Thursday, 8 August 2013

Indulgence & Progression Run

There....my weekday runs are completed for this week.  Now I can rest up until Sunday morning, 1/2 Marathon Race day at Marathon by the Sea!

Indulgence
So, yesterday was our 3rd wedding Anniversary. Can you believe that!? How else did Matt and I choose to celebrate? The Keg of course. :D

I absolutely love going to the Keg, even if I cannot finish my entire meal.....lol.  They always bring out the warm bread basket as an appetizer and I cannot get enough of their Cesar salad.  Yummo!

Okay, when I was waiting for Matt to come home from work so we could go out, I was sitting in my rocking chair and it reminded me of the photo I took recently of me wearing my purple pro compressions.  I thought this would make for quite the contrast....lol.

Progression Run
What is this you ask?  Well, it's basically a run where you start out at a slower pace and then gradually increase the pace in small increments.  If done properly, you will complete your last mile faster than the first, second, third, etc.

I've been reading a lot about Progression runs recently in online articles and in other running blogs that I check regularly. I haven't been reading my Runner's World magazine though......it hasn't arrived yet {cough}.  Can you say, Late!?

They (Progression Runs) sound like they have such a great rationale behind them that it just makes sense to do your runs this way and to teach your fast-twitch muscle fibres to stay engaged. Therefore, I thought I'd experiment with this technique on today's run. 

If you would like to read more about Progression Runs click here. :)

When I woke up today, my legs felt pretty fatigued and stale so I decided that I'd start out easy and if I couldn't manage to pick up the pace, I'd just do an easy run.  :)

Before I could head out for my scheduled 4 mile run this morning I had to get my sneezing attack under control. :(  I had a crazy bout of allergies that came out of nowhere! Luckily for me running is a natural decongestant so I felt much better once I got going.  I may have stuck some Kleenex in the waist band of my shorts just in case. ;)

The Run
4 miles
31:05 minutes

Breakdown of the 4 miles:
1. 8:09
2. 8:01
3.7:38
4.7:15
Overall 7:46 pace/mile

I have to say that I enjoyed doing my runs this way.  I will definitely make an effort to complete more of my runs in this fashion. :) 



I have nothing but R.E.S.T. from now until Sunday..................aaaaah. :D 

Refuelling
Today's post-run recovery included a protein smoothie and a Cara Cara Navel Orange.....no this isn't a grapefruit, {cough Matt}. :D

Smoothie

  • one banana
  • 5-6 ice cubes
  • 1 scoop of whey protein powder
  • some blueberries
  • some frozen pineapple
  • some frozen cranberries
  • I was out of almond milk :( so I had to put a dash of water in ......it was still refreshing :)
 
 
My mid-afternoon snack was a coffee and a delicious Cheese Scone that I picked up at our local Farmer's Market.....Goodness gracious, it was divine!  I'll certainly be picking up more of these. Does this count as Carbo loading??? ;)
                                            

I am so glad you came by.  Thanks for visiting and have a beautiful evening!
 
Happy Running,
Heather :)
       
 Psst: Wish me luck in the 1/2 ;) 

4 comments:

  1. You're going to do great on Sunday...a new race for you...YAY!!! I think I do progression runs, although not intentionally...I just try for negative splits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the contrast photo. Killer legs on you! (And I mean that in the most platonic way!).

    Congrats on your wedding anniversary, and good luck at the race!

    ReplyDelete