Wednesday, 17 July 2013

Construction, Semi-Long Run & Embarrassing Moment

Hey,
I hope you're having a wild and wacky Wednesday! ;)  Please excuse the alliteration.  It's the teacher in me I swear.

Today was a scheduled semi-long run, also motivated by a delicious Ginger cookie courtesy of Lenore yesterday....lol.  It was, yes you guessed it, pretty darn warm when I trotted down the street for my jaunt in the trail today. 

I don't think I mentioned the major construction that's happening here in my town, did I?  Well, the main road that connects us to the city is currently having it's bridge replaced. Even though we have to go a longer distance now to get to Halifax, I am delighted about this because I am hoping they widen it for my winter running.  I usually pray to God when I run by there in the winter that I won't get hit...since it's super narrow. Anyway, it is out of commission for at least 2 months!!!! :0   I was actually terrified that it would somehow cut off the entrance to My trail, but it didn't. So now I don't have to go down there and roughen up those big construction guys....hehe. 

So, here's how it currently looks:

 
 
I used to run over this little river. Now I would have to be a very long jumper to reach the other side!
So, the run. It was a few degrees cooler today than yesterday, but temps were still hovering in the mid twenties. My legs were super sore, mainly my quadriceps, from yesterday's intervals----which tells me, it's working!  Is it weird that when I woke up and stretched my legs, I got excited that they were sore? LOL.
 
The Run
10 miles (steady run)
1:18:45
7:53 pace
 
Recovery Shake
Today's shake was very refreshing!  I tried a different combination of fruits that I hadn't yet mixed.  I always get nervous that it will taste gross and I would have wasted perfectly good fruit and protein.  Not the case today!
 
Today I blended:
  • one banana
  • 5 ice cubes
  • one scoop of whey protein
  • 3/4 cup of frozen pineapple chunks (from Costco)
  • 1/2 cup of frozen cranberries
  • 1/4 cup coconut almond milk
  • 1/4 cup orange juice
  • blend until smooth :)
 
 It was very tasty and I enjoyed it out on the sunny deck post-run. 

Embarrassing Moment! Well, sort of....lol.
Please play this video as you read this section---Pretty please with a cherry on top!
I had a few errands to run this afternoon and of course, just like when I run, I crank the tunes when I drive, especially when I drive alone.  Today, I popped in a CD that said "FALL 2011" on it.  I had no idea what sort of music I listened to almost two years ago so I decided to give it a go. And that's when this song came on.............."Hey I just met  you, and this is crazy, so here's my number, so call me maybe!"  :D Come on.  You know you know the words! ;) You probably think that you hate this song, as I did. But the truth is, you love this song and it's catchy flash-mob beat!  Try it, you'll see.  :D

I was driving along singing my heart out like I was on American Idol or something.  I even did the actions, with the pinky-thumb phone and everything.  Head bob included. That's when I came to a red light and saw an older man in a mini-van looking over with an eyebrow raised.  Yes, LOL. I was that girl.  I hope you are entertained by my unfortunate timing and intense Carly Rae Impressions. You're welcome. 

Beverage of Choice
Okay, Matt and I consume out-of-this-world amounts of Gatorade.  When I went into the grocery store today and saw this I heard angels singing.  That's a sweet deal! 
Well, I have to go prep dinner.  I hope you are not singing 'Call me maybe' all night.....hehe.  Okay, secretly I hope you are! ;) 
 
Thanks for poppin' in at Girl Goes Running.
 
Run Happy,
Heather :)
The Tely 10 Road Race is in 11 days!


4 comments:

  1. Can I say that I was bopping my head as I read your blog....funny moment for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That tune is just too catchy! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admit I LOVE that song. Always have!

    I haven't run all week... my knee is still wrong. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no Erin! What's going on with your knee? Have you had it checked out? I hope you're back at it in no time. :)

      That song is so darn catchy! Lol

      Delete