Monday, 18 February 2013

Storm days, Soup, Strength, and Songs

Let it Snow
Well, not really how I am feeling right now.  Although as it turns out, being a teacher on such days allows you to extend the weekend and all its glory one more day!  I like that.  Yesterday as I was doing dishes I told my husband that it was nice to be able to see the grass out back again. And today, it looks quite wintery out there. Oops...spoke too soon!
 
Today was  a great day though. I got some extra zzzz's that I'd surely long for if I were to get up when the alarm went off at six on any other typical Monday. I enjoyed a second cup of coffee....mmm.  My best source of fuel for running, work, crankiness...lol.  My bfff ,(best furry friend forever <3, lol ), and I also got to have a nice morning walk that wasn't rushed as it often is.  I managed to go back and fill in some missing data into my training log.  I am now at 220.55 miles since Jan. 1! That's 352.88 km.  It is very motivating to see that  number and compare it in terms of driving distance.  There was also a bit of shovelling to be done since the wind was blowing the snow all over the place out there....boo! And of course, I got to do some cooking, which is another love of mine.
 
Runner's Palate
I was determined today to embrace the cold stormy weather outside by making a hearty soup. I had read in a recent Runner's World mag. that soups are great fuel for runners during the winter. After digging through the fridge I came up with the following ingredients to include:
  • Celery
  • Carrots
  • Onion
  • Garlic
  • Green, orange, yellow and red bell peppers
  • Sweet potato
  • Tomato
  • Chicken
  • Pasta noodles
  • Chicken broth
                              So, a-choppin' I went....lol. My kitchen smelled terrific!

After some stirring and simmering it was ready to be sampled. I thoroughly enjoyed it and will definitely be having this for lunch this week at work. :)


Another power food I've been using as part of my recovery is grapefruit.  I love them! Grapefruit leaves the room smelling so fresh. They can be quite messy though...lol.  I am hoping the vitamin C packed fruit will help stave away the cold.....I Do NOT want another one of those!  Citrus fruits are apparently great to help speed up muscle recovery after a long run.  I did not know that until recently.  I don't think my mother understands how I can eat them....lol. I wish you could have seen her face when I was peeling one this summer.  She asked disgustingly, "Are you going to eat that Heather?!" LOL. 
 
 What's fuelling  you these days? 

Cut to the Core? ;)
A part of my Marathon training schedule calls for 'cross-training,' which, to be honest...I do not actually enjoy.  Except for biking the trails in the summer...I do enjoy that.  Very much.  I feel that teaching 45 kids within three different grades each day in a school that has 60 stairs from top to bottom is great cross-training! haha.

One thing I do to maintain my core strength is to do various ab workouts. I also like to have strong arms too.  I feel like it helps me propel faster especially during up hills. My husband taught me 8 different ab exercises in 2009 in a series that I still do now. We even have names for them, i.e. 'the breakthrough,' 'row your boat,' lol...etc. I do 30 of each type for a grand total of 240! Unless I'm feeling totally ambitious and add in a few extra.....super rare! lol.  I haven't been as diligent this year with abs :(  but I'm working on it.  I am mostly blaming Lola because when the yoga mat comes out..............this is what happens!
Someone thinks it's for her to play/stretch on. When I do get down to workout I usually get things like a squeaky gorilla, teddy bear, or tennis balls plunked onto my chest, which is assumed I throw for her of course. Oh Lola.....you are too cute!
 
For my arms I usually just use my 10lb dumbbells. I do bicep curls and front shoulder work.  I like front shoulder lifts and the one where you bend over and lift your arms in a 90degree angle....not sure what it's called, but it kills!
 
Tempo tune to tryout!
I have stumbled upon a new song from the UK....they have all sorts of great music over there!  It was suggested by David Guetta, so how could it not be good?! Here it is:
 
I Could Be the One (Nicktim Radio Edit), by Avicii & Nicky Romero.
 
This song is great for running a speed session, tempo run or just for working out! Give it a listen. :)
 
Thanks for dropping by!
 
Cheers,
Heather :)
 


2 comments:

  1. Holy girl...I have no idea how you come up with so much energy...even on an unplanned day off. Love the soup idea...there is nothing better than knowing that your lunch is made the remainder of the week...can I ask what you use for broth? I'm going to try a new workout idea that I found on pinterest. I'm going to right ideas on popcicle sticks and put them in a cup. I will draw out 10 per day and do what it says. We'll see how that motivates me.
    Thanks for keeping me on the straight and narrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Courteney, I used low sodium chicken broth. I prefer it over the beef kind...I don't know why, lol. I love the popsicle stick idea!
    Thanks for your help setting up my blog! ;)

    ReplyDelete