Saturday, 11 May 2013

Spring Fling and Other Things


Don't you just love weekends??? :) I sure do!

Tempo Tune
So I've been hearing snip-its of this song on the radio on my way to/from work lately and I never hear the beginning or the artist...grr! Don't you hate when that happens?  I started to think something was up and it was on purpose....lol.

It turns out I just you-tubed the lyrics of a line I remembered and it is..........

"This is what it feels like," by Armin van Buuren ft. Trevor Guthrie. 

After all my searching and wondering, please give it a listen! haha.

New Plan
You know, Hal Higdon has basically a running plan on his website for any type of race, recovery, level, etc.  Which is one of the reasons I've continued to follow him since I started running. 

This being the start of racing season, I'm obviously going to do more races following the Boston Marathon.  Therefore, I needed to have a structured smart plan where I don't have the freedom to be over zealous and 'injure myself.' :(  Which is probably what would have happened since I felt pretty good these last few weeks.  Following a marathon though you have to be very careful in terms of running/recovery.  Marathons apparently cause micro-trauma to the muscle fibres that take longer to heal than normal running muscle recovery. 

That being said, I'm following Hal Higdon's "Multiple Marathon plan." This plan should help me with speed now and allow me to race a 1/2 or a full on Father's day at the Johnny Miles Race Weekend. Fingers crossed! :)  This will most likely be the 1/2 considering I don't like to run long races in the heat :)


A Snack You Must Try
Who enjoys snacking?  :D  Me! I graze all day long.  My students know me so well...lol.  They know I love to eat and that I love to run....enough said.  As I'm shooing them all outside on Thursday for Recess, (since I was on duty outside they had to leave when I did, ready or not), one of my grade 5 girls asked, "Ms. Callaghan, have you tried these?  They're 'Smartfood' hummus chips."  Me, "No, are they good?"  "Yes," she says.  "My mom bought them, and she's a runner too.  So they're really good for you." lol.  She let me try one and let's just say I now have two bags of chipotle bbq hummus chips in my cupboard.  :)
 
 
Friday
For some reason I was totally exhausted to no end on Friday.....lol.  Other teachers were saying the same thing so I think it was okay. It was also a 'Rest' day for me, but I took my running gear to work in case there was running club.  It ended up getting cancelled due to the rain. :(  So, Rest day it was! (and I was very fine with that).
 
When I came home I felt sort of guilty for not running, so I took Lola for a nice long walk and then cleaned my floors.  Does mopping/sweeping count as cardio??? It sure feels like it! lol.
 
Friday night's dinner was quite scrumptious if I might say.  :) We were all out of chicken so I made salmon, with brown rice and roasted vegetables.  I baked the salmon with roasted red pepper and garlic seasoning.  Then I roasted my broccoli and bell peppers with EVOO and Thai seasoning.  Very tasty!  
 
Spring Fling
Well, I volunteered at my school's Spring Fling this morning with NO intention to buy anything unhealthy.....yeah right!  As I worked in the prize walk room the marvellous smell of something sweet/baked was just tantalising!  When I finished I did a walk around to check out all the booths, tables, etc.  and I stumbled upon this:  
Yes, I ate it and yes it was awesome! :D
 
The Run
7 miles
52:46 min
7:32 pace/mile 
 
Happy Running,
Heather :)
 
P.S. The Blue Nose 1/2 Marathon is in 8 days!!!

3 comments:

  1. I want to know how you roast your veggies and for how long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey,
      I put them in a pan with EVOO and some spices (garlic is king!):D and roast them for about 20 minutes. If you don't like them as crispy put tinfoil over them. :)

      Delete