food following a semi-long run.  Everything and anything I saw landed in my cart. Including these babies.  Look, there are no yellow skittles in this pack! Day made. 

Okay, who is going to help me with my current problem? I need an ice cream intervention. :S My latest craze is Orange Sherbet.  Oh my god oh my god! How delish is this stuff?!
 

Sunday
Today's run has been fuelled by way too many skittles and way too much ice cream, (way too much sugar).
 
I started out with a new to me breakfast today. Yes, that is an Eggo Waffle and they do still make those!  I figure if the ladies from Hungry Runner Girl and Run Eat Repeat can fuel up with these yummy bad boys, than so too can this GGR! ;) 

For today's run I ran out in the trail, yes again....lol. I try to keep the radius of my long runs as small as reasonably possible, as opposed to doing a straight out and back......which for some reason Matt prefers to do.  I know, boys don't always make sense. ;)  I do this for safety reasons, like if I get injured or something forces me to have to return home.
 
I left my house and headed out to the left section of the trail first for about 3 miles.  Then I turned to hit up the right section of the trail.....this side takes you into the city of Halifax.
 
I had a 17 mile run scheduled and I was kind of excited to do it. Long run days are my favourite running day of the week.
 
The trail was very busy today, which I find comforting.  I fuelled up with a Vanilla Bean Gu at 10.75 miles.  It was so yummy. I also used a different type of fuel today. Sunkist real fruit gummies. They are tasty little buggers! There's only like 6 in a pack and each pack has 80 calories with 21 grams of carbohydrates. I thoroughly enjoyed them though at 13.5 miles. :D
 
In this top left hand pic below, I am trying to show you how I am the master long run packer. Yes, that is a thing. ;)  I have Gu stuffed in my bra, gummies stuffed behind my Gatorade, kleenex in my waist band, wires for my music in my tank and an extra elastic around my Garmin. I also love how this fuel belt can fit my phone.  I was kind of annoyed when I first started taking my phone with me.  It took up extra room that I could have used for candy gummies fuel. ;)  But, I highly recommend taking a phone with you on your runs, especially when you're running long and solo!
 
 
The Run
17 miles
2 hrs 27 min
8:39 pace/mile


Recovery Shake
I was dreaming of this on the run today. Especially during those last 3!  So, remember I mentioned that I am hooked on Orange Sherbet ice cream? Well, I planned to use it today in my shake. :D  Here's my concoction:
  • one banana
  • one orange
  • two scoops of ice cream
  • handful of ice cubes
  • 1/4 cup of almond milk
  • a splash of water
  • *** I was out of frozen pineapple chunks. :(  But I am totally trying that with the smoothie next time!


And lastly, here's Miss Lola who loves to greet me at the entrance when I arrive home. :) <3 She doesn't know it, but someone has a grooming appointment tomorrow! 

Thanks again for checking in on this GGR. Have a spectacular day!
 
Happy Running,
Heather :)

8 comments:

  1. What's the restaurant in Wolfville? I really miss scotskins from joes. Oh how I miss Joes.

    My long run was today too... my longest yet, 13k. I'm paying for it now! I'm going to update my blog after the boy goes to bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Awesome job on the long run! You must feel so proud. :)

      We go to Paddy's Pub in Wolfville. We love it there! I've never had Joes.....I must try it out. :)

      Delete
    2. Paddy's is good too! If you go to joes, get the scotskins. They are like potato skins, but a little different. They put their special spices on them, with cheese, and bacon if you want it. They are a heart-attack-on-a-plate, but oh-so-delicious!

      Delete
    3. haha... heart-attack-on-a-plate, now that sounds like a good post-long run treat! ;)

      Delete
  2. I love those Sunkist fruit chews...unfortunately for me, I don't eat them to fuel...just cause they are so good! Great running this week...not sure how you do it considering you just ran a great half last weekend! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Courteney!

      Haha....those gummies were on sale at Sobeys this week!

      Delete
  3. I feel like I'm the only person I know who wears my water SUPER low on my hips. Maybe I should try wearing it on my waist to see if it bounces less!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you say that....bouncing is the main reason I wear mine so high, even if it looks dorky-LOL!

      Delete