Monday, 8 July 2013

Stretch and Strengthen Day and New Marathon


Happy Monday!

Today started out with some good old S & S-Stretching and Strengthening.  I did many many ab workouts today.  I just cannot get that washboard ab look!  I'm sure it has little or nothing to do with my torrid love affair with sugars and carbs, right?  I began with the regular 'crunch.'  I always try to do these fancy trendy workouts, but the plain crunch is quite killer.  Try 50 of them right now and get back to me!  ;)  After that, I did a variety of side crunches, leg lifts, toe touches, etc.  And finished with Child's pose to stretch out my back. 

My strength workouts included a few variations of the plank, shoulder presses (front, sides, and top), bicep curls, tricep dips, and chest. 

Oh yeah, there may have been some FRIEND's reruns involved as well. :D
 
Lola got bored and just decided to nap during workout time.  <3

There was also some foam rolling involved which proved to be a challenge:
Lola presumed that the mat was for her to eat her ice cubes on and when I proceeded to 'roll' she immediately thought it was a wrestling match between her and my feet. :S 

I decided to take a rest day from running today since yesterday's 14.5 miler left my feet a little sore.  Time for new sneaks??? I think so! I plan on doing some shopping around and getting my feet properly fitted at one of the Running stores in the city this week. 

Surveys
Coincidentally enough, when I logged onto Canadian Running Magazine's site today there was a survey to complete regarding running/races/costs of the sport, etc.  If you take part in the survey, you will be entered to win a new pair of Asics running shoes! Yes, I answered the 45 questions in hopes of new shoes....I'm that person, lol. 

New to Me Marathon!
Guess what I'll be doing at 8 a.m. on October 20th??? You guessed it---running the Prince Edward Island Marathon! {Crowds cheering!}.  I submitted my registration this morning....I am amazed at how quickly I can type in my credit card info. from memory, online: that's a good thing, right? ;) 

This Marathon is new to me.  I have a few running friends who have taken part in previous years and I've heard rave reviews. 

"The marathon course is described as having rolling hills and one of the most scenic marathon routes." {Source} 

One of the things I noticed was the super fast finishing times of the runners, including some from people I know who have run the PEI Marathon.  The first overall finisher finished in a whopping time of 2hrs 37min and 55sec!!! Wowza! 

My ultimate goal for my 7th Marathon will be to do 3:30 or less!  Ambitious? Probably, but we'll see!  Hopefully no bloody toes or scorching temperatures will stand in my way this time, ;) 
 
So here's how Marathon planning goes down in this household:

I print off a training plan for Hal Higdon's Intermediate 2 Training Schedule. Then I go through the calendar up to race day and plop dates in accordingly.  I also sync races to my schedule as well.  I really lucked out this year in some respects.  As it turns out, I'll be running the Tely 10 Road Race on July 28th, and my training plan for the marathon coincides on that exact day with a 10 mile long run!  Cool. :)

 A close up of the schedule:
 
Ahhh, that feels so much better now to have a goal race officially registered for and a training plan on the fridge! {deep sigh of relief}.  I just simply cannot be trusted during my 'free running' phase, {the period of time where I am not training for a specific marathon}.  I just go out and run for as long as I want....since I have oodles of flexibility now during my Summer Vacation. :D This type of running for me often leads to injury. :( 
 
Looks like I have a 'scheduled' 3 mile run tomorrow.  :)
 
Do you plan out your year in racing?
 
What are your plans for the rest of Monday?
 
Do you complete online surveys too?
 
Thanks for stopping by Girl Goes Running!
 
Happy Running,
Heather :)


9 comments:

  1. The PEI is the half that I'm training for. We'll have to get together, meet in person, and maybe go to the expo together... Come Courteney, register so we have have some girl-runner fun!

    And yeah, I like to have a race to train for too. I register and then I feel like I HAVE to train or it'll be a waste of money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin, I would definitely love to meet in person! I am unsure of travel details as of yet of course. After seeing so many beautiful pics on your site, I am looking forward to this scenic course.

      I'm glad to hear someone else 'needs' a training goal, lol.

      Delete
    2. If you don't mind staying a bit of a distance away from Charlottetown, you are certainly more than welcome to bunk here in one of the cottages!

      Delete
  2. I totally need something to work towards...why else would my credit card be loaded with race names and $$. We'll have to see if I register for something after my 1/2 is done. I'll probably run something at the Valley Harvest the weekend before as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's pretty much what my credit card looks like! lol. We'll probably be at the Valley as well....that would be our 5 time! I think you should have a go at the 10k or the 1/2! :D

      Delete
  3. TeethNightGuard is offering personalized fitting and high quality customized dental guards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just received a check for $500.

    Sometimes people don't believe me when I tell them about how much money you can make by taking paid surveys online...

    So I show them a video of myself getting paid $500 for doing paid surveys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you need your ex-girlfriend or ex-boyfriend to come crawling back to you on their knees (even if they're dating somebody else now) you got to watch this video
    right away...

    (VIDEO) Why your ex will NEVER come back...

    ReplyDelete