Tuesday, 7 May 2013

Tunes, Kicks and Strength

Hey guys,
I hope your week is off to a fantastic start.  We've been super spoiled here with the weather lately, which is making it that much harder to get work done, lol.  I can only imagine how the students feel!

Songs
I didn't name this one "Tempo," but it would be great on a mid-distance/long-run for sure.  Matt thought I'd like it and sent it to me.  I loved it! Matt says that [I] "abuse songs."  Guilty. lol.
 
This one is Tegan and Sara, "I was a fool." Check it out:

I love how their songs have that 'eighties' feel to them.  :)

New Kicks
I just ordered a pair of asics 2000s from Hashem.  I really like them, plus he sent me free Wigwam socks!
Check out my new sneaks:
My old asics 2170s have been through many miles, and cleaner for that matter!  The blood from the blistered toes at the Boston Marathon DID come out afterall.  An EPA at my school brought me in a bottle of Lestoil.....I haven't seen this since I was a little kid at my Aunt's house in Newfoundland and Labrador.  I soaked the sneaker in a bucket with the Lestoil and cold water....not 'hot' as I had previously thought, dried them out with flyers and voila! They were sparkly clean again. :)



Source
Strength

I decided to give my legs a rest day on Monday....even though the weather was superb and I saw many many runners out-----Runner's Envy.  I took Lola for a long walk.....felt long I'm sure because every fence post, hydrant and blade of grass 'had' to be sniffed.  :S 

Instead of running, I did some core work, squats and arms.  My core workout consisted of eight sets of 30 reps.  These are the ab workouts I mentioned in a much earlier post that Matt taught me.  I still remember the names of most of them that we gave them, hehe. Squat total=50.

For arms, I worked biceps, shoulders .....oh and I also worked some of my chest/back. :) Let's just say I was sore this Tuesday morning..... :) Very worth it though! 

I always follow my strength workouts with a protien shake.  We like the 'Strawberry Vanilla' Whey protien...yum!

Tuesday's Run
Tonight's run was a short run.  I did Fartleks, which is a Swedish word for 'Speed play.'  I know, I giggle inside every time I say it...hehe. 
 
 Fartlek is unstructured and alternates moderate-to-hard efforts with easy throughout. After a warmup, you play with speed by running at faster efforts for short periods of time (to that tree, to the sign) followed by easy-effort running to recover.  Source
 
It was great running weather outside tonight with sun and a nice breeze.  There were many people out as well. 
3.25 miles with fartleks.  Overall pace: 7:25.
I am getting a lot of questions about where I got my new 'lunch bag' at work...lol.  It's because I'm using the little goody bag that Courteney did up for Heidi and I on our Saturday evening get together.  I tried to get a picture of all the goodies for you to see, however the Gummy bears didn't quite make it....lol. 
I've been doing nightly reading from the magazine and I already did my nails...they
looked super cool.  The t-shirt also fits great. Thanks again Courteney!
 
Well, thanks again for visiting.  Hope to see you on the roads!

Happy Running,
Heather :)

P.S. The Blue nose 1/2 Marathon is in 12 days!!!



1 comment:

  1. Good web site you've got here.. It's hard to find good
    quality writing like yours nowadays. I honestly appreciate
    people like you! Take care!!

    My web-site Solpria Review :: wiki.autojuvo.com ::

    ReplyDelete