Tuesday, 20 August 2013

4:09:43 & 100th Post!

4:09:43
I'm starting out with some exciting news today:  Hal Higdon's book 4:09:43  is now available to purchase online! I spent a good chunk of last night reliving the events of April 15th, 2013 in Higdon's detailed representation of the journeys of approximately 75 Boston Marathoners, myself included. It is only $3.50 to purchase through Amazon.  You can buy Higdon's ebook here.

It was engaging to read the recounts of other runners and their experiences on that day. Some of which I was running close by and even receiving medical attention at the same time as.  Obviously we didn't know each other, but I felt a bond with them, with all the runners on that day as I read their stories and thoughts on that Marathon Monday. 

Higdon does an exceptional job capturing the feelings, whether it be joy, pain, exhaustion, dehydration or jubilation, of the runners on course and at the finish area.  I am honoured to be a part of Higdon's story that recaps a run into history.

You can read my recap of the 117th Boston Marathon here. :)

100th Post
Okay, I know it definitely doesn't feel like it to me, but today is my 100th blog post on Girl Goes Running!  {crowds cheering}. I'm not even sure why I told you that, lol, but I was gushing to Matt about it last night, so I thought I'd share that with you.

Now, here's some information about what I have been up to for the past two days.....in case you're at all curious.....lol.

Monday
Following yesterday's long run of 17 miles, I decided I'd do an easy recovery run in the trail.  There is some anal tendency within me that will not allow myself to stop at 3 miles (4.8 km). I have to go until it's 3.1 miles so that it's 5k..........problems? I think so.





My legs were quite tired on the run today so I decided not to push the pace at all. I turned on some mellow tunes that don't 'pump me up' for running and embraced the crushed gravel trail as a massage type run. 

The Run
3.1 easy miles
26:29 minutes
8:31 pace/mile


Following my run I did some core work and an arm workout.  For those interested, it hurts when I laugh today.....lol.
 
The Ultimate Recovery Shake
Well, this is what I'm calling it...lol.
  • one banana
  • 5-6 ice cubes
  • one scoop of strawberry banana whey protein powder
  • one orange
  • frozen pineapple chunks
  • 1 big scoop of orange sherbet ice-cream
  • 1/2 cup of pineapple coconut water
  • Enjoy!


What I'm Eating..................anything and everything in my sight

That moment after a long run when your appetite kicks into full gear!
{Source}
Monday's dinner:
Chicken Ciabatta sandwich, brown rice and garden salad.  I sautéed some onions and peppers to add in with my shredded chicken and topped with cheese. Yummo!

A Coffee flavour I'm really digging these days: Folgers' Caramel Drizzle......mmm. 

I've been trying out Coconut Water recently and it's been a task to gulp down a can/glass. :S  As it turns out though, I really enjoy the Pineapple Coconut Water seen in the picture above with my shake recipe. You must give it a try.  Check out some of the info. on Coconut water here.
*Regular coconut Water*
Tuesday's Breakfast:
Oatmeal with blue, black and raspberries. Oh and you know there was coffee. :)

Today's run was a scheduled 4 mile run. I decided that no matter how sluggish I felt, or how hot/humid it was, I'd push the pace gradually in Progression Run style.  And yes, I did feel sluggish, it was hot AND humid. But I got the run done!
 
The Run
4.78 miles total
 
Mile Splits:
1. 8:00
2. 7:49
3. 7:36
4. 7:11
 
0.78 recovery jog: 7:45
 
Avg. Pace: 7:40 pace/mile 
 
 
 
 
 
Post run I headed out to Cora's for a brunch date with a friend. 2.5 hours sure flies by fast when you're eating delicious food and not staring at a Garmin. ;) 
 
Have a beautiful day wherever you are and thanks for stopping in!
 
Happy Running,
Heather :)

9 comments:

  1. I tried to find the orange yogurt but couldn't...so settled for cherry vanilla....yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that your easy recovery run is faster than my 5k pace!! I'll have to check out Higdon's book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure didn't feel easy though! Definitely check out the book. It is very well written. :)

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on your 100th post, they have all been excellent and we look forward to reading 100 more.

    We Love You,

    Matt & Lola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sweetie!
      We'll have to keep running and racing so that I have solid material! ;)

      Love you guys :)

      Delete
  4. I also love the PC pineapple coconut water over regular stuff. Kenny can drink the regular stuff, but I cant and he made me drink a bottle after my marathon haha. He was looking out for me, but I nearly gagged.

    100th post! Whoop, Whoop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe I haven't been drinking the pineapple kind, knowing my love for pineapple flavoured beverages. :D

      I also can't believe I've written 100 posts since February!!! I'm a gabber! ;)

      Delete
  5. There's a chance you're eligible to receive a $1,000 Amazon Gift Card.

    ReplyDelete